Best quality optic sub 1k

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Best quality optic sub 1k

Post by Chappo » 04 Mar 2019, 5:59 pm

Thanks Stix
The new 250 will be for roos and foxes.
I went with a 250 over a 223 for accuracy mostly (and other reasons.)
I’ll be shooting roos to 300yds but I would take a fox past that if I couldn’t get him in closer.
Im not a huge fan of long range hunting for ethical reasons and the places I hunt don’t often present a long distance shot that can’t be taken closer with a bit of stalking.
I’ve used optics with bigger mags before but thought they were best left to the target blokes.
I think a 4x is best for me down low and as high as 16 would get used occasionally but 12x is usually sufficient.
I have always been of the belief that a scope with 3x mag ie 3x9 or 4x12 will be of better quality and more robust than a 4x ie 3x12 or 4x16. And I’d rather something simple with less moving parts and robust for hunting.
Having said that I would definitely buy a 4x16 of “keep it forever quality” under 1k
The prostaff is just a thought because they are cheap and I’ve heard way more positive reports on them than negative ones.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 04 Mar 2019, 6:32 pm

Chappo...you mention moving parts being a of concern...a 4-12 prob has just as many moving parts as a 4-16... :thumbsup: It may have less glass though.
If a scope of that price range is going to fail its going to fail...!x more mag will most likely not be the determing factor for failure....it will be its ability to hold zero &/or be repeatable.

there maybe a slight loss of optical clarity in going to 16, but in that price range i doubt youll see it if it were even measurable...
The only difference will be that more mag will block out more light in low light times like dusk...in which case if ness just wind back a little.
I find if i cant see anything with 15 power at dusk when sniping bunnies, its too dark antway & im just seeing a blurry silhouette no matter what scope or mag im using. :unknown:

You will see more difference in the brands really.

Also, i dont see a 22-250 being more accurate than a 223.. :unknown: .it just has more advantages in hold over (less--or further range without holdover), energy & pushing through the wind a little better with the extra velocity...

a 4-12 it is then for you... :thumbsup:

Personally i couldnt imagine taking a shot on a fox beyond 300 with just 12x,...& i can barely see a bunnies head at 300 with 12x, so with the reticle covering it up id have no hope with my eyes... :lol:
i just feel for my liking, 12x is restricting the legs of the 250 somewhat...but its about what you are comfortable with on your rifle & how you shoot...there are plenty guys here who use what you want & swear by it, :thumbsup:

Make sure you show us pics of it laying over some fur... :clap:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chappo » 04 Mar 2019, 6:45 pm

Will do mate cheers! :drinks:
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 05 Mar 2019, 8:35 pm

Chappo,
On my 22-250 i have a Hawke Endurance 8x56 with the LR Dot illuminated reticle................spot on - and no need for any more magnification..............
A great scope for around $500 and great back-up from Guy at Hawke Australia..........

I have half a dozen Hawke's and they have been superb ........the Endurance and Frontier models are superb in low light too. Great Iluminated reticles too

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chappo » 05 Mar 2019, 9:09 pm

Thanks ck.
Gaz will chime in here and say +1 for the Hawke.
I’d like to have a gander through one, I’ve heard a lot of good things about them but the 3 lgs I have access to here don’t stock them.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 05 Mar 2019, 9:36 pm

+1
I hate to disappoint :D

But yes, big fan of Hawke, won't be having anything else. :drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1