Scope for LA101

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jan 2019, 9:37 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Why is the rimfire Bushnell $250 and the AR $150. They look like a very similar scope, turrets look identical.


I think just supply and demand.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5029
Victoria

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by brett1868 » 02 Jan 2019, 9:55 pm

The AR range is targeted at the large number of US shooters using the AR15 platform which explains the .223 drop zone reticule. They make them in the tens of thousands and probably cheaper due to economies of scale. Yep, very similar to the rimfire series but a bit pointless having a .223 calibrated reticule on a 22LR.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
User avatar
brett1868
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 3380
New South Wales

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jan 2019, 2:04 am

I have the ar in .223 - the BDC dots are kind of useless regardless as it doesn’t stipulate what velocity/weight bullet the dots are set up for and given I’ve got almost a 2 inch height difference between 24 / 26 gns @ 100m the compensator dots become ? A bit gimmicky- which I guess is fair enough given the price...
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06 (Dud!!!)
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 807
Tasmania

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by RangaWal » 06 Jan 2019, 9:55 pm

Ended up going with the synthetic stock, titanium Cerakote 22LR, with a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x50. This should server me pretty well I reckon. Thanks everyone for the advice.
RangaWal
Private
Private
 
Posts: 7
Queensland

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by byadbo boy » 07 Jan 2019, 12:41 pm

Have a look at some of the meopta meopro scopes if your LGS has them.
Beautiful glass - you may have to add $150-$200 to your budget but have a look.
Euro high end Czech quality but not a " household name brand"
Even though they have been making scopes and binoculars for generations for military
in Eu. they just aren't that off the cuff named here.
Which is strange as I have a couple and love em !
byadbo boy
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
New South Wales

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by Artie » 08 Jan 2019, 9:22 am

You will be hard pressed sending a 22LR 200 yards accurately and still have enough oomph.
I decided on wiehruch HW 60 J .222 and fitted a Hawke vantage 3x9 50 and couldn’t be happier.
Don’t really see the need for me too own a .22 LR when the .222 can do it and some more
Artie
Private
Private
 
Posts: 7
New South Wales

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 12:40 pm

Artie wrote:You will be hard pressed sending a 22LR 200 yards accurately and still have enough oomph.
I decided on wiehruch HW 60 J .222 and fitted a Hawke vantage 3x9 50 and couldn’t be happier.
Don’t really see the need for me too own a .22 LR when the .222 can do it and some more


If I were starving and spotted a fox at 200yds, I'm confident I could make a good chest shot with a scoped .22LR, as long as I had a range finder, and the wind wasn't too horrendous. In a survival situation though ethics tend to go out the window, when you need food you kill whatever you can, however you can. Although at that distance I'd be surprised if the fox was bothered by subsonic bullets whizzing by, so you could probably walk them onto the target. Would it have enough energy for a clean kill? I would say yes if you take out the heart, lungs, spine, aorta or liver. Would it be an ethical shot? Nope, not for me, but if it were the only opportunity I had to drop a bastard that's been killing stock or wildlife I might take the shot rather than wait and let him do more harm.

No need for a .22LR? And I'm picking up another .22 tomorrow, plus another 12ga, and an air-rifle :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5029
Victoria

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jan 2019, 7:04 pm

What would fox taste like?
SCJ429
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 951
New South Wales

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 8:40 pm

SCJ429 wrote:What would fox taste like?


I've seen video of people cooking and eating it, and I'm sure it's a common staple in some countries. If I had to eat it I don't think I'd much care what it tasted like :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 09 Jan 2019, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5029
Victoria

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by deye243 » 09 Jan 2019, 1:21 am

There was a bloke on shooting Australia forum and he used to shoot fox to eat ...... don't know what happened to him .....
Me I think I would rather eat my own arse
Last edited by deye243 on 10 Jan 2019, 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 989
Victoria

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by Ziad » 09 Jan 2019, 5:40 pm

Many of not most are full of mange...i dunno if i would advise you to eat it
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 928
Victoria

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by byadbo boy » 10 Jan 2019, 8:25 am

bladeracer wrote:
Artie wrote:You will be hard pressed sending a 22LR 200 yards accurately and still have enough oomph.
I decided on wiehruch HW 60 J .222 and fitted a Hawke vantage 3x9 50 and couldn’t be happier.
Don’t really see the need for me too own a .22 LR when the .222 can do it and some more


If I were starving and spotted a fox at 200yds, I'm confident I could make a good chest shot with a scoped .22LR, as long as I had a range finder, and the wind wasn't too horrendous. In a survival situation though ethics tend to go out the window, when you need food you kill whatever you can, however you can. Although at that distance I'd be surprised if the fox was bothered by subsonic bullets whizzing by, so you could probably walk them onto the target. Would it have enough energy for a clean kill? I would say yes if you take out the heart, lungs, spine, aorta or liver. Would it be an ethical shot? Nope, not for me, but if it were the only opportunity I had to drop a bastard that's been killing stock or wildlife I might take the shot rather than wait and let him do more harm.

No need for a .22LR? And I'm picking up another .22 tomorrow, plus another 12ga, and an air-rifle :-)



Some really good points here.
High velocity 22LR - if from nothing from a basic safety point of view- Is still an extremely dangerous proposition for humans at 200yds
-and this should never be forgotten.
I certainly wouldn't let someone take a shot at me at that range !
I am a rimfire fanatic - but I am extremely careful on even our remote rural property of where that discharged projectile will eventually settle.
I don't profess to be a crack shot- BUT I am confident if I was starving and It wasn't blowing a gale, with one of my better rifles and a rangefinder,
I could get something to stop so I could eat it.
byadbo boy
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
New South Wales

Re: Scope for LA101

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2019, 1:36 pm

byadbo boy wrote:Some really good points here.
High velocity 22LR - if from nothing from a basic safety point of view- Is still an extremely dangerous proposition for humans at 200yds
-and this should never be forgotten.
I certainly wouldn't let someone take a shot at me at that range !
I am a rimfire fanatic - but I am extremely careful on even our remote rural property of where that discharged projectile will eventually settle.
I don't profess to be a crack shot- BUT I am confident if I was starving and It wasn't blowing a gale, with one of my better rifles and a rangefinder,
I could get something to stop so I could eat it.


Some US presidents can vouch for the abilities of .22LR, as can the population of parts of Chicago.
But I can't help thinking that the world wars might've been more fun if they were fought with .22LR :-)

I'm not a .22LR fanatic (honest, I'm not!), but I do have eight .22LR rifles...and seem to get tons of fun out of shooting extraordinary amounts of the stuff :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5029
Victoria

Previous

Back to top
 
Return to Scopes, sights and optics