Quickload calculations for double charge!

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Quickload calculations for double charge!

Post by andym79 » 02 Jan 2014, 6:04 pm

Hi guys,

not that I ever plan on doing it but I would like to know the likely pressure produced from double charging one of my loads.

I previously used a load in my 30-30 that couldn't be double charged, but pursuing accuracy has lead me to a load which makes it possible. The same is true of my 6.5 x 55.

To attempt, to exclude a double charge, I weigh each case empty, charge, weigh and then seat the bullet. After I have finished loading a batch, /I place a dummy round on the scales and weigh each round against it.

If some body who has quick-load, could please run some simulation for me it would be greatly appreciated! I want to determine if I am playing with fire, and how hot that fire is!

The loads (if doubled) are as follows:
30-30 165 grain cast RNFP seating depth .475", OAL 2.510", no filler AR2205 34 grains
As above with AR2207 32 grains.

6.5 X 55 140 grain cast, GC, seating depth .270", OAL 3.000", no filler, AR2205 34 grains.

Thanks
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Quickload calculations for double charge!

Post by Davies » 03 Jan 2014, 8:27 am

I think you're a bit obsessed with double charges mate ;)

Just pay attention and relax, you won't blow yourself up.
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Vati » 03 Jan 2014, 8:54 am

30-30 165 grain cast RNFP seating depth .475", OAL 2.510", no filler AR2205 34 grains

For the 2207, working it out from the pressure figures ADI quotes for 2207 with a 170gr pill I think you'd be around 46,360CUP or 52,380PSI.

This is compared to 32,600CUP or 31,520PSI with the ADI max recommended load of 22.5gr.

This is really stressing the math part of my brain as it's been forever since I've done anything like this :lol:

Short version... it would obviously be a lot more pressure than you'd ever want.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 03 Jan 2014, 9:44 am

andym79 wrote:To attempt, to exclude a double charge, I weigh each case empty, charge, weigh and then seat the bullet. After I have finished loading a batch, /I place a dummy round on the scales and weigh each round against it.

Not trying to be a smart ass here, but ever thought of just looking in the case after dropping each powder charge.

It would be immediately apparent if one was doubled.

If any were suspect you could just empty/load them again. It would still save you tonnes of time without triple handling the brass.

Just trying to save you some time ;)
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition