Leupold VXR 3-9 X 50 Fire Dot

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Leupold VXR 3-9 X 50 Fire Dot

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Mar 2019, 11:36 am

Who has got or tried one of these ?

And,,,,, what are your opinions ?

I think Leupold brought these out to compete with the Zeiss Duralyt.
The blog says they are magic for spotlighting,,,,,,,, and the first time I tried mine out I must say I was pretty disappointed.

They can't hold a candle to the Zeiss in my opinion.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Leupold VXR 3-9 X 50 Fire Dot

Post by marksman » 09 Mar 2019, 12:07 pm

the euro scopes are made for reduced light eg sunset sunrise as they are not aloud to spotlight, they are not made for spotlighting
nightforce are :thumbsup:
I use a 4-12x50 firedot for quick close head shots usually just on dark, out to 150 yards hasn't failed me yet, touch wood :drinks:
I've never tried to compare it to anything else :unknown: but it does the damage for me :thumbsup:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Mar 2019, 12:12 pm

Isn’t the Leo a USA based scope co? Or are there certain models designed for eu?
I’ve looked at a couple bottom end Leo’s and they have not turned me on over anything else...they are miles below the company’s vx 3 and above range...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Mar 2019, 2:33 pm

Hi Marksman,
Quick close headshots would be about it for me,, < 50 m (on a scrubber bull maybe)

The reticle with its little black circle is waaaaaaay too busy I reckon, and it doesn't have all that gooda light gathering capabilities.
Especially for a scope that's supposed to be ideal in poorer light.

And Tassie,,,,,,, I reckon you got it nailed mate, their lower end stuff is nowhere near the quality they used to turn out.

I like a "fairly" fine crosshair for a good light gathering scope in low light, without the cluttering black circle added.
Reckon mine will get traded pretty soon.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by albat » 09 Mar 2019, 8:53 pm

No complaints at all for a $730 scope ,another bloke i hunt with as one and rates it highly both on .308w though so not done any spotlighting with it firedot is good in the timber on pigs running
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 10 Mar 2019, 8:41 pm

Having looked at a few scopes in the last year, I think one of the best value higher end scopes is the Meopta Meostar. I think they compare favourably with Swarovski and Zeiss, but are not as expensive. Prices have just gone up unfortunately, but still less than some others. Worth a look anyway, if you are looking to upgrade. The Meopro range is priced similarly to your Leupold, but I have not looked that lineup.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics