Testing loads.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Testing loads.

Post by Gaznazdiak » 18 May 2018, 10:12 am

Stix wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:
Stix wrote:Hi Diddums
In case you're not aware, treat every brand & batch of projectile as being different...especially if you're seating so close to the lands.

Infact ive had .015"-.025" difference between 2 different batches of the same nosler BT, where one batch was .015" shorter OAL but .025" longer in base to ogive than the next batch.

So if you're seating one proj .005" off the lands, & you seat different proj's without checking/changing the seater die, that different proj may well be .020" off the lands...or jammed, & this can give you vastly varying results.

So if you're not already doing it, check a few bullets of each batch for the distance to the lands. :thumbsup:

Like tom says, pick the most consistant bullet so far, & try that one...
Try that bullet with different charges of a given powder.
Then try the best couple of charge weights with the bullet seated at different depths.

Im not entirely sure of exactly what you've tested, so apologies if im suggesting things you're already doing. :)

Hey Stix
I'm not contradicting, just asking because I am close to the bottom of the learning curve in the reloading dept, so maybe I have something misunderstood.
If you have your seating die set for a certain COAL for a given type of projectile, isn't the distance between where the die meets the ogive and the base of the shell holder what determines COAL?
If so, wouldn't a slight variation of length in the projectiles mean they would just be seated either deeper or shallower into the shell rather than closer to or further from the lands?

Hi Gaz...what sungazer said...!!
And my attempt to answer to you...
I always thought every round i loaded should be the same once pressed out too--in theory--but i found occasions where rounds were all over the joint in base to ogive...but i always assumed the seater die is machined in such a way so it will only touch the ogive.

Having asked guys on here (if my memory serves me correct-i think sungazer & marksman mentioned something a while back when i posted a question about micro seater dies) i have learned that dies aren't all machined that way & some do touch the bullet at the tip.
Again from memory, marksman & maybe others have even drilled out the stem of vld seater dies to aid in consistant seating.
Ive not yet gone to that extent (only due to available time).

I once had nos bt's as mentioned in earler post that had a huge difference between batches.
I didnt check for differences between them before loading, & the load test i did was all over the place.
Where i got results on the first round of testing, confirmation wasnt there on the 2nd shoot--in fact i got such varied results i thought someone mustv slipped me a mickee... :crazy:
So i tried again & got good results but at opposite ends of the charge weights--(so what happened was during the 2nd load test i had switched to another batch--effectively a COMPLETELY different projectile)
Thankfully i kept one dummy round & a spare proj from the first batch & discovered that due to the diff in ogive, there was a difference of up to .040" off the lands between all 3 load tests. :roll:
Anyway, i learned the hard expensive way--that was 120 rounds over 3 months :shock: with no result :thumbsdown: & my scalp scratched down to my skull wondering wtf was going on. :unknown: (i wanted to hurl that rifle down the street at one point :twisted: )

So i now always test measure a good few of each batch of bullets & write down oal & ogive, & expect to adjust seater die every batch of bullets.

So now im off to eat then start loading for a hopeful session on saturday. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Sounds logical.
When you are dealing with thousandth of an inch measurements something only has to be a poofteenth out to put something else out etc.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Testing loads.

Post by Diddums » 23 May 2018, 10:23 pm

Went and tested another 15 rounds of the 35.5gn ammo, got some good results. They were all 5 shot groups.

The first group I rushed a bit but I slowed it down for the second and third.
SmartSelect_20180523-222137_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20180523-222137_Gallery.jpg (685.91 KiB) Viewed 3080 times

I think might run with this and see how I go
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition