Scope for my varmint 308. Leupold, meopta or vortex?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope for my varmint 308. Leupold, meopta or vortex?

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 19 Sep 2018, 3:58 pm

So I'm looking for a scope to put on my varmint 308 and looking for opinions on what to go for.

The rifle is ordered and is a howa varmint 24" 308 in the bell and carlson stock.
Going to use it for targets past 500, and want to work my way up to 1km
And will be shooting pests mostly from a ute.

I've found 3 scopes I like being-
Leupold mark AR mod 1 6-18x40
Meopta meopro 6-18x50
Vortex viper 6.5-20x50

I'm heavily leaning towards the Leupold as i have 6 lower end Leupolds and i just always find them to look clearest when i compare them to mates vortex diamondback, or bushnells and so on.
And i also like that it is 40mm not 50mm.

I'm wanting to stay under 1,000. My wife has a nightforce shv 5-20x56, so if i was going to spend closer to 1500 then I'd just go for another shv.

So whats your opinions on these scopes or others around that range? Anyone have experience with the glass quality in these scopes?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Scope for my varmint 308. Leupold, meopta or vortex?

Post by bigrich » 19 Sep 2018, 4:04 pm

i'm a leupold fan as well KC , but a mate of mine has a meopro and the vision qaulity on dusk was really,really good :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 19 Sep 2018, 4:35 pm

Mate I have a Meopta Meopro 6-18x50 with BDC reticle.
I believe it is a nice bit of glass for the price. Reckon I paid a little over $700.
I do like Leupold though. Don’t think you would go wrong with either mate. Let us know what you decide.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 19 Sep 2018, 5:01 pm

If you thinking 1km, 24x and atleast 50mm and a 30mm tube. Look at athlon argos btr 6x24 about $700. Or similar
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 19 Sep 2018, 5:50 pm

deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JSS » 22 Sep 2018, 4:37 pm

Leupold, Their lifetime warranty is outstanding, i've personally seen 15 a year old scope sent back when it played up and as they didn't make that model anymore was just replaced with a brand new scope of similar but better specs. I've also been told of several similar cases by my gunshop.
When they say lifetime warranty they mean it, even if it's been sold 20 times the current owner gets the same deal. Can't beat that!!
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 22 Sep 2018, 5:35 pm

JSS wrote:Leupold, Their lifetime warranty is outstanding, i've personally seen 15 a year old scope sent back when it played up and as they didn't make that model anymore was just replaced with a brand new scope of similar but better specs. I've also been told of several similar cases by my gunshop.
When they say lifetime warranty they mean it, even if it's been sold 20 times the current owner gets the same deal. Can't beat that!!

Be pretty hard for anyone to compete with that. Sounds like a good deal mate. Reckon my next scope will be a Leupold.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by scoobs » 22 Sep 2018, 7:23 pm

athlon might be worth a look too
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 22 Sep 2018, 7:40 pm

Kelsey...can you get hold of all scopes at the same time...(ie; does your dealer/any dealer you can get to have them all in stock...?)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 22 Sep 2018, 8:11 pm

Stix wrote:Kelsey...can you get hold of all scopes at the same time...(ie; does your dealer/any dealer you can get to have them all in stock...?)

No wasn't able to get ahold of any to have a look at locally, ended up going with the leupold so will let you all know how it goes when it gets here
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by InisBineest » 14 Jul 2020, 9:34 pm

I've just had exactly the same choice toale (minus the vortex) and ended up ordering the leupold. I'm not expecting it to be as good in low light with the smaller bell, but then I don't often shoot at high mag levels at dawn and dusk so I think I'll be OK. The leupold was 100g lighter to which suited my needs better
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics