Sighting in a thermal scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Sighting in a thermal scope

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jan 2019, 3:38 pm

its A pulsar xp 50. What’s the best heat source to position in the centre of a target. I have heard a cigarette is ok. If I jam a win field in a hole started with a screwdriver in the centre of a target I am hoping it will stay lit. Somebody told me that cigarette s these days tend to not stay lit unless they are being smoked . I’m a non smoker so I have no idea.
Blr243
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Sighting in a thermal scope

Post by Gaznazdiak » 23 Jan 2019, 3:59 pm

You need something that generates a lot of heat but no light, so a politician would be perfect. I'm pretty sure they are a protected species of vermin though 8-)
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 23 Jan 2019, 4:03 pm

Seriously though, you need something that doesn't glow like a cigarette because you are looking for objects that only glow in infrared.
Perhaps a nut on a lngth of wire, heated with a butane torch?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 23 Jan 2019, 5:52 pm

Did you read the manual? If I recall correctly, they describe two methods.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by hunting99 » 23 Jan 2019, 9:03 pm

I heat up the metal on a shot gun shell with a lighter. Them put it halfway through a cardboard box. And then fire away, it normally stays hot for long enough to get sighted in.
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Jan 2019, 10:07 pm

Being a thermal it doesn't need any light and if they are sensitive enough to detect the heat from a wombat at 1k then you don't need much of a temp difference to zero at 100m. If you're using a paper target then you use foil tape and a 1" hole punch to create stick on foil dots, stick them on and give them a rub to warm them up then go for it. I run the XD50 on a 308 and this was the easiest method I found to get it zero'd. As for the methods in the manual they are more related to how to adjust the reticule either by measuring or enabling the single shot capture method.

First attempt to get a zero, got a rough zero using the hot shredded rubber in the backstop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_TxzGcIhKk

Stalking the kitty in the pitch black...amazing how the foot prints are visible for up to a minute using thermal imaging.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dZ9uOBWiNs
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 02 Feb 2019, 11:22 am

Sorry for late reply. Thank you for the info.
Blr243
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 02 Feb 2019, 9:29 pm

No1_49er wrote:Did you read the manual? If I recall correctly, they describe two methods.

cared enough to reply didn't care enough to help :thumbsdown:
tom604
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by brinny » 13 Feb 2019, 8:06 pm

I usually use alfoil folded up about ten times into a small 2 or so inch square....on a warm enough day the foil generates enough heat for the thermal to pick it up.....I also use a small soft drink can of frozen water...thermals will pick cold up as much as they will heat....below is a video of me hitting a small can of frozen water at 130m....works well....

https://youtu.be/EqUo61ChsgQ
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 14 Feb 2019, 10:33 am

tom604 wrote:
No1_49er wrote:Did you read the manual? If I recall correctly, they describe two methods.

cared enough to reply didn't care enough to help :thumbsdown:

Maybe the suggestion to "Read the manual" was my help! Sometimes it's the never done, or last thing, that owners of new equipment actually do.

If OP doesn't have the manual, for whatever reason, he has chosen to use an internet forum to request help when he could have gone directly to the manufacturers web site and downloaded a pdf version.

I have an original for my own scope, and a pdf version. It's not that hard, really.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziad » 14 Feb 2019, 10:41 am

Lol I see this a lot, and even I have done it. We post up asking a simple question... wait for 6hrs or 2 days... when the answer is right in front of us if we actually bothered to search it.
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics