scope issues

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

scope issues

Post by Mongrel » 16 Oct 2016, 1:59 pm

Ok firstly my scope is a Bushnell elite tactical 5-15. When i first got it i sighted it in used it a couple times to tune it more and got it pretty close i thought.
About a month or so ago i went to belmont with Traynor and it shot about a inch or so low at 100, didnt think much of it at the time.
Then a couple weeks ago i went camping and set up target at 200m and my 1st 3 shots were with in a couple inches or so but were quite low and left.
By low i mean 12inches low and 6-8 inches left. Even the other guys that were shooting it were aiming way right and up to hit the target.
So i went to range today put my targets up at 100(2 lots) and after 3 shots in various locations i didnt hit paper.
Put a target up at 50 hit it sighted it in and went back to 100. Which took alot of adjusting on the turrets even though they were sighted in before.
Now im hitting 100 but i have no elevation adjustment left

So my question is why would they be so far out now and how can i fix it to gain more elevation? New rings or bases?
My bases are weaver ones and im using leupold rifleman rings.

TIA Jamie
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: scope issues

Post by bladeracer » 16 Oct 2016, 2:58 pm

Mongrel wrote:Ok firstly my scope is a Bushnell elite tactical 5-15. When i first got it i sighted it in used it a couple times to tune it more and got it pretty close i thought.
About a month or so ago i went to belmont with Traynor and it shot about a inch or so low at 100, didnt think much of it at the time.
Then a couple weeks ago i went camping and set up target at 200m and my 1st 3 shots were with in a couple inches or so but were quite low and left.
By low i mean 12inches low and 6-8 inches left. Even the other guys that were shooting it were aiming way right and up to hit the target.
So i went to range today put my targets up at 100(2 lots) and after 3 shots in various locations i didnt hit paper.
Put a target up at 50 hit it sighted it in and went back to 100. Which took alot of adjusting on the turrets even though they were sighted in before.
Now im hitting 100 but i have no elevation adjustment left

So my question is why would they be so far out now and how can i fix it to gain more elevation? New rings or bases?
My bases are weaver ones and im using leupold rifleman rings.

TIA Jamie

Bases being plural?
If it's anything heavier than a .22 I'd start by replacing them with a one-piece base for a start.
Can you throw the scope on another rifle to see if the problem follows the scope?
If it holds a zero on another rifle then you know the scope is fine.
If not then send the scope back.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Oct 2016, 3:22 pm

Are the ring and mount screws tight? Take down bolts ok too? If all ok the scope is suspect. Usual test is a ladder test but your rifle being a 308, that could be expensive. If the tube diameters of your scopes are the same, you could swap them or at least put the Bushnell on the Norinco and test it on the rimfire.

Let us know how you go
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 16 Oct 2016, 3:49 pm

Did you use the same ammo on each occasion, as in same load if reloads or same batch if factory?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mitch » 16 Oct 2016, 4:00 pm

Remove scope, check all screws. Check action screws, check all screws on bases, rings etc are tight.

Then try a different scope of possible and problem still there
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 16 Oct 2016, 4:31 pm

brett1868 wrote:Did you use the same ammo on each occasion, as in same load if reloads or same batch if factory?

Yep same ammo on all occassions...outback ammo 168gn

Wm.Traynor wrote:Are the ring and mount screws tight? Take down bolts ok too? If all ok the scope is suspect. Usual test is a ladder test but your rifle being a 308, that could be expensive. If the tube diameters of your scopes are the same, you could swap them or at least put the Bushnell on the Norinco and test it on the rimfire.

Let us know how you go

Checking that now, also dont really want to touch the norinco as that is shooting great. Maybe another trip to the range next weekend is a go and see what happens.

[quote="bladeracer"

Bases being plural?
If it's anything heavier than a .22 I'd start by replacing them with a one-piece base for a start.
Can you throw the scope on another rifle to see if the problem follows the scope?
If it holds a zero on another rifle then you know the scope is fine.
If not then send the scope back.[/quote]

Its a Howa 308, slightly larger than a 22. 1 piece bases the go for larger calibre?

The RO at the range said the rings are too low i should try shimming them up?
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Oct 2016, 4:51 pm

Mongrel wrote:Its a Howa 308, slightly larger than a 22. 1 piece bases the go for larger calibre?

The RO at the range said the rings are too low i should try shimming them up?

I would use a one-piece base for any rifle for rigidity and to prevent the scope being twisted.
But two-pieces generally work okay on .22's.
I can't see how the ring height could relate to losing zero unless the objective is actually touching the barrel.
It is certainly possible to shim the scope, the rings, or the bases but it's really not the best way to do it, especially when it has to deal with recoil.
If you can get the scope to maintain zero at least, then you can address putting the reticle on the target.
You can buy one-piece integral scope mounts that have adjustment for windage and elevation on both rings, or you can buy a canted rail - usually 20MoA high at the rear. EGW do canted rails.
But the scope you have is fairly expensive so I would be confirming whether the problem is in the scope, the mounts or the rifle, and returning the scope if it's not working.
My wild guess is the two-piece mounts are your problem.

I had a very similar problem with the Redfield Revolution that came on one of my Americans - it was accurate but I couldn't adjust the group to within 500mm of PoA at 100m. I put it on a .22 and tried lots of tricks to try to get it to print on the target with no success. Sent it back and it now works - it's still a junk scope though and if they hadn't fixed it I would've just binned it as I got it for less than nothing due to the deal I got on the rifle.
Some cheap Chinese scopes sometimes take a few shots for the reticle to settle in place after an adjustment.
Last edited by bladeracer on 16 Oct 2016, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 16 Oct 2016, 5:37 pm

what brand of rifle are we talking about just read in yer next post howa 308
ok the next question who fitted the bases and rings for you I have seen a rear base pop of its base and the ring and scope were still tight
because its low and left i would start with the rear ring sounds like its gone up
does not need to be much. .
all my sights are fitted to 2 bases and rings i think solid base look wrong just my opinion apart from lever guns
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 16 Oct 2016, 6:22 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.
I will have a look at the mounts and rings now and get back to yous how it looks.maybe take a photo or 2
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2016, 8:59 am

Ditto:
Check and recheck all screws. Ad a dab of the semi permanent loktite to each screw. If the problem persists, send the scope back for a replacement.

I don't buy the "too low" scope rings bit. If the objective bell is clearing the barrel then all is good.

I still have a 25mm one piece mount that worked great on my rifle. I have fitted a 30mm tubed scope now so it isn't in use. Someone is interested in buying it but they want me to drop it off, which is a 45min drive in a direction i rarely travel. I would prefer to post it so let me know by PM if you want it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Oct 2016, 1:34 pm

Mongrel,
It occurred to me that before you start checking screws, you could do the following test.
Grasp the scope tube between the rings if you can and try to lift the scope up and down, rapidly. If it is loose enough to give so much trouble, then the "jiggling" you give it should be easily felt in your hand.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 17 Oct 2016, 4:53 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Mongrel,
It occurred to me that before you start checking screws, you could do the following test.
Grasp the scope tube between the rings if you can and try to lift the scope up and down, rapidly. If it is loose enough to give so much trouble, then the "jiggling" you give it should be easily felt in your hand.

Ibe tried jiggling it and it dont budge. I just finished work and i will have another look around 6 and let u know how it feels and looks.

Thx
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 17 Oct 2016, 6:51 pm

Well might be good news but I gave the scope a hard jiggle and felt a little movement and guess what. The front ring mount was loose. So I pulled it down and the bases were tight. I don't have any lock tight. So I will have to get some this week. Any recommdations on which one I should get?
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2016, 7:08 pm

Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2016, 7:10 pm

Mongrel wrote:Well might be good news but I gave the scope a hard jiggle and felt a little movement and guess what. The front ring mount was loose. So I pulled it down and the bases were tight. I don't have any lock tight. So I will have to get some this week. Any recommdations on which one I should get?

I generally use genuine Locktite for engines but mine are still crated away from moving across the country.
I ordered some JB Weld epoxy from the US last year and grabbed some JB Weld Medium-Strength Perma-Lock as well - seems to work fine.
Anything too strong you're very likely going to have to destroy the screws to get them out, but they won't come loose.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Oct 2016, 7:21 pm

Got any nail polish? That used to be the right stuff.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 17 Oct 2016, 7:31 pm

Thanks i will get some this week.

Wm.Traynor wrote:Got any nail polish? That used to be the right stuff.

Lol my wife will nvr forget if i did lol

bladeracer wrote:
Mongrel wrote:Well might be good news but I gave the scope a hard jiggle and felt a little movement and guess what. The front ring mount was loose. So I pulled it down and the bases were tight. I don't have any lock tight. So I will have to get some this week. Any recommdations on which one I should get?

I generally use genuine Locktite for engines but mine are still crated away from moving across the country.
I ordered some JB Weld epoxy from the US last year and grabbed some JB Weld Medium-Strength Perma-Lock as well - seems to work fine.
Anything too strong you're very likely going to have to destroy the screws to get them out, but they won't come loose.

Cheers. I will try locktite as prolly easier to get than jb weld. Thx for info though and where did u move from?
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2016, 7:48 pm

Mongrel wrote:Cheers. I will try locktite as prolly easier to get than jb weld. Thx for info though and where did u move from?

I gave away Perth weather to live in Gippsland...in a bus...in a field...two years ago today :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 17 Oct 2016, 7:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Mongrel wrote:Cheers. I will try locktite as prolly easier to get than jb weld. Thx for info though and where did u move from?

I gave away Perth weather to live in Gippsland...in a bus...in a field...two years ago today :-)

we also gave away perth weather and moved to sunny coast, little over 2 years now
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2016, 7:56 pm

Mongrel wrote:we also gave away perth weather and moved to sunny coast, little over 2 years now

Oustanding :-)
My daughter also moved to Qld, someplace called Kilcoy, have to get up there to see her one day.

When I moved back to WA I essentially gave up shooting rifles and shotguns. The ridiculous firearms laws made it easier to simply shoot IPSC handguns instead. Being able to own and use longarms again is the only thing that makes this weather barely tolerable...but it's a struggle :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 17 Oct 2016, 8:19 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Mongrel wrote:we also gave away perth weather and moved to sunny coast, little over 2 years now

Oustanding :-)
My daughter also moved to Qld, someplace called Kilcoy, have to get up there to see her one day.

When I moved back to WA I essentially gave up shooting rifles and shotguns. The ridiculous firearms laws made it easier to simply shoot IPSC handguns instead. Being able to own and use longarms again is the only thing that makes this weather barely tolerable...but it's a struggle :-)

lol, i nvr tried getting a firearms licence in wa as everyone told me how hard it was, so i nvr bothered. So i spearfished alot.
Cool Kilcoy is about 1-1.5 hours from me...
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 20 Oct 2016, 5:50 pm

Well scope is all loctited up 222 i used. Will check it out on sunday at the range and see how it goes.

Thanks
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 20 Oct 2016, 8:07 pm

Good luck.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Oct 2016, 6:13 am

Use some of the misses nail polish if you need too, it works fine too for keeping screws secure, I think you can also use grease to get a hydrolock effect I think its called (haven't tried this one) I generally use locktite too.

Good to see you found what the problem is without having to muck around too much :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Oct 2016, 7:38 am

Yeh, l always use nail polish. My gear looks real pretty. :)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 23 Oct 2016, 1:07 pm

Ok update time :)

After tightening all the screws up and using loctite on them the scope has almost gone back to the original zero. Knew it wouldnt as i took it completely off and moved it back slightly.
Took a few shots to zero it again, but i couldnt be happier with the results.
I got the best grp of 3 i think i will ever get, might have been a fluke though :P

100m 3 shot grp best.jpg
100 metre 3 shot group
100m 3 shot grp best.jpg (248.02 KiB) Viewed 5667 times

i tried duplicating it with a 5 shot grp, still happy but no where near as tight

100m 5 shot grp.jpg
100 metre 5 shot group
100m 5 shot grp.jpg (206.42 KiB) Viewed 5667 times

Thanks again everyone for all your input, much appreciated :)

Jamie
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Oct 2016, 1:12 pm

Onya Jamie :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Oct 2016, 4:09 pm

Good result. Loose scope, happens to every one at some stage. Happy hunting.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 23 Oct 2016, 6:12 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Good result. Loose scope, happens to every one at some stage. Happy hunting.

Thanks and im glad it was that and im not the only one itshappened too
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Oct 2016, 6:37 pm

You should be happy with that result. Nice group. :clap:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics