Fixed vs variable

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Fixed vs variable

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2019, 1:45 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate I was also of the opinion that fixed power were more reliable however that was back in the 90's, and I believe variable nowadays are far better than they used to be.
I run mostly variables on my gear and that's mainly because fixed power scopes are harder to find as Bigpete said.

+1
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Feb 2019, 2:02 pm

Are they really that hard to find? OR do you see the $$$ being asked for a fixed scope and then wonder if your getting less for your $$$?
Reason I ask is because a while ago, I listed a Leupold M8 6x with bases and rings, original box, covers, etc for a silly low price, as a bit of a thank you to the forum for advice - and it didn’t sell on here...which given the price was an eye opener.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2019, 2:14 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Are they really that hard to find? OR do you see the $$$ being asked for a fixed scope and then wonder if your getting less for your $$$?
Reason I ask is because a while ago, I listed a Leupold M8 6x with bases and rings, original box, covers, etc for a silly low price, as a bit of a thank you to the forum for advice - and it didn’t sell on here...which given the price was an eye opener.

It might just be the 6-power that limits the potential interest. If it were 4-power I think it'd be snapped up quick.

I would find 6-power too much for a general hunting rifle, 4-power is about the most I can work with for close-range snap-shooting. Anything higher than that would really only be suitable for dedicated competition I think, where the range is always the same.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Feb 2019, 2:50 pm

Fair point. I found the 6x wasn’t enough for me but every situation is different.
But even a quick search on the usual sites brings up quite a no of fixed power scopes for sale...of varying power. I dunno - I just never thought they’d be classed as difficult to find.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Feb 2019, 6:19 pm

The father in law is right, the fixed powered scopes may be more reliable because there is less to go wrong with them. Some competition shooters use them when they are weight limited and the fixed powered scopes are generally lighter. A lot of scoped rimfire use fixed powered scopes, 36x for 50 metre shooting is not uncommon.

If you want to go hunting with a fixed power which has reasonable magnification you will need to learn to shoot with both eyes open. You look at your target with your non dominant eyes and then bring the retical to it. You will find the retical a little low but close enough to get on.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 22 Feb 2019, 7:20 pm

SCJ429 wrote: A lot of scoped rimfire use fixed powered scopes, 36x for 50 metre shooting is not uncommon.

WOW!!!!!! :o :lol: :drinks:
I've got sooooo much to learn about comp shooting!!!!!!!! :lol:
And that's not taking the piss at all its just such a foreign concept to use that much mag at 50m. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Feb 2019, 7:30 pm

Your not the only one there - I cannot fathom that amount of mag for that purpose...
BUT I recently went to a local range for a look see for night time, mid week fun stuff.
There was a guy there who had an insane set up, a huge scope that he looks through, aligns his target, locks down a stay then rechecks sight - then draw his head away from rifle and smiles at and pulls trigger...I thought - why...? Why would you bother? That’s not shooting...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2019, 7:37 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Your not the only one there - I cannot fathom that amount of mag for that purpose...
BUT I recently went to a local range for a look see for night time, mid week fun stuff.
There was a guy there who had an insane set up, a huge scope that he looks through, aligns his target, locks down a stay then rechecks sight - then draw his head away from rifle and smiles at and pulls trigger...I thought - why...? Why would you bother? That’s not shooting...

Because he's afraid of the pain he will have to endure in the aftermath of the massive penis extension operation he would have to do to otherwise smile like that... :?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Feb 2019, 8:35 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Your not the only one there - I cannot fathom that amount of mag for that purpose...

What were his groups like? Was it all for show or were his groups in the .100? Nothing wrong with some showboating if you can deliver the goods.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 22 Feb 2019, 8:41 pm

Soon they will be going to the range, setting up the gear then sitting 10m away and firing it remotely from a laptop or app!
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Feb 2019, 8:46 pm

Chappo wrote:Soon they will be going to the range, setting up the gear then sitting 10m away and firing it remotely from a laptop or app!

Exactly! That’s what I was hitting on watching this guy...it just didn’t seem right.
Yep - he was outshooting everyone else on the night. His groups were .2 and better...but...just doesn’t sit right with me. It’s lile bolting a rifle into a vice, double checking the sight and then just flicking the trigger...where is the skill?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Feb 2019, 8:57 pm

Daddybang wrote:
SCJ429 wrote: A lot of scoped rimfire use fixed powered scopes, 36x for 50 metre shooting is not uncommon.

And that's not taking the piss at all its just such a foreign concept to use that much mag at 50m. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Most guys start out using lower powered scopes but move up in magnification. The better you can see the more precisely you can aim. I use a 24x for 200 metre rimfire but could use some more magnification. You also can see the mirage better using high power. This helps you see what the wind is doing.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 22 Feb 2019, 11:43 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
Daddybang wrote:

Most guys start out using lower powered scopes but move up in magnification. The better you can see the more precisely you can aim. I use a 24x for 200 metre rimfire but could use some more magnification. You also can see the mirage better using high power. This helps you see what the wind is doing.

Yeah I figured that there's a reason but I just don't think I would feel right. ..as tassie said I'd almost feel like I was cheatin :lol: :lol: :drinks:
And again that's not to say others shouldn't or there's anything wrong with usin that kind of.set up and equipment just that it's not for me :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics