Eye opened or closed?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Eye opened or closed?

Post by Joffa » 28 Jun 2018, 5:45 am

At the range last night in the freezing cold.
Shooting my new CZ with an 8-34x56 Athlon Scope
I found myself starting the night off with my non-dominant eye closed. After 100 shots reaslised I was shooting better and more accurately, the main change was I had both eyes open.

I also prefer to shoot pistol with both eyes open too.

So my question is what do you do?
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Eye opened or closed?

Post by Rod_outbak » 28 Jun 2018, 6:18 am

When I was a young fella, I used to find I always shot with one eye closed.

As I have grown old & decrepit, I find that if I close one eye, it takes forever for my vision to return to normal. If I leave both eyes open, I dont seem to have that adjustment period. It seems easier to adapt to the dual sight-picture, than it does to have the tired eyes trying to view at different zoom/focus settings..
Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Jun 2018, 8:12 am

I like to use both eyes open for hunting, it helps me to get on target quickly. For the bench I like to keep an eye on the conditions so I start with both eyes open but as I get tired my eyes fatigue and I end up closing one. This also seems to help when the mirage is bad.
We used blinders in 3P shooting so that you can keep both eyes open but not get fatigued.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 28 Jun 2018, 8:29 am

I have to close one as it doesn't work properly and really f@#ks with my perception of whatever I'm shooting! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Growler » 28 Jun 2018, 9:11 am

I try both open but then more often than not unknowingly revert back to one closed
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by trekin » 28 Jun 2018, 9:12 am

Have alway shot with both eyes closed, but I prefer the challange. :wtf:
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 28 Jun 2018, 9:34 am

both eyes open unless there is glare
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2018, 12:44 pm

Very personal preference I think, and some people simply can't focus clearly with both eyes open. I vary, but I have found I tend to shoot better with both eyes open, even with scopes. It does take some degree of concentration though, so if I'm not in the mood I'm happy to close my left eye. Theory claims that closing one eye effects the muscles of the open eye to at least some degree. I'm not convinced though that after time a person can adapt to that and shoot just as well with one eye closed. But, I also think it's possible that shooting long strings, you could fatigue those muscles, causing worse results. Practice every way you can think of until you discover what works best for you.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 28 Jun 2018, 2:17 pm

trekin wrote:Have alway shot with both eyes closed, but I prefer the challange. :wtf:

I usually use my non-dominant eye after I've scoped the dominant one.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by snag » 28 Jun 2018, 6:03 pm

I was taught "one eye for rifle, 2 eyes for pistol". Having said that, I shoot both with 1 eye but shoot shotgun with 2 eyes. I think that you naturally evolve your own techniques.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 28 Jun 2018, 9:43 pm

I agree it depends on the circumstances. I shoot the 22LR at 50-100 often with both eyes open. I often use the 22 for practice so I may shoot prone and shoot quickly so you tend to relax and let muscle memory take over I find I shoot with both eyes open. It really improves your follow through and any flinch it just becomes second nature.
If I am shooting target comp. I will often get on target and if in a team event with a wind coach will close both eyes until the coach says fire then it is open eye quickly check on target and fire. If I am shooting comp for myself I will keep the left eye open watching flags, or perhaps just the right eye down the scope watching mirage.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by darwindingo » 28 Jun 2018, 11:01 pm

Over the years I always shot what ever I was shooting with both eyes open, it just worked for me. However over the last few years I've found it becoming necessary to at least briefly close the other eye to get the sighting eye to play ball, I guess the old eyeballs ain't what they used to be. :( I either need to just go with whatever works or let someone have a good old crack at my eyes with a laser. :huh: :wtf: :drinks
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by JimTom » 29 Jun 2018, 9:47 am

If it’s a running pig both eyes open until I have a sight picture then automatically one eye closed.
At the range it’s always one eye closed. Just habit I guess. Might give two eyes a go next time I am out there and see if it makes a difference.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics