Universal dovetail mounts - heavy recoil

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Universal dovetail mounts - heavy recoil

Post by winton » 16 Oct 2018, 12:13 pm

Universal mounts come with a front dovetail mount and rear windage adjustable mounts like the one in this picture
Image.

I have these on my 30-06. I like them. You can adjust for large misalignments in the barrel and action alignment or scope to barrel alignment.

My question is; is the universal dovetail mount appropriate for magnum calibres? ie 300wm, 7mmRM, 375H&H etc. The rear windage mount only holds the rear rings by the force of 2 screws clamping together (in friction) like the right picture above. I don't know if this is enough for heavy recoiling rifles. My gut says it isn't. My gut says it probably isn't enough for a 30-06 even.

But then again, rings only hold scopes via friction also, so maybe it is enough?

What do you guys think?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Universal dovetail mounts - heavy recoil

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Oct 2018, 6:47 pm

I used Near rings and rail on a 460 WM and a 378 WM, they are excellent and look fantastic. I also used Nightforce rings and rail on a 416 Rigby which have not moved after 400 rounds. I would spend a bit more and guarantee that you won't have a problem.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 17 Oct 2018, 8:23 am

There is no picture so I assume you are referring to a so called 'turn in' mount.
Originally a Redfield mount but copied by many other makers such as Leupold etc.
The problem with this style of mount is that all the recoil must be taken by the front dovetail, the rear windage screws contribute little or no strength. If the dovetail is loose to start with or it is ponded loose by recoil then one or another windage screw caps will break.
If the dovetail is a tight fit to start with and the rifle is just used for occasional hunting then you may never see a problem. If the rifle is a heavy recoiler and is used a lot then problems might appear soon enough.
If you want a 'set and forget' durable mount then a Hillver (now Lynx) stud type bridge mount is the way to go.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by winton » 17 Oct 2018, 2:42 pm

@straightshooter, The picture comes out on my browser. Not sure why its not displaying elsewhere.

But you are correct in your description about what it is. Thanks for the reply. The info makes alot of sense but doesn't really give much confidence on these types of mounts. I have mine on a 30-06, but its only used for occasional hunting, so hopefully, I'll never see a problem, but I think I want to steer clear of them in future.

I wonder why they call them universal and I wonder why they still sell them despite the flaws you mentioned?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics