Fixed vs variable

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Fixed vs variable

Post by Chappo » 21 Feb 2019, 8:36 pm

Had a conversation with the father in law today about scopes. He said that back in his day fixed scopes were considered more reliable and were preferred amongst a lot of hunters and competitive shooters.
Now that I think of it, I don’t often use the variable function and my “variable” scopes sit on the same magnification alot of the time.

Are fixed power scopes more reliable?
Does the zero of a variables stray a little as the magnification is adjusted?
Is parallax better managed with a fixed power?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Fixed vs variable

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Feb 2019, 8:47 pm

My big Hawke is a 10-50×60.
I haven't had problems with zero except through a loose quick release.
I rarely use the 50x and only ever for spotting, I was mainly looking for the biggest objective lens I could get for light gathering in twilight conditions.
I mainly hunt from 10x-30x, any higher magnifies my shakes too much, but I would never go back to fixed.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 21 Feb 2019, 9:19 pm

I'd happily run fixed powers on 90% of my guns if I could bloody find them !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 21 Feb 2019, 9:23 pm

Mate I was also of the opinion that fixed power were more reliable however that was back in the 90's, and I believe variable nowadays are far better than they used to be.
I run mostly variables on my gear and that's mainly because fixed power scopes are harder to find as Bigpete said.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2019, 9:24 pm

Chappo wrote:Had a conversation with the father in law today about scopes. He said that back in his day fixed scopes were considered more reliable and were preferred amongst a lot of hunters and competitive shooters.
Now that I think of it, I don’t often use the variable function and my “variable” scopes sit on the same magnification alot of the time.

Are fixed power scopes more reliable?
Does the zero of a variables stray a little as the magnification is adjusted?
Is parallax better managed with a fixed power?

In the old days variables had some difficult maintaining zero throughout the zoom range, nowadays even cheap Chinese scopes handle this just fine.

With variables, there are generally three positions that get used, minimum zoom when walking, maximum zoom when shooting, and optimal exit pupil when shooting under a light. I think we must be getting close to seeing cheap electronic scopes that can just give you those options without requiring all the travel between them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 21 Feb 2019, 9:31 pm

bigpete wrote:I'd happily run fixed powers on 90% of my guns if I could bloody find them !

Me to would love a LEUPOLD FX 16x56 side focus ......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 21 Feb 2019, 9:42 pm

You trying to shoot the moon lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Feb 2019, 9:46 pm

I reckon 50-60% of my rifles are wearing fixed scopes on em.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Feb 2019, 9:49 pm

Fixed power has fewer lenses, with a brighter image all other things being equal. The downside is that you are stuck with one magnification. You don't want to go hunting with a fixed 36x because it is hard to find your target. This means you have to go with much lower magnification. Some hunters struggle with a fixed 12x so you end up with 4 or 6x.

You are not going to miss your target because of parallax error with a variable scope and in fact the extra magnification can make you aim more precisely. What power scope are you looking at?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 21 Feb 2019, 10:42 pm

bigpete wrote:You trying to shoot the moon lol

I've been using 4.5-14X50 scopes on all my culling rifles for 15 years and none of them have ever been off 14X my eyes are getting a bit tired now and a little bit extra is needed so it looks like I will just have to get 3 6.5-20X50 and leave them on 16x and put up with the size of them ......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Feb 2019, 5:29 am

deye243 wrote:
bigpete wrote:You trying to shoot the moon lol

I've been using 4.5-14X50 scopes on all my culling rifles for 15 years and none of them have ever been off 14X my eyes are getting a bit tired now and a little bit extra is needed so it looks like I will just have to get 3 6.5-20X50 and leave them on 16x and put up with the size of them ......

My eyes are have started to go off in the last year or so, I now need glasses to read :( I can still see fine long distance wise (although not as good as I used to be I don't think) but good enough - hopefully I won't need to upgrade the scopes to do what I do as I love the scopes I use now. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chappo » 22 Feb 2019, 6:01 am

SCJ429 wrote:What power scope are you looking at?

Not looking at any.
Just curious as to the pros and cons
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 22 Feb 2019, 7:31 am

i have a steel tube weaver k4 the thing will hold zero and looks good on guns from the same era.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bazooker » 22 Feb 2019, 8:10 am

One of the other advantages of fixed scopes back in the day was the weight factor, particularly in terms of hunting rifles.

Throw that in with, reliability, better light transmission, no change in holdover with varying zoom, you can see where the beliefs came from.

Nowadays we have more options and much higher quality technology.

The joy of a fixed power scope is you just throw the rifle to your shoulder and you're ready to go......simples.

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Feb 2019, 8:20 am

Ive found in my limited experience with fixed scopes that they offer more eye relief as well...as soon as I sold the M8 leo and put on a variable on - I cut my eye brow first shot. bastard!!!!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 22 Feb 2019, 8:48 am

As a personal preference I'd take a set 4 or 6x for a hunting scope over variable but that's just me. :thumbsup: :drinks:
As has been said above when variables first really started to make an appearance they had a few issues holding zero however these days the kinks have been pretty much worked out but that reputation remains. ..kinda like auto 4×4's.. :drinks:
the variable scopes I own are all 3-9x40 and it's a very rare occasion that they'll be moved off 5x and I've never used them above 6x or below4x . :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 22 Feb 2019, 9:45 am

Daddybang wrote:As a personal preference I'd take a set 4 or 6x for a hunting scope over variable but that's just me. :thumbsup: :drinks:
As has been said above when variables first really started to make an appearance they had a few issues holding zero however these days the kinks have been pretty much worked out but that reputation remains. ..kinda like auto 4×4's.. :drinks:
the variable scopes I own are all 3-9x40 and it's a very rare occasion that they'll be moved off 5x and I've never used them above 6x or below4x . :drinks:

Funny about the auto 4x4s, I was one of those who pontificated from ignorance about how I wouldn't want the car deciding what gear I was in when off road, not even taking the clutch into consideration.

Of course, once I changed from manual series Land Rover to 4 speed auto in the Range Rover, I discovered I'd been speaking from the blurter.
Even though I had been wanting a Rangie from the first time I saw one in 1970, it was seeing the late Fred Hollows, another RR tragic, driving his up a steep scree slope, pull up, get out on a slope he could hardly stand on, then get back in and drive on without spinning a wheel that convinced me that auto was the go.

Since then, I have seen the difference many times with drivers in manuals spinning wheels and frying clutches where those of us who had seen the light just idling past with big, smug grins.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Feb 2019, 10:49 am

We do not know, what we do not know...remember the first few factory autos being rolled out as standard items...”who the hell is going to buy one of them...”
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2019, 1:45 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate I was also of the opinion that fixed power were more reliable however that was back in the 90's, and I believe variable nowadays are far better than they used to be.
I run mostly variables on my gear and that's mainly because fixed power scopes are harder to find as Bigpete said.

+1
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Feb 2019, 2:02 pm

Are they really that hard to find? OR do you see the $$$ being asked for a fixed scope and then wonder if your getting less for your $$$?
Reason I ask is because a while ago, I listed a Leupold M8 6x with bases and rings, original box, covers, etc for a silly low price, as a bit of a thank you to the forum for advice - and it didn’t sell on here...which given the price was an eye opener.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2019, 2:14 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Are they really that hard to find? OR do you see the $$$ being asked for a fixed scope and then wonder if your getting less for your $$$?
Reason I ask is because a while ago, I listed a Leupold M8 6x with bases and rings, original box, covers, etc for a silly low price, as a bit of a thank you to the forum for advice - and it didn’t sell on here...which given the price was an eye opener.

It might just be the 6-power that limits the potential interest. If it were 4-power I think it'd be snapped up quick.

I would find 6-power too much for a general hunting rifle, 4-power is about the most I can work with for close-range snap-shooting. Anything higher than that would really only be suitable for dedicated competition I think, where the range is always the same.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Feb 2019, 2:50 pm

Fair point. I found the 6x wasn’t enough for me but every situation is different.
But even a quick search on the usual sites brings up quite a no of fixed power scopes for sale...of varying power. I dunno - I just never thought they’d be classed as difficult to find.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Feb 2019, 6:19 pm

The father in law is right, the fixed powered scopes may be more reliable because there is less to go wrong with them. Some competition shooters use them when they are weight limited and the fixed powered scopes are generally lighter. A lot of scoped rimfire use fixed powered scopes, 36x for 50 metre shooting is not uncommon.

If you want to go hunting with a fixed power which has reasonable magnification you will need to learn to shoot with both eyes open. You look at your target with your non dominant eyes and then bring the retical to it. You will find the retical a little low but close enough to get on.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 22 Feb 2019, 7:20 pm

SCJ429 wrote: A lot of scoped rimfire use fixed powered scopes, 36x for 50 metre shooting is not uncommon.

WOW!!!!!! :o :lol: :drinks:
I've got sooooo much to learn about comp shooting!!!!!!!! :lol:
And that's not taking the piss at all its just such a foreign concept to use that much mag at 50m. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Feb 2019, 7:30 pm

Your not the only one there - I cannot fathom that amount of mag for that purpose...
BUT I recently went to a local range for a look see for night time, mid week fun stuff.
There was a guy there who had an insane set up, a huge scope that he looks through, aligns his target, locks down a stay then rechecks sight - then draw his head away from rifle and smiles at and pulls trigger...I thought - why...? Why would you bother? That’s not shooting...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2019, 7:37 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Your not the only one there - I cannot fathom that amount of mag for that purpose...
BUT I recently went to a local range for a look see for night time, mid week fun stuff.
There was a guy there who had an insane set up, a huge scope that he looks through, aligns his target, locks down a stay then rechecks sight - then draw his head away from rifle and smiles at and pulls trigger...I thought - why...? Why would you bother? That’s not shooting...

Because he's afraid of the pain he will have to endure in the aftermath of the massive penis extension operation he would have to do to otherwise smile like that... :?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Feb 2019, 8:35 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Your not the only one there - I cannot fathom that amount of mag for that purpose...

What were his groups like? Was it all for show or were his groups in the .100? Nothing wrong with some showboating if you can deliver the goods.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 22 Feb 2019, 8:41 pm

Soon they will be going to the range, setting up the gear then sitting 10m away and firing it remotely from a laptop or app!
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Feb 2019, 8:46 pm

Chappo wrote:Soon they will be going to the range, setting up the gear then sitting 10m away and firing it remotely from a laptop or app!

Exactly! That’s what I was hitting on watching this guy...it just didn’t seem right.
Yep - he was outshooting everyone else on the night. His groups were .2 and better...but...just doesn’t sit right with me. It’s lile bolting a rifle into a vice, double checking the sight and then just flicking the trigger...where is the skill?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Feb 2019, 8:57 pm

Daddybang wrote:
SCJ429 wrote: A lot of scoped rimfire use fixed powered scopes, 36x for 50 metre shooting is not uncommon.

WOW!!!!!! :o :lol: :drinks:
I've got sooooo much to learn about comp shooting!!!!!!!! :lol:
And that's not taking the piss at all its just such a foreign concept to use that much mag at 50m. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Most guys start out using lower powered scopes but move up in magnification. The better you can see the more precisely you can aim. I use a 24x for 200 metre rimfire but could use some more magnification. You also can see the mirage better using high power. This helps you see what the wind is doing.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics