Fire Form Brass - No Projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Fire Form Brass - No Projectiles

Post by YoungSC » 11 May 2018, 10:00 am

I've seen some videos where brass is fire formed without wasting a projectile by putting something else in front of the powder. I don't like the thought of wasting 100 projectiles for 100 cases before I can develop a target load.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? I like the look of tissue wads, but wanted to know if there are any gotchas or other sage advice.
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Re: Fire Form Brass - No Projectiles

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 May 2018, 10:48 am

G'day YoungSC,
Are you using fast pistol powder? You can fill the space with an inert filler such as semolina or tapioca, and plug the mouth with paper. I have used PVC glue in the past when I needed to transport rounds to the range for firing. I know of one person who fire formed with his usual comp load and projectile, in a competition, and top scored for the day! He did die form close to spec before shooting, though. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by YoungSC » 11 May 2018, 1:22 pm

Thanks mate,

I'm planning on using AR2209, which I understand is on the slower end of the burn scale. I'm guessing the semolina/tapioca is fine ground, similar to the cream wheat that the yanks use?

I started reading your last sentence and thought you were going to say 'He did die.. from an exploding barrel'. :shock:
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by Noisydad » 11 May 2018, 5:21 pm

I made 50 brass shells by fire forming for my .410 out of .303 shells.
First, the new shells were annealed then loaded with the normal charge of Hercules 2400 powder with half a poo ticket stuffed in firmly on top. Had to do it twice but the job worked and I have shells that will reload many more times than plastic ones.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by marksman » 11 May 2018, 5:28 pm

I fireform a few different cases without projectiles
I use AP70N ADI shotgun powder for dasher cases from br cases
the method is to try a powder charge and keep going up in charge till you form the cases with a nice squarish shoulder and still have a respectable length
no filler at all, and plug the neck with soap so the powder does not fall out, I recommend not pre filling until you are ready to fireform as there is moisture in the soap
do not shoot the soap at anything you do not want to destroy as it might, and dont over heat your barrel
some people use a wax to plug the neck, it is only to stop the powder falling out

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition