To crimp or not to crimp 223

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

To crimp or not to crimp 223

Post by flashman » 15 Apr 2018, 9:04 am

Hi just wondering if any body crimps 223 rounds ,why I ask is because went to the SSAA range got set up opened a box of reloads, I had 1 round that was pushed back into the case, now didn't use that box ,when I got home use my RCBS bullet puller to check neck tension ,bit crude all felt tight ,so collected the bullets ,powder and reassembled them , ok where did I go wrong it never happen before......... :?:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: To crimp or not to crimp 223

Post by sungazer » 15 Apr 2018, 9:28 am

How many times had they been reloaded? If the answer is a lot then in may be time to anneal the cases as when they get hard it is harder to get the neck tension correct.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by flashman » 15 Apr 2018, 10:13 am

Hi checked my reloading log ,this lot of OSA brass was on its 8th reload , only anneal every 10th reload ,might have to rethink my thinking???????
Sungazer how many times before u anneal ,I find it depends on the quality of the brass...........
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 15 Apr 2018, 10:20 am

especially if you have a big jump to the lands buy a lee factory crimp die and lightly crimp
I think they are around $25, remember a slight crimp
don't worry about the annealing if you crimp
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 15 Apr 2018, 10:46 am

If it was only one in the box that was visually set back in the case, I would have a really close look at that case neck. You may find a crack. Push a projectile in the neck point first ( this will put some pressure on the neck to open up) and use a magnifying glass to inspect the neck.
One set back projectile in a box of reloads does not mean they are all faulty, expecialy if you have done this many times.
It reminds me of some 17HMR threads. After eight firings they would be getting pretty hard.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by flashman » 15 Apr 2018, 11:11 am

Hi Bill, haven't check for cracks , I inspect them all after a good tumbling and most of the time there in a serviceable condition ,could of be a hair line fracture I missed ,will give it a good looking over and report back ,thanks........... :shock:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 15 Apr 2018, 11:19 am

Hi Marksman,no I don't crimp but I do anneal after 10th reload ,I thought I get 10 out of OSA brass its good ,we think ,some brass is better then others.... :)
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 15 Apr 2018, 11:59 am

76692D9B-1C39-41B8-99D7-EED8711C1C73.jpeg
76692D9B-1C39-41B8-99D7-EED8711C1C73.jpeg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 4690 times
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 15 Apr 2018, 12:09 pm

Hay Bill u were spot on thanks will take more care after 5th or 6 reload in my inspections ...... shoot lots ,have fun :)
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 15 Apr 2018, 1:17 pm

Problem solved. All good

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 15 Apr 2018, 5:03 pm

Then for both reasons I would change your annealing program bring it back to 4 or 5 loads you may save yourself some split necks and prolong the life of the brass. I am on about a 3-4 firings depending on other stuff.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by flashman » 15 Apr 2018, 5:21 pm

Ok sounds good Sungazer ,s#*t might have to by a machine :mrgreen: , batches will be getting smaller then it be back to square 1 again, buy ,buy .......... :lol:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 15 Apr 2018, 5:31 pm

I have been using a Map torch I don't have the $ for a good induction machine any other I think while it might make it easier probably doesn't have the precision needed for the process to be don't just right. I have just purchase a cheap ebay induction heater to have a play with. That wont be an easy road I need to get JustStarting on board he is the technical Giant around here :) all kidding aside I reckon he could probably put a pretty good piece of kit together much cheaper than the $1600 for a AMP machine.
How about it JS a collaboration?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Apollo » 15 Apr 2018, 5:44 pm

Maybe you should ask around, even on another Forum... like AHN where you may find someone like me that can do your annealing for you for a couple of drinks.

Pity you are so far away.

Induction Annealer, AMP... well, target cases are annealed every reload, hunting/varminting cases at least every 2nd reload. It takes just a few seconds to do each case once one is tested under the new Aztec Mode.

I have and still offer to do any annealing for anyone in the Bathurst, NSW region that asks... so far not one taker. The only restriction is that the Cases are all the same quality/brand and not a collection of s**t.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 15 Apr 2018, 5:57 pm

Oh, BTW....

No matter what the brand and/or quality of brass cases. 10 reloads without annealing is really pushing the limits of any case so no wonder the split neck.

As I am sure annealing with Gas is a bit hit and miss unless one does an awful lot of testing with temp then all and every case is the same. I was going to go Gas and if I did I would anneal every few reloads if it wasn't for precision use.

Split necks are a sure sign of hardness stress. Why we clean and inspect every case before reloading.

Not everyone has the knowledge nor the gear and hence why a Forum for discussion and offers.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 15 Apr 2018, 8:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLcZFQaaxp4

Skips case annealer, I have built two, needs a little tuning and mechanical nouse but works well.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 15 Apr 2018, 8:43 pm

Would be great if you were near me I would certainly take you up on your offer. You would never need to buy another spirit drink again. what forum is AHN. the AMP is a fair way down the wish list. I think I have a set of A&D up there first then an Autotrickler.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by flashman » 15 Apr 2018, 8:56 pm

Like to thank you all for your input ,and some very interesting avenues to which to go , more reading / you tube ,thanks :drinks:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Apr 2018, 9:25 pm

It is possible that the case did not get resized however you would have felt that the projectile seated will little pressure. If the rest were fine and the case wasn't split then this may have been the cause.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 16 Apr 2018, 11:44 am

AHN is Australian Hunting Net.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by flashman » 17 Apr 2018, 7:48 pm

Scj429 ; good point, but no the case did have a split in the neck ,and neck tension would of been compromises, so the plane is to aneal more often between reloads maybe 3&4th loads .... :)
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition