Sighting in a thermal scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Sighting in a thermal scope

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Dec 2019, 5:07 pm

Sounds good mate. Might be away myself but get reception where we go. Few deer that need some lead poisoning at one spot where the owner is sick of her saplings being eaten, and another block where the pigs are thick around the water with the drought and all...The owner has a live feed trailcam on his place that ive got the feed for....
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Dec 2019, 6:11 pm

Glad u mentioned the live trail cam thing. My bank account is healthy atm so I’ll try to find one before I go bush and hope like hell the reception is good enough out there
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 25 Dec 2019, 6:39 pm

I used the sun. Scope is good enough to pick it up.

https://youtu.be/nmgG0bNY7HM?list=PLVIn ... jx8N6uL6pS
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2020, 9:25 pm

Sometimes I struggle a bit with the pulsar oneshot zero system. There’s nothing wrong with the system it’s just my intelligence struggling with too many buttons. ( the following info would really only be of use to people with one shot sighting of thermal scopes )..... It’s no problem if I have to move the little ccross a certain reasonable distance to correct poi, but sometimes if I only have to make a minor adjustment the screen can be a little too complex for me to juggle it all. So today I dropped the bolt out and set it up on a target 100 m away ( in zero mode ) and I counted a total of 37 clicks to move the digital reticle about 225 mm below the original poi. Then out with my calculator and when I divide 225 mm by 37 answer is 6 mm. So now I know that for every button push I’m moving my poi 6 mm and that should make zero process easier for me now. I’m not surprised that pulsar have set up the adjustment like that because it’s the sort of one click is quarter inch system that many manufacturers use. So I have just posted this in the hope that it may help someone if they were ever struggling....... it’s common for young people to be able to cope with technology better than older people. I have heard of a few older people struggling with the system but I found if I were to be patient and READ THE BLOODY INSTRUCTIONS it made it all, so much easier
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 19 Jan 2020, 9:41 pm

I’ve found that while the notion of a “one shot zero” is do-able, I still put 2-3 shots on a target so I can gauge the rough area of grouping. I find it a very simple process these days but great to know the 6mm click adjustment....
I’ve also found thermal scopes a bit harder to get tight groups because you’re not shooting at a bullet hole, rather a heat patch. Only has to be “point of pig” though
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jan 2020, 10:39 pm

Yes I agree, I do two or three group and then fiddle with the buttons. And your right about the fine tuning and sighting in on the big lump of hand warmer. There’s no way we can shoot as fine as those blokes with big twenty four power target scopes on the the range but...........I reckon there’s a chance sneaking around in the dark on a moonless night on the black soil plains we’re having a stack more fun than they do In between shots they run patches thru their bores and wait for the rifle to cool down ......in between shots we take photos and scan for more boars .
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 19 Jan 2020, 10:43 pm

You pickin a fight with the range boys BLR?? Haha
Do it at night if ya do lol
We’ll back each other up :drinks:
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal