Where are the Bergers?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Where are the Bergers?

Post by YoungSC » 15 May 2018, 10:36 pm

I've been doing some reloading research in preparation to buying some kit. Berger bullets seem to be widely used by target shooters at the top, so I figure, why not start here.

Looking around sites in Australia, seems the 6.5 Creedmoor 140gr Hybrid Target is in short supply. Anyone else having a problem?

Any recommendations for other projectiles that will give good results?
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Re: Where are the Bergers?

Post by duncan61 » 15 May 2018, 10:46 pm

I have always found Sierra Matchking to be perfect for target shooting.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by eddahenry » 15 May 2018, 10:53 pm

they are in the mist of changing where they are manufactured as they where brought out , will be a few months before we see solid supply in AUS
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 15 May 2018, 10:55 pm

I just went to their website and they do a good range of 6.5mm
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 15 May 2018, 11:10 pm

YoungSC wrote:I've been doing some reloading research in preparation to buying some kit. Berger bullets seem to be widely used by target shooters at the top, so I figure, why not start here.

Looking around sites in Australia, seems the 6.5 Creedmoor 140gr Hybrid Target is in short supply. Anyone else having a problem?

Even Brownells list them as out of stock.
https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php?route=product/manufacturer/info&manufacturer_id=181&limit=100
Might be worth importing them yourself from somewhere if you're buying bulk. I think the shooters at the top are buying thousands and sorting them by numerous means to whittle out the few hundred they actually need for competition.

Actually, I recall somebody just posted several hundred Berger bullets on FB somewhere - I'll see if I can find it.

Found it, but they're .30-cal sorry. Might well be worth asking on there though, somebody might have a bunch or know of some.
"Australian Reloading Talk & Trade" on FaceBook.

Otherwise, maybe try the Match Kings or Tipped Match Kings.
Attachments
Bergers on FB.JPG
Bergers on FB.JPG (77.06 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 May 2018, 12:15 am

I have used Hornady eld-m with excellent results like .3-.5 also Sierra Matchking as Duncan61 said @ .3-.5 and Berger vld hunting @.2-.4
I haven't tried the Berger match as yet but so far the Hornady, Sierra and Berger have been more than enough
The Bergers were fairly hard to get but I think it is restricted to caliber and how many people use them, mine are 7mm
Member-Deleted

Post by brett1868 » 16 May 2018, 7:00 am

I’ve got some of the Berger 140gr VLD Target #26701 (500 pack). Happy to sell you a couple hundred if you like but I need to check how many are left if you need >200. You could also post on the ART&T Facebook page “Looking for.....” one of the mods is a clown so behave in there ;)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 16 May 2018, 9:26 am

YoungSC wrote:I've been doing some reloading research in preparation to buying some kit. Berger bullets seem to be widely used by target shooters at the top, so I figure, why not start here.

In the 500 Metre Benchrest Game the most popular bullets used I know of are Copperhead, Berger & Lapua Scenar. Once a suitable bullet is found most bulk buy in at least 500 lots or much more and most sort their bullets by some means if not a few ways to create accuracy batches.

Copperhead are made in Australia and for initial testing you can purchase sample lots by getting in contact with Ken from his web site. Berger's main importers are BRT Shooters Supply and QStore (Qld Rifle Association). Lapua come generally from your local Gun Shop who order through NIOA. Ken may or may not have a large supply depending on what he has in stock as they are all hand made.

Berger will be in short supply as they have moved to a new manufacturing plant and still catching up on production orders.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2018, 10:11 am

Apollo wrote:Ken may or may not have a large supply depending on what he has in stock as they are all hand made.

I would've expected them to be done by CNC to maximise consistency. Must be mind-numbingly boring turning thousands of bullets by hand hour after hour.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungSC » 16 May 2018, 6:41 pm

Hi Gents,

Thanks for all the good feedback.

Brett, thanks. I'm honoured by your offer. I'm thinking of trying an available brand to get started and then wait and see if the regular supply of Berger's is reestablished. It would be a good excuse to develop another round if it does. ;)

One of my local gunshop's suggested that Nosler RDF is also a good option. Has anyone tried them?
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by sungazer » 16 May 2018, 6:47 pm

The Lapua Scenars are the favored projectile in the 6.5 target would and surprisingly the 123 grn rather than the 140 grn. I have some of the Bergers not sure if the are the Hybrid or VLD just bought the one box for load testing against others.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by brett1868 » 16 May 2018, 6:56 pm

Check out the Hornady ELD-M range of projectiles as well, they are delivering excellent results. My boy managed 2nd in a 300m competition a few weeks back using the 147gr ELD-M factory ammo.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 17 May 2018, 7:51 pm

You will get great results out of SMK which always seem to be available. You have to carefully batch them which largely does not appear to be nessesary with Bergers. The Sierras seem to come off a number of macines which give you a variety of ogive length.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 17 May 2018, 11:32 pm

1500 Berger 140gr VLDs right here if you haven't seen them already: https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=124376

The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bladeracer » 17 May 2018, 11:45 pm

Flyer wrote:1500 Berger 140gr VLDs right here if you haven't seen them already: https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=124376

Very nice, but not the Hybrid. I've seen some places listing stock of other Bergers, it's the Hybrids that are very scarce.
Even Brownells US and Reloading International can't get them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 18 May 2018, 9:41 am

Fair enough. I'll soon be load testing the 6.5 Hornady 143 ELD-Xs myself, as they've got a good BC and double up as a hunting round. I noticed the 140 ELD-Ms have a really good advertised BC (.646) compared to the Bergers (.618). Of course, that doesn't guarantee they'll shoot better . . .
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bladeracer » 18 May 2018, 9:45 am

Flyer wrote:Fair enough. I'll soon be load testing the 6.5 Hornady 143 ELD-Xs myself, as they've got a good BC and double up as a hunting round. I noticed the 140 ELD-Ms have a really good advertised BC (.646) compared to the Bergers (.618). Of course, that doesn't guarantee they'll shoot better . . .

I have 147gn ELDM's arriving today.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 May 2018, 11:14 pm

ELD-M match 7mm @ 100yds 5 shots they do fly well :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Attachments
Pic_0214_059.jpg
Pic_0214_059.jpg (77.97 KiB) Viewed 4618 times
Member-Deleted

Return to Reloading ammunition