Stripped Allen screws - scope rings.

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Stripped Allen screws - scope rings.

Post by straightshooter » 05 Jan 2019, 6:37 am

Zappa wrote:Where does one obtain those stepped inserts you mention ?

Somebody will need to make them for you.

bladeracer wrote:
Zappa wrote:can anyone tell me what that allen screw that is recessed into the rear ring , is for ? height adjuster ??

https://imgur.com/a/wzgI6Xi

I would guess that screw is for locking the ring into place on a rail so it can't move fore-aft.

It may also allow for slight correction of misalignment.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Zappa » 05 Jan 2019, 9:07 am

straightshooter wrote:
It may also allow for slight correction of misalignment.

In the end, exactly how I used it. I've used that grub screw to lift the rear base in plane with the front base. I used a steel rule and slid it across from the front base to the rear until it just kissed the rear base. I tightened the rear dovetail while I had a small spirit level across the base in case it canted ever so slightly.
Worked a treat.

this should go in another thread but,
Ive been reading up on leveling scopes and came across some articles about not needing to level the gun to the scope. Rather , just concern yourself with leveling the reticle to the world. Reason is, most people like to shoot with a slightly canted gun and leveling the gun ( action) with the scope doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If you're bench shooting , I would think a level action to a level scope would be the go, however firing off the shoulder AND at long distances it may make sense to focus on having a level reticle to the objective or the world.

I should ask one of the F class shooters at my club who is also a good field hunter.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2019, 12:21 pm

Zappa wrote:Ive been reading up on leveling scopes and came across some articles about not needing to level the gun to the scope. Rather , just concern yourself with leveling the reticle to the world. Reason is, most people like to shoot with a slightly canted gun and leveling the gun ( action) with the scope doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

A canted reticle just introduces a little offset between the bore and the sight line. At long-range the offset might matter, but it's unlikely. When I mounted the scope on of my Mausers offset to the left by 30mm, all I did was zero 30mm to the left of point of aim. If you zero dead-on at 100m the bullets will be hitting 30mm to the right at 200m, 90mm at 400m, and so on. Better to zero it with the offset so it stays the same regardless of range. With a canted reticle the difference is much smaller, perhaps only one or two millimeters offset.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics