Reloading and hazmat

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading and hazmat

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 May 2018, 9:04 pm

Ok noob at reloading. I use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the brass also I am on septic tank system.

1. Dirty water from washed cases does it have lead and is it safe to put in drain.
2. Is it fine to throw the spent primers into the garbage bin inside the house or rather the outside bin (possible lead with kids around)
3. When reloading wear gloves and safety glasses?
4. If some specs of powder fail on the carpet that cannot be found, any danger

Anything else that's not obvious
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Reloading and hazmat

Post by Wombat » 20 May 2018, 9:27 pm

1. Jacketed bullets? No lead. Combustion products only.Pour on grass.
2. Primers- no lead. But potentially other nastys that I wouldn't want a kid eating.
3. Glasses.
4 No.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 20 May 2018, 9:28 pm

Put the water down the sink your septic doesnt drain into your Vegi garden or you could have other problems.
Put the primers and other stuff in the bin outside you will stay out of trouble with the boss of the house.
Probably a good idea to wear safety glasses when priming brass. some brands have warnings to be used with some primers.
Mate a few specs of powder is no big deal. If I could clean it up from all the nooks and crannies it gets into when you knock a case over or do something else stupid. It wont make as much of a flame as a match being struck with out quite a few granules together. I vacuum the carpet in the reloading room once in a while spent primers that dont go down the tube and flick places bits of powder, burnt powder when cleaning, bits of brass from trimming. over shot of One shot oil it all needs to be cleaned up.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by tom604 » 20 May 2018, 9:29 pm

1 powder reside,good for your lawn :thumbsup:
2 yep but if your worried about your kids eating primers then put them outside :thumbsup:
3 never have but hey if your into rubber gloves :lol:
4 yes the powder will self ignite and burn your house down :allegedly: (no it wont) :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 May 2018, 4:16 am

Lol 0k thanks. I read somewhere primers made of lead sulphate that's got me worried. Kids are now old enough that they shouldn't eat metallic objects like spent primers
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 May 2018, 5:20 am

Ziad wrote:Lol 0k thanks. I read somewhere primers made of lead sulphate that's got me worried. Kids are now old enough that they shouldn't eat metallic objects like spent primers

The quantities are too low to worry about. Any not much of that used these days anyway.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 May 2018, 8:20 am

One more question. How to deprime live primers safely. I normally punch out with the sizing die but worried live primers might go bang...I good always go bang bang the rifle in the backyard (am on acreage)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 May 2018, 8:33 am

deprime with a sizing/wobble die, dont whack them out with a lee/wilson die

it makes me wonder about peoples worry with lead when there is very little worry when using a lead sinker for fishing :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 9:10 am

Ziad wrote:One more question. How to deprime live primers safely. I normally punch out with the sizing die but worried live primers might go bang...I good always go bang bang the rifle in the backyard (am on acreage)

I've never had one go bang, even using a Lee Loader and hammer.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 9:11 am

marksman wrote:it makes me wonder about peoples worry with lead when there is very little worry when using a lead sinker for fishing :unknown:

And the number of people that let kids play with fishing weights.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 May 2018, 9:15 am

I would think that too.. maybe ies similar to a sherry of asbestos unbroken is safe but broken or powdery asbestos (friable)... really bad

I choose like most of you grew up in houses with lead paint
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 May 2018, 10:31 am

Could a kernel of powder be ignited by static electricity when it is sucked up the tube of a vac? Would it matter anyway if it was only one kernel at a time?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 21 May 2018, 10:41 am

no or highly unlikely and no,,empty a bit of powder out and light it up and you will see what i mean
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 10:53 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Could a kernel of powder be ignited by static electricity when it is sucked up the tube of a vac? Would it matter anyway if it was only one kernel at a time?

I'm not sure smokeless powder can be ignited at all by static electricity. Blackpowder has some risk though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 May 2018, 1:43 pm

tom604 and bladeracer
Thank you :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 May 2018, 6:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I'm not sure smokeless powder can be ignited at all by static electricity. Blackpowder has some risk though.

Black powder is static sensitive. But it is not black and white. There is a system for measuring and testing this .

I believe modern powders are also sensitive to static, but less so.

Best practice for all powder storage is to store in one of the following.

Lightly built wooden box. Wood does not generate static.

Or

Lightly build metal container preferably earthed.

Or

A semi conductive light weight plastic container. This will minimise static generation.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 21 May 2018, 7:05 pm

Smokeless Gunpowder is coated with Graphite to prevent/protect it against undesirable ignition caused by static electricity. You should not need any extra protection other than the container it is supplied in and stored as per manufacturers suggestions.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 May 2018, 7:53 pm

Apollo wrote:Smokeless Gunpowder is coated with Graphite to prevent/protect it against undesirable ignition caused by static electricity.

I believe that is correct. I guess the graphite would be acting like a faraday cage. It would certainly reduce the risk.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 21 May 2018, 8:48 pm

Just a little bit of info picked up from a friend that was involved/worked for ADI testing powders for batch consistency.

It always is interesting talking with him and learning what goes into making Smokeless Powder from the actual European Wood Pulp used to the testing of each batch of final production.

A lot more than just creating a load and pulling the trigger.

Always great to shoot and talk with him at a competition shoot.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 May 2018, 9:42 pm

I suspect the amount of graphite could also be varied inorder to adjust the burn rate. Just one of several other factors designed into the product to control the burn rate.

But I might be wrong.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 21 May 2018, 10:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I suspect the amount of graphite could also be varied inorder to adjust the burn rate. Just one of several other factors designed into the product to control the burn rate.

But I might be wrong.

You are pretty close. It's been some time since that factor was discussed so I forget all the specifics. Size, length, coating, blending etc.

The one type we didn't get into was the "Ball Powders" so that is a different ball park.

I imagine like others, it would be amazing to go for a guided visit through the ADI Powder facility, but very restricted unfortunately.

Overall an interesting story of what can be made out of just wood pulp.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition