Tasco PDP5 Alternatives

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Tasco PDP5 Alternatives

Post by holden4th » 24 Oct 2017, 8:06 pm

The Tasco PDP5 (aka the Coke Can) is a great dot scope for guys like me who have the 'C-More shuffle' issues with my revolver.

From what I can gather, they aren't made anymore and second hand ones are hard to source. I have a PDP4 on my S&W but miss the value of changing the dot size. Is there a similar dot scope for pistols? I saw a guy at the recent WA ICORE States who had something similar to the PDP5 but didn't get a chance to find out what make it was.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Tasco PDP5 Alternatives

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Oct 2017, 12:43 pm

Firstly I must confess, I've never done pistols, and secondly I am blissfully unaware of the particular scope you are talking about.
So,,,,, for what little my opinions are worth, here goes.

If the tasco pistol scope you mention is anything like the quality of the average tasco scope,, I would hazard a guess and say that almost anything would be better in quality.

Wouldn't an Aimpoint Micro H-1 do what you need ?

I'll most likely be shot at dawn for being grossly ignorant on this matter,,, but they are just my thoughts. :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by holden4th » 29 Oct 2017, 5:44 pm

Thanks for that. The PDP5 is a superb scope for pistol shooters and doesn't seem to be available anymore. While the Aimpoint looks good I need a scope that I can get the red dot aimed on target in less than 1 second. The large 'coke can' size makes this quite easy for me.

holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Oct 2017, 9:57 pm

I think you'll find that the recommended method for the aimpoints, is to use both eyes. (one thru the sight, the other parallel to the housing)

Using this method, after getting used to it, you don't even notice the housing,,,,, only the red dot.
The red dot itself is so variable it's almost unbelievable.
From ultra faint,,,,,,, to being so bright it almost hurts your eyes,,,,,
Suited from pitch black darkness to full on bright daylight.

An added advantage is that the battery life is extremely long.

If you haven't already tried one,, do yourself a favour and do.

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by huccl » 10 Nov 2017, 12:26 pm

Die Judicii wrote:If the tasco pistol scope you mention is anything like the quality of the average tasco scope,, I would hazard a guess and say that almost anything would be better in quality.

Tape an empty toilet roll on top, that'll do the trick :mrgreen:

(Just joking Tasco ;))
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Outdoors » 11 Jun 2019, 12:14 pm

Would anyone have a copy of the Tasco PDP5 manual
Outdoors