Leupold PRW Installation

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Leupold PRW Installation

Post by allan » 20 Aug 2018, 2:13 pm

Stix wrote:Can i ask how easy they are to set up allan...?
I imagine they'd be very fiddly to get to get the windage right...maybe even.more fiddly if you're mucking around with elevation as well...as i imagine one would effect the other.

Yes, to set them up to gain the most from the design, it's a tedious (and sometimes time consuming) job to mount them. I'm a self funded retiree (read OLD) so my time is all mine!

Initially, I just bolt them up using 000" inserts, making sure I have the reticle vertical (plumb line with rifle levelled in a solid cradle. At the range, I zero to my preferred distance. At home, I mount a Bushnell magnetic bore sighter & carefully mark my zero point on the grid - (Keep a separate chart for every gun I own). I then remove the scope and set the internal adjustments to optical centre.

It's then just a matter of fitting any of the off set inserts (They come in 5, 10 & 20 thou) and rotating as required to match my zero point.

Back on the range, I usually find that I'm within an inch or better and can zero with a couple of clicks. I then check my reticule vertical by using the elevation adjustments to track a plumb line on the target - Rarely have to adjust to correct cant.

I'll add that I've been mounting scopes for 60 years (long before these "plastic" inserts were around) and have used the best available one and two piece steel mounting systems. These days, I'm only into "high end" & custom rim fires - If there's an accuracy difference between plastic and steel, I can't pick it but I'm not a long range shooter either. Temperature extremes may influence plastic but I live in the tropics so no biggie for me.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Pythonkeeper » 22 Aug 2018, 3:29 pm

I too found the PRW2 to be a pain to fit, I never had an issue with the old ones that you had to stretch open but these series 2’s had me mumbling a few naughty words while trying to get the screws lined up, got there in the end but definitely tested my patience....
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Strangedog » 26 Aug 2018, 8:44 am

Chronos wrote:A few ego's aside....

There is an issue with the new PRW2 rings. The originals needed to be opened up to clip over the tube, the new ones don't but YES the screw holes don't line up easily. I believe it's to do with the clearance around the head of the screws

Chronos

This is true. I had the original PRW"s and whilst a bit fiddly, after the Allen key method they worked and fitted fine. However I bought a set of PRW2"s for my new rifle and near went round the twist. You don't need the squeeze an Allen key method as they 'improved the design' however when the rings where together on the scope the screws don't line up with the holes. It took me over an hour, and after scratching paint from the mounts and cursing untold amounts, I finally got them together. Thought I cross threaded them numerous times. I was at the stage where I was going to take them back saying they were faulty, even with chips of paint off them. It has to be a fault on Leupold's part with these PWR2 rings.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Urastus » 28 Sep 2018, 9:12 pm

Stix wrote:I hate those rings, well fitting them anyway.
Always leave a mark on every scope.

Tried tape to avoid the marks & cracked both front & rear rings.

So, another set... i tried a couple of allen keys to spring the ring open---just as the ring got part over the scope tube something slipped & i heard the zinging harmonics of highly tensioned steel slowly decrease to nothing as my brand new allen key was launched into a low earth orbit.

Ok...well lets give that another go i thought to myself.
With only one allen key of that size left, i tried again...fingers were hurtin after the 5th attempt...
....nearly there..

....."piiinngggggggg"...

With a flight time to rival that of my 22-250, i heard it hit the shed of the neighbours neighbour some 30 plus metres away... :twisted:

I can have a laugh now :lol: , but needless to say, at the time it took all of my mental strength to refrain from hurling that rifle in the direction of the vapour trail left by the first allen key.

So next set im off to Vic so marksman can fit them for me...

Did you ever consider writing for a living? :lol: Very entertaining
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 29 Sep 2018, 5:49 am

Mate I tried to fit a set of PRW yesterday. They are the most tedious rings I have ever used. I gave up and went and bought a different type. Will never buy PRW again.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Urastus » 29 Sep 2018, 6:34 pm

allan wrote:At home, I mount a Bushnell magnetic bore sighter & carefully mark my zero point on the grid - (Keep a separate chart for every gun I own). I then remove the scope and set the internal adjustments to optical centre.

I never would have figured that out. I had visions of an hour or two at the range - bore sight (just look through the bore to sight it up on a round target), shoot, undo, adjust, tighten... Your way is great. How far away do you set up the grid when you're at home? Do you set up the scope higher when you're at home to allow for the change in distance? eg if you sight in at 25 or 50m at the range, then set up the grid at home at say 10m. You bore sight, then sight the scope so far above where the bore sight hits I imagine, so that it should be on sight at 25 or 50m?
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by allan » 01 Oct 2018, 6:52 pm

Urastus wrote:Your way is great. How far away do you set up the grid when you're at home? Do you set up the scope higher when you're at home to allow for the change in distance? eg if you sight in at 25 or 50m at the range, then set up the grid at home at say 10m. You bore sight, then sight the scope so far above where the bore sight hits I imagine, so that it should be on sight at 25 or 50m?

The grid is actually in the bore sighter - Pictured below is what you see through the scope. Once zeroed at my preferred distance, the reticule will appear somewhere on that grid - Every rifle/scope combination is different. I simply mark that point on a print out of the grid and set up my inserts to match that - Zeroed a V24 on a recently acquired Anschutz this morning - Took four clicks down & 6 clicks left to take out a quarter inch dot at 50 yards!
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Urastus » 01 Oct 2018, 9:51 pm

Sheesh, again I never would have figured that out. I thought a bore sighter was an led that shoots a light out of the bore onto the target. I had to search youtube to see what you're using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pjgcvrx6gU. One thing I don't understand is that grid is on the end of your barrel; is that grid positioned in the bore sighter so that it is equivalent to a set distance eg 50 yards? So if you bore sight on that grid you should be good for 50 yards? Sorry if these are stupid questions and I'm not seeing the obvious.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by allan » 02 Oct 2018, 1:19 pm

https://www.chuckhawks.com/bushnell_mag ... ighter.htm

This is the unit I currently have - Fairly precise explanation in this article re how they work. I've had Leupold illuminated versions previously but the illumination died in both.

Once sighted in for any particular distance, a rifle/scope combo will register somewhere on that grid.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Urastus » 02 Oct 2018, 7:57 pm

Awesome, thanks again Allan. I can see how these would make setting up those types of rings easier. You wouldn't have to clamp the rifle rock solid. With a level it would be easy to make adjustments, quickly relevel and check the grid again.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Chronos » 06 Oct 2018, 3:52 pm

Apparently NIOA have issues a recall on PRW2’s and will exchange the top caps if requested. My guess is the replacements will have more clearance for the screw heads

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 06 Oct 2018, 6:36 pm

I have just enquired about returning a set of PRW2 that I purchased online.
See how I go.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by YoungSC » 10 Oct 2018, 4:08 pm

JimTom wrote:I have just enquired about returning a set of PRW2 that I purchased online.
See how I go.

Will be interested in your findings. Hoping I can get a refund, as I bought a different set of rings.
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by Urastus » 10 Oct 2018, 7:35 pm

I'm interested too. I saw a set of burris xtr rings something like this https://www.amazon.com/Burris-420223-Rings-Height-Matte/dp/B00U1AVEY0?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00U1AVEY0

They are the same sort of thing as the prw rings ie they have inserts. I like the look of these because of the two bolts that mount the rings to the rifle - many others just have one bolt here. Extra trouble to set up, but better. And Allen's way of setting up looks like a good way - but you need that bore scope tool which is where all the magic happens.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 11 Oct 2018, 6:55 am

Received an email from the supplier after I sent a photo showing how the PRW2 rings had failed.
Sending the rings back today, once received ed they are apparently going to contact me. Hoping they exchange them.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics