Is it worth reloading?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Is it worth reloading?

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Jul 2018, 4:57 pm

The cases unlikely. They are all cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner then dried. Could be oil in the chamber. I'll clean it better and try to remember if the adi brass does the same for next time.

Thanks.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 03 Jul 2018, 6:07 pm

So the issue is only during unlocking and primary extraction but not while extracting the case fully, and is random. Assuming all brass is the same and trimmed, I would look at crud in the bolt maybe around the caming surfaces and look at the locking lugs on the bolt and clean the area where they engage in the receiver.
Just a guess

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jul 2018, 7:00 pm

The cost of reloading just went up ten-percent if you're buying anything out of the US. Ebay is adding the GST automatically, so I assume Paypal is as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 13 Jul 2018, 6:40 pm

Ok you guys have converted me lol

I made the plunge and bought a reloading kit today, what powder would you guys reccomend for reloading say 100gr 243 rounds and 165gr 308 rounds?
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2018, 6:53 pm

Jon79 wrote:Ok you guys have converted me lol

I made the plunge and bought a reloading kit today, what powder would you guys reccomend for reloading say 100gr 243 rounds and 165gr 308 rounds?

If you're only going to load heavy in .243, AR2217 is a good choice, but not as versatile as AR2206H, AR2208 or AR2209.
For both cartridges, I'd try AR2206H or AR2208.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Jul 2018, 8:01 pm

With 107 SMK in my 243 I use 2213SC and had good results with 2225. What bullet are you planning to use? Have you got enough twist in your barrel for it?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jul 2018, 9:44 pm

"For both cartridges, I'd try AR2206H or AR2208."

IMO a good choice. I use AR2208 for both 223 & 30-06 and getting good results. Very versatile.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 13 Jul 2018, 9:46 pm

SCJ429 wrote:With 107 SMK in my 243 I use 2213SC and had good results with 2225. What bullet are you planning to use? Have you got enough twist in your barrel for it?

Was hoping to use the Sierra gamekings in both... they seem to go very well in my 243 & 308 both being Howa 1500’s

I might load a few lighter loads down the track when I get the the hang of things etc but for now just want to develope a nice hard hitting load for pigs or Deer for the 243 & 308 and I’ll use the 223 for the smaller stuff
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 13 Jul 2018, 9:49 pm

I have been using 2206H in my 243 and while it is working well, the case fill is not were I would like it to be. I am going to try some other powders 08, 09 maybe even 2213SC I have already bought it to try.
In the 308 2206H is probably going to be your best bet. If you had a long barrel 2208 is also a good choice. The 2206H really does work well though.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Jul 2018, 8:32 pm

The Sierra 100 grain game King is pretty handy with a BC of 430. If you use a faster powder like 2208 you will be giving up between 150 and 200 fps over short cut or slower powders. Shot placement is critical for longer range 243 bullets and every bit of speed helps. I am using a 1:8 twist barrel and shooting the heavy 6mm projectiles the 243 compares very well to the newer 6.5mm cases.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tillaan » 20 Jul 2018, 11:24 pm

I was another one who was quite nervous about getting into reloading. Lucky i had a mate who provided alot of guidance and gave me a free rcbs press (just bought my own dies and materials).

I purchased my first gun a Tikka t3x 223 1:8 in superlite fluted stainless. I did a lot of research and knew someone who recommended this combo. So had high hopes for it. I added a leupold vx-2 4-12 with warne rings.

My first few months with the rifle i was initially disappointed as in wasn't able to get the promised 1moa i was chasing at the range with standard factory ammo (tried 4 or 5 types and osa came close to 1moa but nothing was consistant). Tried different sizes all way up to 70gr target ammo.

I decided this was likely my fault lacking experience (still prob the case)!

After talking with my mate i got into reloaded and after loading up my first 30 rounds, using advice on here as well as his help.

Form fired ppu brass, federal primers, adi BM2 and zmax 55grs. I was able to get consistent .4" groups at 100m! I was thrilled.

Only downside was even thou i did a ladder test from 23.0 all way to 25.6 there wasn't a clear winner!! The zmax all shot well.

Im still working on a round for soft points as the 55gr super roos didn't go very well in my gun, I suspect the 1:8 twist maybe too fast. But this is the part im enjoying of finding the right combo for me and the rifle

Anyway point being i really enjoyed reloading, the load development and testing. Which improved everything to point I'm now very happy with my setup. So its not just about the money :) give it a crack as dont have much to lose!
Tillaan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jul 2018, 1:48 pm

My Ruger is 8"-twist and shoots the 55gn SP very well. Could just be the rifle itself. I have an excellent load in my M1903-A3, with Berry's .311" 123gn copper-plated bullet, but when we tried it in a neighbour's 700ADL it wasn't good at all, with poor grouping and way off point-of-aim. Same twist rate and barrel length so I can only figure the barrel harmonics are very different. Interestingly, the 180gn load we worked up for his rifle shot just as well in mine.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jul 2018, 12:56 pm

Jon79 wrote:Ok you guys have converted me lol

John the ADI Powder guide lists 2206h available for all loads for both 243 and 308. This being the case I would just buy one can of this powder and try this for all loads first. it's much better more practical and cheaper due to no wastage to use just one powder for as many rifles as possible. If you're getting acceptable accuracy with this powder just continue to use it. The other advantages of 2206h is you can download too I think as low as 60% of the maximum charge no other powder will do this. You mentioned earlier in the thread that you would like to do this.
However if you want the very best loads possible for your rifles you may need to try five or six different powers in total and this can be a costly wasteful exercise.

Good luck you won't look back.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jul 2018, 1:01 pm

Straight out of the adi manual.

Reduced loads 60% max 2206H.JPG
Reduced loads 60% max 2206H.JPG (72.59 KiB) Viewed 3488 times

And

reduced loads .jpg
reduced loads .jpg (39.15 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diesel » 05 Aug 2018, 9:58 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Diesel, you must be single and not married if you don't want to spend hours in the shed.

I hate to tell you but if you want to spend so much time in the shed, you married the wrong girl.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition