Scope identification.

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Scope identification.

Post by Chappo » 30 Jan 2019, 8:55 pm

Sorry mate that’s as close a picture I could take in focus but this is what it looks like when I draw it.
Attachments
09449BEF-FC4C-4F59-8CDE-E6FAC561F154.jpeg
09449BEF-FC4C-4F59-8CDE-E6FAC561F154.jpeg (476.65 KiB) Viewed 9209 times
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 01 Feb 2019, 9:14 pm

Chappo,

A bit more digging...

Trawling through a forum about manufacturers logos on telescopes, and there was a discussion about the various Japanese ones.

For example:
Optical Company Logos (Japanese)

Badge SOC=Showa Optical Company (Not the same as S.O.C)
Circle T-Towa
Circle Dash (-)-?????
Circle K-Kenko or Koyu (Pre-Vixen)
Diamond Z-Tanzutsu
Diamond SYW-Yamamoto
Circle Upside down Y-Eikow
Circle + (plus)-Shimadzu Seisakusho
Circle W-? Wannabe?
Diamond BOL-??? Bushnell Optical Labs
HOC-Hino Optical Company
Circle V-Vixen
Crown Goto-Goto Optical (why can’t they all be this easy!)
Circle A-Astro Optical
Circle G, backwards G, in a cross-Astro Optical-Older
COC-Carton Optical Company
APL-Apollo Business & Industry-Bought by Koyu, then Vixen.
AvA=Takahashi on Swift
Star on Crescent-Nishimura
KOL-King Optical

And the, Diamond Z-Zanzutsu (sp?)

In amongst all of this, there was a vague mention to the quality of the 'Circle Z' optics.
"Circle Z is better than most anything you can buy today, but IMHO inferior to Royal, Yamamoto, Eikow, etc."
Sadly; no-one thought to mention WHO Circle Z might be(or what the logo looked like).

There was a company called the "Zuiho Optical Co", which seems to have made optics for a number of other major optics manufacturers. I cant seem to find a logo for the company, but I did find an image of a Zuhio rifle scope, and it looks VERY similar to yours, though possibly an earlier version?

I did find a reference that suggests that 'Zuhio Optical Co.' MIGHT be one of the companies that evolved into OLYMPUS, but I'm not certain about whether I've understood that right.
Anyway; take a look at that Zuhio scope in the attached image, and I can see a LOT of similarities to yours. I also found an advert that said that in 1959, Zuhio made a riflescope with a 31mm objective lens, but the advert didnt mention a variable scope in production at that stage.

And finally; the way the 'JAPAN' is stamped on the scope, gives you an idea of what era it was produced in.
If it says 'Made in Japan', then it's a different era to 'Made in Japan OC' (The OC standing for 'Occupied Country') I think the OC designation was required on all exported products from 1945 through to some time in the mid 1950's, and then it was just stamped 'Japan', and then 'Made in japan' from some time in the early 1960's.
I dont have the detail of each of these time periods(or if I've got them right), but you can search for it on the net.

If I was betting money, I would think you have a Zuhio scope that has been re-badged for another company.

I hope this helps.
Attachments
Screenshot-2019-2-1 Zuiho gun scope image at DuckDuckGo.png
Screenshot-2019-2-1 Zuiho gun scope image at DuckDuckGo.png (993.13 KiB) Viewed 9182 times
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 01 Feb 2019, 9:19 pm

Extra Note: It seems that some Mauser rifles use a Circle Z, but it doesnt have the curled over ends on the Z, or the diagonal slash across the middle.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chappo » 02 Feb 2019, 8:40 am

7954895D-EA22-452B-BD1E-1066CB65FDFA.png
7954895D-EA22-452B-BD1E-1066CB65FDFA.png (863.33 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
C01DE94D-9485-40D3-8C7D-5F2BD49EFE83.jpeg
C01DE94D-9485-40D3-8C7D-5F2BD49EFE83.jpeg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 9168 times
Mate I reckon you’re bang on and thank you.
Looked into zuiho a bit this morning (probably read all the same pages you did) and when I take a photo of my scope at the same angle as the one you found it looks pretty identical.
It makes sense to me that if your machinery was set up to print in that location on the side of the turret block then you still would wether it was with your brand or someone else’s or just magnification power.
I think this is either a rebadged Zuiho or at least it’s an Ace scope assembled with Zuiho parts.
It’d be nice to put a date on it but oh well...

I’ve learned a lot about early optics lately and with all your research it will now be a more treasured item.

Mitch@ripley started a thread about forever guns and this to me is a great example of what helps make them.
I am a sucker for secondhand firearms with some kind of story behind them. The battle scars, dents and scratches give a sense of personality to me and knowing even a little bit of history only adds to its sentimental value.

Thanks again mate, can’t wait to see the next picture of a fox in it!
:drinks:
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 02 Feb 2019, 9:29 am

Chappo,

My pleasure; It was an interesting hunt, and I learned a lot myself about post-war Japanese optics!
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2019, 10:40 am

Rod_outbak wrote:Chappo,

A bit more digging...

Trawling through a forum about manufacturers logos on telescopes, and there was a discussion about the various Japanese ones.

An outstanding piece of research Rob, just awesome!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 03 Feb 2019, 9:28 am

bladeracer,

Many thanks.

Truth be told, I'm trying to avoid bookwork, and so ANYTHING that drags me away from that crap is welcomed with open arms...

Chappo; Found this reference this morning (see attached)

My guess is your scope is made in the 1960's. I say that, because the 1959 lineup of Zuhio scopes doesnt include any variable scopes, which suggests they might have been a later addition.
Note the logo is different, and it makes me wonder if they changed the logo when they absorbed Mejiro into Zuhio??

I've seen a couple of mentions that suggest that Zuhiro were more a trading company than an actual manufacturer in the 1950's, but I think they evolved into being a manufacturer as time went on.

Anyway, I shall now have to bite the bullet, accept my fate, and do rotten stinking bookwork....sigh.

Cheers,

Rod.
Attachments
Screenshot-2019-2-3 Historic Camera Camera Photography Information Resource.png
Screenshot-2019-2-3 Historic Camera Camera Photography Information Resource.png (162.55 KiB) Viewed 9144 times
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Feb 2019, 9:53 am

Mate it's ok don't worry about it, I am currently two bas statements behind. I know the feeling
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2019, 4:12 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Truth be told, I'm trying to avoid bookwork, and so ANYTHING that drags me away from that crap is welcomed with open arms...

I've been in the same place this week, having to write another bloody letter to Firearms before they'll approve some PtA's they're sitting on. Hoping to get it done tonight!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics