Cheap throw-down lever.

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Cheap throw-down lever.

Post by bladeracer » 21 Aug 2018, 3:12 pm

Somebody posted these on Facebook so I ordered ten of them.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-PAIR-OF-BREAKAWAY-TACKLE-NYLON-COASTERS/322420253664
Very nice.
Check that you have a few millimeters clearance along the side of the optic though, I think it'll be too close for the bolt on the M38 with the AR Optic but it works great on my other rifles.

I've been planning to make throw down levers out of aluminium for a long time but never manage to find the time - now I don't have to bother.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Cheap throw-down lever.

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Aug 2018, 4:17 pm

What do you use em for? :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 21 Aug 2018, 4:48 pm

bigfellascott wrote:What do you use em for? :unknown:

You screw it up tightly around the magnification ring, then cut the ends off to leave a handy knob.
Makes it significantly easier to change magnification, and you can see what magnification you're on just by looking at the lever position rather than looking for the numbers.
And it's easily removed by unscrewing the knob without any damage to the scope.
Attachments
20180821_163151b.jpg
20180821_163151b.jpg (845.06 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Aug 2018, 2:10 am

Cheers mate, can't say I've ever felt the need for such a thing, strange the scope manufacturers don't fit is standard? :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 22 Aug 2018, 6:43 am

those bushnell AR optics rings are stupidly hard to turn so thats a real good hack bladeracer!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2018, 8:33 am

bigfellascott wrote:Cheers mate, can't say I've ever felt the need for such a thing, strange the scope manufacturers don't fit is standard? :unknown:

Just a matter of cost I think. Some manufacturers offer throw-down levers as accessories, but they're pretty expensive.

I'm sure most shooters only use the minimum and maximum 99% of the time, so it's not a big enough problem for most people to spend $50 or $100 on addressing. But for $6 it's no longer a problem. A quick glance tells me if I'm on 4.5-power or 18-power depending on whether the knob is on the left or right side.

If you use the reticle for ranging by using the mid-range magnification or for hold-overs based on magnification then being able to change magnifcation quickly is particularly useful.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2018, 8:38 am

albat wrote:those bushnell AR optics rings are stupidly hard to turn so thats a real good hack bladeracer!

They can be tight, especially when your fingers are frozen :-)
The person that posted the info also mentioned he used double-sided tape around the zoom ring to stop it slipping, but these seem to grip just fine on the AR Optics rings.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 22 Aug 2018, 12:15 pm

Cool. I have 5 of AR optics scopes. Two of them are very stiff to turn. The other 3 are a bit stiff but not too bad. Looks like a good solution. Thanks Bladeracer
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 10 Oct 2021, 10:25 am

Better place than starting a new thread.

Was just looking at my ar optics 4.5-18 to see if this will fit. Not enough bolt clearance it seems, assuming it's as thick/wide as it appears

But, I did notice there is a set screw in that power ring. I'm assuming this just links the power ring to the internal mechanism. Thought occurred to me that you could replace that with something that sticks out as another alternative.

Anyone know if removing that set screw will open the internals of the scope to the atmosphere, or is it sealed further inside? Just don't want to let moisture inside if I play around with it
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Oct 2021, 10:29 am

I've got to ask ...

Are they legal in all states ? :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by disco stu » 10 Oct 2021, 10:54 am

:lol: I'll pay that
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 10 Oct 2021, 12:46 pm

I just buy the aluminium ones from AliExpress for about $5 each. No moving parts so not much can go wrong.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Oct 2021, 1:29 pm

Zeiss scopes have this feature built in to the magnification ring.
It doesn't stick out as far as the pic shows at the beginning of this thread,, but nonetheless it is enough to see at a glance, or feel.
It definitely makes turning the ring easier than a scope that doesn't have the feature.
I usually just use my thumb pushing against it to change magnification.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 10 Oct 2021, 1:49 pm

MontyShooter wrote:I just buy the aluminium ones from AliExpress for about $5 each. No moving parts so not much can go wrong.

Doesn't fit unfortunately. Diameter to large on my scope zoom ring. But if that screw doesn't affect internals it seems like a much more streamlined option screwing something into there
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Oct 2021, 3:31 pm

disco stu wrote:
MontyShooter wrote:I just buy the aluminium ones from AliExpress for about $5 each. No moving parts so not much can go wrong.

Doesn't fit unfortunately. Diameter to large on my scope zoom ring. But if that screw doesn't affect internals it seems like a much more streamlined option screwing something into there

A radiator hose clamp also works okay.

Don't know about putting that much force through those tiny threads in aluminium, I wouldn't.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Oct 2021, 3:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:
disco stu wrote:

A radiator hose clamp also works okay.

Don't know about putting that much force through those tiny threads in aluminium, I wouldn't.

Lol, you read my mind or perhaps a fairly big cable tie?

Never felt the need personally.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 10 Oct 2021, 4:28 pm

They're just stupidly stiff on the Bushnell AR.

That's a good point with the sideways pressure through that hole, I'm not sure if the resistance is from the zoom ring or the mechanism, if it's from the ring itself then there wouldn't be much force transferred through that set screw. Back to the add on lever idea

I'll try a big cable tie for the moment, not as thick as the breakaway screw up things so should give enough clearance. Might try and find some thin rubber to underneath for grip
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by str8shutr » 05 Jan 2022, 12:28 pm

Not super cheap but not the stupid crazy prices that the some of the OEMs try and charge:
https://throwlevers.com/

Haven't landed yet but at least they look pretty good.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2022, 12:58 pm

str8shutr wrote:Not super cheap but not the stupid crazy prices that the some of the OEMs try and charge:
https://throwlevers.com/

Haven't landed yet but at least they look pretty good.

A$50 despite the cheap shipping.
Still far, far too much for a throw-down lever.
Would be nice if they provided dimensions for those of us that don't own scopes on their very limited list of choices.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics