Is it worth reloading?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Is it worth reloading?

Post by Jon79 » 03 Jun 2018, 1:13 pm

been tossing up weather to get in to reloading and wondering if you save enough to make it worthwhile, the outlay to get set up looks to work out around the same price as buying a new rifle and I think that's the main thing holding me back from having a go..as you'd need to reload a lot to before you recouped that outlay?

started saving the empties just in case and have around 200 .243 cases and about the same in .223 and will be picking up a 308 shortly and the idea has been growing on me, but like I said the start up cost and not fully knowing how technical it all is has been the things holding me back, its the 243 & 308 I'd be mainly interested in as they are a lot more expensive than the 223's
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Is it worth reloading?

Post by Heckler303 » 03 Jun 2018, 1:17 pm

If you purchase a Lee Loader set and a powder measure you can definitely start up and exceed the price of your reloading equipment for the amount you'll save reloading. Always buy in bulk too, hundred primers, hundred projectiles, big case of powder, e.t.c. I reload match grade .308 for about 0.84 cents a round.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jun 2018, 1:33 pm

If you don't fire a lot of shots, the break even point is a way off. The advantage of loading is tuning the load to your rifle. The trouble with loading is that you always want another piece of equipment to do the job better and you end up with thousands invested. The thing about loading is you need to do some regularly to improve. Plenty of guys just slap things together without paying attention to what goes into a consistant load.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 03 Jun 2018, 1:36 pm

Yes,yes it is
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jun 2018, 1:53 pm

Jon79 wrote:been tossing up weather to get in to reloading and wondering if you save enough to make it worthwhile, the outlay to get set up looks to work out around the same price as buying a new rifle and I think that's the main thing holding me back from having a go..as you'd need to reload a lot to before you recouped that outlay?

started saving the empties just in case and have around 200 .243 cases and about the same in .223 and will be picking up a 308 shortly and the idea has been growing on me, but like I said the start up cost and not fully knowing how technical it all is has been the things holding me back, its the 243 & 308 I'd be mainly interested in as they are a lot more expensive than the 223's

Definitely, but it does require time. If you only shoot a few hundred rounds a year though it would be cheaper to just buy factory and sell the brass.

Personally, since I can make it myself, it just seems silly to pay somebody else to make ammo for me.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 03 Jun 2018, 2:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Jon79 wrote:been tossing up weather to get in to reloading and wondering if you save enough to make it worthwhile, the outlay to get set up looks to work out around the same price as buying a new rifle and I think that's the main thing holding me back from having a go..as you'd need to reload a lot to before you recouped that outlay?

Definitely, but it does require time. If you only shoot a few hundred rounds a year though it would be cheaper to just buy factory and sell the brass.

Personally, since I can make it myself, it just seems silly to pay somebody else to make ammo for me.

yeah usually go out at least a couple of times a week, took about 6-8 weeks to collect the 200ish .243 cases and 200ish .223 cases so I have gone through a few lol...….currently costing around $2 a shot with the .243

planning on doing a trip away pig and goat shooting for a week or so as well in a few months which also had me thinking of trying my hand at reloading
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 03 Jun 2018, 2:29 pm

Heckler303 I reckon you might need to do the math again :D I reckon it costs me about $1.20 for a 308 round.
Anyway to the OP the 243 is a higher priced round factory. it also burns barrels more so its not as cheap overall to shoot anyway. If you are shooting regularly and want to get the best out of your gun then reloading is the way to go. it wont be cheaper. As SCJ429 said there is always something better to be bought both for the rifle and in the reloading room. Once you learn to get to one stage you start learning the next, I am not sure how much there is to learn as it seems an endless journey.
The buy in bulk and from the right place is also very important to get the savings.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jun 2018, 2:36 pm

Jon79 wrote:yeah usually go out at least a couple of times a week, took about 6-8 weeks to collect the 200ish .243 cases and 200ish .223 cases so I have gone through a few lol...….currently costing around $2 a shot with the .243

planning on doing a trip away pig and goat shooting for a week or so as well in a few months which also had me thinking of trying my hand at reloading

There are bulk bullets that shoot very well at good prices.
6000 Hornady 55gn SP in .224" for $700 - under 12c each, and they shoot very well.
The ZMax 50gn and 55gn are $90 for 500 bullets.
I just bought 500 80gn ELDM's for $165.
Speer bulk packs are good also - in .224" 1000 55gn TNT's are $185, 750 .243" 70gn TNT's are $185, and 500 .308" 125gn TNT's are $145.

I just tried Berry's .311" copper plated 123gn in the .30-06 with good accuracy - $229 for 1000 bullets, but I doubt you can push them at maximum velocities. But shooting .30-06 for 40c a shot makes up for it :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Jun 2018, 4:28 pm

Like others have already eluded to, it depends on how much you shoot if you are doing it purely for financial reasons.
I do it so as to get the best accuracy for my rifles and I also find it a bit therapeutic so it’s more like a hobby than a money saver for me.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 03 Jun 2018, 4:35 pm

---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 03 Jun 2018, 4:43 pm

sungazer wrote:Heckler303 I reckon you might need to do the math again :D I reckon it costs me about $1.20 for a 308 round.

If you exclude brass, it's definitely doable. At Melbourne prices, doubt it's doable in Tasmania.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 03 Jun 2018, 4:56 pm

It really depends on the round. I was just about to place an order for some projectiles I have enough for quite some time before I run bone dry but supply can get short sometimes. When I got to the checkout it was $1000. Not in the budget atm saving for an overseas trip for the family. Anyway the 155 grn 308 was $54/100 but the 200grn was $83/100 add to that the 3 grams of powder 28 cents bulk (36c 500g) and a 10c primer and I am at about my $1.20 or Hecklers 0.88 c. Brass ?
i do need some 185grn though so the price goes way up if shipping is on a small order.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jun 2018, 6:51 pm

Not including brass, mine cost.
30-06. 85 cents
223. 33 cents

Shop around.
ADI powder. S&B primers. Hornady bullets
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 03 Jun 2018, 6:53 pm

Sounds about right, OB.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 03 Jun 2018, 7:17 pm

10 cents a primer? You need to buy in bulk and get away from those prices!
As to is it worth it, As others have said you always seem to get better gear, then you try something else and then you want to make your own projectile .....and then it is to late... you have moved to the dark side. There is no turning back. Just do it and get it over with.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 03 Jun 2018, 7:50 pm

I am using the BR4 CCI primers predominately they cost a bit more than the standard primers. I buy 2-4 thousand at a time or more $105 / 1000
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by juststarting » 03 Jun 2018, 7:53 pm

I buy Winchester or S&B, $45-47 depends on size lol. I bet they work the same, sungazer. :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 03 Jun 2018, 8:02 pm

sungazer wrote:I am using the BR4 CCI primers predominately they cost a bit more than the standard primers. I buy 2-4 thousand at a time or more $105 / 1000

Bugger, at that price you would not be doing to many culls. Mind you, looking at the way the price of components is going you really need to do the sums.

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jun 2018, 8:08 pm

Depends on your expectations from your primers. I pay the extra for the BR4.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 03 Jun 2018, 8:10 pm

*rolls eyes*
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 03 Jun 2018, 8:15 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Depends on your expectations from your primers. I pay the extra for the BR4.

I suppose that is the perfect answer to the OP question. You can make what every you want. If it does what you need, perfect

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jun 2018, 8:31 pm

Bills Shed wrote:10 cents a primer? You need to buy in bulk and get away from those prices!
As to is it worth it, As others have said you always seem to get better gear, then you try something else and then you want to make your own projectile .....and then it is to late... you have moved to the dark side. There is no turning back. Just do it and get it over with.
Bill

I pay $80/1000 for primers, even buying several thousand at a time. I don't mind though, I'm not going to try to screw my local out of his pocket money.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jun 2018, 9:35 pm

juststarting wrote:I buy Winchester or S&B, $45-47 depends on size lol. I bet they work the same, sungazer. :)

+1. Read an article yonks ago. Crux of it was that primers are primers. They either ignite the powder or they don't. For the average reloaders it makes no difference. For long range target, perhaps it matters.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 03 Jun 2018, 9:47 pm

In the scheme of things if I was saving 5 cents a round its sweet FA. You can see the difference on paper and it can come down to mm and each and every shot counts. I cant just say "O that one is a flyer disregard it" I shoot a lot when it doesn't matter so much but again to buy a $50 /1000 or a $100/ 1000 then to load rounds that are just for fun with other components its just not worth it. I spend more in fuel getting where ever. I do use my older brass for the not important days.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jun 2018, 10:40 pm

Changing primers can double your ES. Yes they all go bang but they don't al perform the same way. Why not use PPU brass instead of Lapua or Sierra Roo Load instead of Sierra Match King. People are using the best components they can to improve their groups. If Winchester primers work for you that is great.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 04 Jun 2018, 9:37 am

I have recently started shooting. And decided to go reloading, it is a very interesting topic and I like tinkering whether I get better results than factory I honestly don't really care. I find it fun and interesting.

As far as cost is concerned I think with federal primers and my current zmax is under a dollar excluding brass, I do save $$ except I think I have shot lot more rounds testing loads so money lost there...rotfl but still fun shooting

Then I'd you add time to make 50 rounds and suddenly go um getting the box from gun shop is cheaper...hahaha
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 04 Jun 2018, 10:14 am

SCJ429 wrote:Changing primers can double your ES. Yes they all go bang but they don't al perform the same way. Why not use PPU brass instead of Lapua or Sierra Roo Load instead of Sierra Match King. People are using the best components they can to improve their groups. If Winchester primers work for you that is great.

And this is the beauty of reloading your own ammo: it can be built to suit your needs. Cheap plinking rounds, premium hunting rounds or ultra anal target loads. High velocity 'hot' loads, minimum charged loads to ease up on barrel wear, low velocity loads with Trailboss or similar... handloading your own ammo really extends the versatility of your rifle.

That said, as others have mentioned, you have to be shooting a certain amount or wanting specific results to really make it worth cost of set up and time outlay.
Last edited by Gwion on 04 Jun 2018, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 04 Jun 2018, 6:20 pm

Just got a new set of scales today. Well not new but a second hand set off ebay and probably ten years or more old. :D But they are a slight step up from the set i bought last year. :lol:
The time spent to set up the reloading as Gwion said and the time spent in the actual reloading Ziad mentioned are two components of the time. The time involved in learning and continuing to learn has to be taken seriously. It has to be something that you are going to enjoy if you dont enjoy it it is not worth as you wont save money and you wont invest the time needed to get the results above what factory can give you.

Gwion did make a very good point on the range of loads that can be put together for a single rifle. Not everyone like to do that either but that is the real advantage so a tinkerer you must be. :)
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jun 2018, 7:15 pm

Horses for courses.
Can be cheaper. OR/&
More accurate.

Don't forget, fun, interesting, relaxing, shoot more.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 05 Jun 2018, 4:36 pm

You don't reload to save money - there is plenty of cheap factory ammo out there, especially for .223 and .308.

You reload to improve accuracy, tailor hunting loads, or simply shoot the best ammo you can for your firearm.

Whenever anyone tells you how cheap it is to reload, they usually don't add the cost of their time - reloading is nearly always more expensive if you value your time at $30 an hour or more.

If you reload multiple calibres, it becomes a bit more cost-effective.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition