Reclaimed shot - where to get it?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reclaimed shot - where to get it?

Post by bladeracer » 26 Apr 2018, 5:21 pm

Somebody told me a while back about reclaimed shot, but I can't recall if it was here, email, FB chat, or wherever.

Can somebody tell me where we can get reclaimed shot at decent prices?

I've been chatting with a guy whose shotgun club has a contractor come in and recover the shot, but they sell it for $3500 a tonne, which seems extraordinarily expensive to me.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Reclaimed shot - where to get it?

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Apr 2018, 5:30 pm

Lead is $2580/ton at the moment (according to business insider commodities) lead shot ballast $2.60/kg

http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2093
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Apr 2018, 6:16 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Lead is $2580/ton at the moment (according to business insider commodities) lead shot ballast $2.60/kg

http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2093

Yep, but he wants shot to reload shotshells. I just want it for casting bullets.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Apr 2018, 6:56 pm

What about reclaiming it from some old car batteries, I did that to make a keel weight for a boat. I got them from a wreckers for nothing.
Free is the best price there is.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Apr 2018, 7:11 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:What about reclaiming it from some old car batteries, I did that to make a keel weight for a boat. I got them from a wreckers for nothing.
Free is the best price there is.

Not enough lead in usable batteries to be worth the effort.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Apr 2018, 7:50 pm

I got a decent coffee mug sized lump from each battery.
I imagine there'd be a few bullets worth in each, but it depends on how many you're looking to make I suppose.
I'm a little OCD about recycling so making something worth nothing into something of value is a philosophy with me.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Apr 2018, 8:13 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:I got a decent coffee mug sized lump from each battery.
I imagine there'd be a few bullets worth in each, but it depends on how many you're looking to make I suppose.
I'm a little OCD about recycling so making something worth nothing into something of value is a philosophy with me.

I agree wholeheartedly with your philosophy, but batteries are a lot of work for very little lead. For casting it needs to be cleaned of impurities and toxins that are released when melted. Better to pass them onto recycling yards and put that money to clean lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWx7lTadMq0
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Apr 2018, 9:43 pm

We were prioritizing density over quality.
Horses for courses, I probably would've prefered something more pure if firing it from a cherished firearm as well.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by junjun » 26 Apr 2018, 10:27 pm

I guess you can try SSPC in springvale. At the pistol ranges I see so much lead downrange. Bring a scope and it is yours.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Apr 2018, 10:32 pm

Bladeracer try some tyre places where they balance wheels all the damaged weights that can't be used again
get thrown into a bin I usually get some for sinkers for fishing and it is good lead
Yep melting lead is bad for toxic gases new or old lead
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 28 Apr 2018, 4:44 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Bladeracer try some tyre places where they balance wheels all the damaged weights that can't be used again get thrown into a bin I usually get some for sinkers for fishing and it is good lead
Yep melting lead is bad for toxic gases new or old lead
cheers

I recover most of my bullets for recycling, and top up with lead shot and bullet alloy. I have nearly 40kg (over 600,000gn) just in recovered .22LR bullets already waiting to be turned into pure lead ingots.

Clean lead doesn't give off toxic gases unless you get it far hotter than you want it for casting bullets. Dirty alloy could give off all kinds of stuff though, regardless of temperatures.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Apr 2018, 6:11 pm

Clean lead doesn't give off toxic gases unless you get it far hotter than you want it for casting bullets. Dirty alloy could give off all kinds of stuff though, regardless of temperatures.[/quote]

That is a myth. And a dangerous one. Molten lead gives off lead vapour, just like hot water gives of vapours. The vapours are toxic if breathed in. It is particularly dangerous for young growing brains. (children) Always cast bullets or sinkers in an area where there is plenty of ventilation. The air movement should be moving the vapours away from your face.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Apr 2018, 8:48 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Clean lead doesn't give off toxic gases unless you get it far hotter than you want it for casting bullets. Dirty alloy could give off all kinds of stuff though, regardless of temperatures.

That is a myth. And a dangerous one. Molten lead gives off lead vapour, just like hot water gives of vapours. The vapours are toxic if breathed in. It is particularly dangerous for young growing brains. (children) Always cast bullets or sinkers in an area where there is plenty of ventilation. The air movement should be moving the vapours away from your face.[/quote]

I believe even solid lead gives off particles?
As long as you don't have your nose in the pot I think any lead vapours are unlikely to be inhaled. I'm not disputing that lead is dangerous, but I feel that the potential other contaminants in dirty lead are a greater risk. Burning off the arsenic for example.

I wouldn't allow children to even handle lead fishing stinkers.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 29 Apr 2018, 10:34 pm

I can get hold of some...$2.50/kg...
Not much good to you over here though...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2018, 12:34 am

Stix wrote:I can get hold of some...$2.50/kg...
Not much good to you over here though...!

Depends on the shipping
It was only about $40 to ship 25kg of bullet alloy down from Brisbane.
My brother drives to Adelaide pretty regularly so he could maybe pick me up a load.
Can you PM me some contact details?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Apr 2018, 11:44 am

s**t Stix,I could go some too.....:D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 30 Apr 2018, 12:40 pm

Ill get in contact with them...i dont want to hand their details out everywhere without first checking...& obviously supply is limited...

My contact is not in adelaide--based rural--so it may be a case of having to wait.
Also its the usual #7/#7.5's...

Ill let you both know when i get hold of them, but this time of year they are most likely away.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2018, 12:56 pm

Stix wrote:Ill get in contact with them...i dont want to hand their details out everywhere without first checking...& obviously supply is limited...

My contact is not in adelaide--based rural--so it may be a case of having to wait.
Also its the usual #7/#7.5's...

Ill let you both know when i get hold of them, but this time of year they are most likely away.

Much appreciated.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Apr 2018, 4:13 pm

Cheers
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 May 2018, 3:47 pm

To Blade & Pete...
Ive tried to send you both Pm's re this topic...

Im not sure if they going through--screen says message sent but still shows it sitting in outbox...
Seriously...technology...fair dinkum gets me sometimes...!!!

Anyway, PM me either way if still interested...maybe include email address or some alternative form of contact outside this platform.
Cheers
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition