Starline rifle brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Starline rifle brass

Post by JimTom » 21 May 2018, 1:33 pm

G’day again fellas

Anyone have an opinion on Starline brass. I searched the forum prior to posting however it was to no avail.
My understanding is that they traditionally made mainly pistol brass however I have found some in 6.5CM.
Just wondering if anyone had any positive or negative feedback.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Starline rifle brass

Post by Noisydad » 21 May 2018, 2:34 pm

I’ve used it very successfully in .32-20, .44-40, .40-65, .45-70 and .50-70. Seems to clean, re size, reload and last as well as any. I will be buying more.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 21 May 2018, 2:35 pm

Mate thanks for the input. Sincerely appreciated.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 21 May 2018, 5:28 pm

its good stuff use it for 44 magnum never had a problem
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by vmaxaust » 26 May 2018, 6:57 am

If their pistol brass is any indication, Starline is excellent.
I have 45ACP, 38 Special and 9mm Luger in Starline bought new. All calibers have been loaded over 15 times and still look and work like new. The only damaged cases I had were my own fault when running in a new semi auto 45 with loads that were too conservative. Slide would only go back partially, squashing fired case as it did not eject fully.
You can't go wrong with their products.

[quote="JimTom"]G’day again fellas

Anyone have an opinion on Starline brass.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 26 May 2018, 6:04 pm

Did you see this mate? Great write-up - very honest: https://www.ocabj.net/starline-brass-6- ... ss-review/
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 26 May 2018, 6:15 pm

Great article. Thanks for posting that up mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 26 May 2018, 8:01 pm

Great article. Thanks for posting that up mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 15 Jun 2018, 3:42 pm

Mate, I found a really good 6.5CM brass comparison video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKWGgO4arvU

If you go to about 12.30, you'll see the difference in velocity between Starline small primer and Lapua small primer brass. The velocities are very similar. I guess that means if you work up a load with Lapua brass, the same load could - in theory - work in the Starline brass. Great if you want cheap brass for hunting (Starline) and more expensive stuff for target shooting (Lappy).

I've just bought 200 cases of Lappy and will start working loads up soon. I may buy 100 Starline to see if the same loads work in both brass. If they do, bonus.

Lots of other good info in the video. Interestingly, the Lappy SRP brass has a 0.059" flash hole and the Starline has the bigger 0.080" flash hole, but it doesn't seem to make much difference in velocity. The biggest difference was in the large rifle primer brass, which was notably faster.

Also worth noting, both Lappy and Starline brass have very similar case volumes, which obviously accounts for the similar velocity in loads.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by JimTom » 15 Jun 2018, 10:32 pm

Interesting video, thanks mate. Like you I have got some Lapua SRP. Now all I need is a rifle and I can start working up some loads. Keep us posted on the load you have the most success with mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 16 Jun 2018, 12:08 am

Will do. I've got some 143gr ELD-X and 123gr Lapua Scenars with 2209 to try. I've also go some 2206H, but 2209 seems to be the go-to powder for Creedmoor. That and Reloader 17, which is harder to get around my parts.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Cooper » 18 Jun 2018, 5:56 pm

The Starline creedmoor brass seem like it is worth a try. Looks like there is also plently of brands to choose from now for the Creedmoor.

The first brass I bought Hornady. It must have been early batch or something because the weights were all over the place. Not just by 2gr or 3gr grains but 5gr or 6gr. Bought the Lapua brass and never looked back.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 18 Jun 2018, 7:46 pm

Cooper wrote:The Starline creedmoor brass seem like it is worth a try. Looks like there is also plently of brands to choose from now for the Creedmoor.

The first brass I bought Hornady. It must have been early batch or something because the weights were all over the place. Not just by 2gr or 3gr grains but 5gr or 6gr. Bought the Lapua brass and never looked back.

Yeah mate I have gone down that road too. Figured ill go with Lapua. Have never had a problem with Lapua brass before.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by eddahenry » 20 Jun 2018, 8:31 pm

I use only STarline ,, yes the necks need to be sized out of the box but the primer pockets (small) have stayed the same after a few firings for me
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2018, 9:36 pm

Cooper wrote:The first brass I bought Hornady. It must have been early batch or something because the weights were all over the place. Not just by 2gr or 3gr grains but 5gr or 6gr. Bought the Lapua brass and never looked back.

Did the weight variation make any difference though? They can be different weights but still have the same capacity.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 21 Jun 2018, 4:49 am

eddahenry wrote:I use only STarline ,, yes the necks need to be sized out of the box but the primer pockets (small) have stayed the same after a few firings for me

G’day Eddahenry

I’d be interested to hear how many times you reload them, compared to Lapua and Hornady mate before they get to their used by.
It would be an interesting little experiment.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 25 Jul 2018, 9:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Cooper wrote:The first brass I bought Hornady. It must have been early batch or something because the weights were all over the place. Not just by 2gr or 3gr grains but 5gr or 6gr. Bought the Lapua brass and never looked back.

Did the weight variation make any difference though? They can be different weights but still have the same capacity.

I would say yes it did make a difference. My groups tightened up straight away when I switched to Lapua Brass. I still use my Hornady brass for hunting loads. It is now on its 6th loading and some of the primer pockets are getting a bit lose. I wouldn’t be surprised if it only had a couple more loads in it. I am only up to my 3rd loading on my Lapua Brass (batch of 50) hopefully it last at least twice as long as the Hornady
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 30 Jul 2018, 6:44 pm

I bought some Starline 6.5 Creedmoor small rifle primer brass at my local today. He had both the small and the large primer brass. He reckoned the small primer stuff is a bit more expensive. He give it to me for the large primer price. Which worked out at $60 per 50. So heaps cheaper than Lapua and about the same as Hornady.

I'll report back how it performs.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 30 Jul 2018, 10:36 pm

Thanks mate, will be good to hear.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 31 Jul 2018, 7:28 pm

I load Starline brass at max [prudent] loads in .357" and it is reliable and durable.
In a good .308 target rifle I would use nothing but Lapua, otherwise would be a waste of bore life and trigger time.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by eddahenry » 18 Aug 2018, 9:13 pm

JimTom wrote:
eddahenry wrote:I use only STarline ,, yes the necks need to be sized out of the box but the primer pockets (small) have stayed the same after a few firings for me

G’day Eddahenry

I’d be interested to hear how many times you reload them, compared to Lapua and Hornady mate before they get to their used by.
It would be an interesting little experiment.

will do ,, im up to 4 with no issues at all ,, pockets feel like new ,, i run stout loads but nothing crazy
will keep you informed
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition