Recommended scope for 500m fly with a 308?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Recommended scope for 500m fly with a 308?

Post by Apollo » 16 Mar 2019, 10:46 am

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Like i said mate, that was the 1st time I'd been to a fly match so of course I don't have a target rifle. Still had a lot of fun though

You will have a lot more fun, serious fun if the bug bites and you get hooked on Fly Shooting. As I know, it then gets a bit expensive to keep up with the top shooters. A great bunch of people.

I wish you all the very best with it and please enjoy every minute, even after the match having a yarn.

If you had been going to a match when I was going I would have been able to lend you a Target Rifle to shoot on the day.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 16 Mar 2019, 11:01 am

I realise there is a whole lot of calibers that do it well and you listed a few before, but as far as a good caliber for someone getting into fly goes, what would you recommend?
I was really surprised to see that out of the 13 other guns there, 4 of them were 223's.
I think a good few were 6.5cred
Last edited by Kelsey Cooter on 16 Mar 2019, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 16 Mar 2019, 11:23 am

good to find out what this manbun was all about.I did not want to ask
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Mar 2019, 11:31 am

The 308 used to be a decent caliber for 1000 yards - surely it would suffice to dip a tie in the waters...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Mar 2019, 12:20 pm

Yeah, use what you've got. Upgrade your scope before anything else. The target you posted is a good start considering it was basically shot with a full on hunting rifle.
Benchrest is the Formula 1 of shooting sports, you would be looking around $5k for a basic rifle and the sky is the limit from there. It is the ultimate gear freak sport.
Just put some better optics on the one you've got, try improving your reloading methods, use match quality components and work on your shooting technique and wind/mirage reading ability. If you decide that the sport is for you, have at it, there is some awesome gear out there to be had, or you can just have fun putting in some good results with "basic" gear.
Attending more shoots would be my advice, have a look at what people are using and who is getting the results. There are some really knowledgeable, friendly folks involved in "Fly" shooting who are only too willing to help you out.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 16 Mar 2019, 12:48 pm

"Gamerancher" has some good advice and thinking around the same lines as myself.

I wonder what breed your 308 actually is... ??

I would upgrade the scope for a start like finding a secondhand Nightforce 12-42x mounted on a Pic Rail with elevation built in. Then perhaps depending on what your Action is perhaps just swap the standard stock for a proper 3" wide forend benchrest stock. Then you have to think about whatever front rest you are using. I use a Farley for my main but also have a very modified Caldwell Rock BR with a SEA Joystick Top. Again big dollars.

Nominate and get to the upcoming Mackay Fly Shoot. John McQuire used to shoot a 6.5x47L but from memory was never one of the top contenders, haven't kept up with what he has been doing these past few years but he is certainly keen traveling down to all the southern shoots.

In years gone past they used to publish an Equipment List containing all the info on what everyone was using but that seems to have gone by the wayside even though they still ask for the information when nominating.

The 308 for Light Gun for me would be a bit too much on my damaged spine to shoot all day but others might consider it mild. A calibre really depends on what you are able to organise but always in my mind and what I did and still may build is a straight 6mmBR which doesn't have the problems fireforming wildcat cases and there is a heap of information around on powder / bullet loads. Anthony Hall from Batemans Bay has shot a 6mmBR for many years and for many years he was the one who was winning.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Mar 2019, 3:44 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:I realise there is a whole lot of calibers that do it well and you listed a few before, but as far as a good caliber for someone getting into fly goes, what would you recommend?
I was really surprised to see that out of the 13 other guns there, 4 of them were 223's.
I think a good few were 6.5cred

There are three cases that are highly recommended for midrange Benchrest, they are 6mm BR, 6mm Dasher and 6mm BRX.

But seriously you could have fun with a 223, 300 WSM or whatever you have in the safe that can sling some reasonably heavy pills. You will learn heaps and improve your shooting out of sight. You will need to be pretty resilient as it is hard work and good results can be thin on the ground.

.If an 18x scope is what you have then it is better than a 9x. You might start at 300 metres which is still challenging.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Apr 2019, 3:34 am

The top echelon in the sport - some are shooting contraptions that don’t even resemble firearms - although I’m unsure of the rules around some custom stuff. Some have engineered insane and complicated solutions to problems, the rest of us didn’t know existed.

I’ve previously witnessed a so called local fly legend, with a shooting contraption akin to an engineering marvel, sighting in his “rifle”, move his custom bench rest with a calliper type titanium slide, that holds the rifle exactly where he wants it - with minute and lockable Windage clamps and drop adjustments - not even look through the scope when he pulled the trigger. As someone else said - it can be the ultimate big boys toy brigade or just enjoy it for what it is knowing you are not competing with the $$$ and knowledge already involved...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 17 Apr 2019, 8:33 am

Sounds like a Rail Gun. In Heavy Gun if it's within the Range allowed calibres and you can carry it to the firing line yourself then it's allowed within the rules. Doesn't mean you are going to win though.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Apr 2019, 5:25 pm

Apollo wrote:Sounds like a Rail Gun. In Heavy Gun if it's within the Range allowed calibres and you can carry it to the firing line yourself then it's allowed within the rules. Doesn't mean you are going to win though.

Yes. Think I heard them refer to it as rail - was built on a CNC by the look of it...bloody strange.

What I don’t get - you say, it’s not guaranteed to win, but if some are going to the extent of square, cnc stocks, that can be locked into presses that then handle drop, windage etc via caliber type adjustments - where is the actual skill in shooting the thing??
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 17 Apr 2019, 6:36 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Apollo wrote:Sounds like a Rail Gun. In Heavy Gun if it's within the Range allowed calibres and you can carry it to the firing line yourself then it's allowed within the rules. Doesn't mean you are going to win though.

Yes. Think I heard them refer to it as rail - was built on a CNC by the look of it...bloody strange.

What I don’t get - you say, it’s not guaranteed to win, but if some are going to the extent of square, cnc stocks, that can be locked into presses that then handle drop, windage etc via caliber type adjustments - where is the actual skill in shooting the thing??

Someone a lot of us know is Phil Jones (Redback Precision) and Annie Elliott (BRT) and her once owned Rail Gun. I think it was built by their friend Phil Jones (Gunsmith).

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... UcfIzkWjNZ

I can remember seeing Anthony Hall (Batemans Bay) shooting one similar at a Wagga Wagga (NSW) 500 Metre Fly Shoot but that stopped when the range had to put baffles up in front of the firing line. Rail Gun Scope was too high to be able to see anything as the baffle blocked any view of the target.

You still have to know how to read the wind and mirage then set the dammed thing to where you want to hit before the conditions change which can happen in a split second. From what I've seen not the easiest thing to adjust quick smart on the fly if you can see it. A lot easier using a Joystick Front Rest where you can track any change required quick smart as you have control all the time.

Then again I've seen one guy using a Joystick Rest that once happy with the aim takes his hand off the Joystick, lifts his head and uses just his finger and thumb to shoot his rifle like Free Recoil Method. Then afterwards looks back through the scope to see where the shot hit, if he can see it. Times I have seen this happen he wasn't scoring all that well either so buggered if I know. Each to their own I guess.

In straight Benchrest Shooting as apposed to 500 Metre Fly I think there is a special Class for just Rail Guns. Rail Guns don't interest me one bit, besides they cost a fortune.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Apr 2019, 6:58 pm

I guess it’s like any sport - we are speaking about the extreme end of shooting and with that comes it’s own challenges.
I was going to say it’s not really shooting to me (rail gun) but after reading your post, i can see it would be pretty easy for an old hunter to look at me, spread on a table with bipod and rear bag, saying the same thing so...if it’s got a trigger, I guess I’m all good lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 17 Apr 2019, 8:35 pm

This is an "Unlimited" class 50BMG I photographed at the 2017 World Titles in the U.S of A. The only rule in unlimited class is that the projectile be 50Cal and that's it. This "rifle" despite how it's engineered struggles to shoot any better then a conventional rifle shot off a bipod...As Apollo said, it's not always about having the most expensive kit on the line.
IMG_3403.JPG
IMG_3403.JPG (261.36 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Apr 2019, 8:50 pm

No matter how it shoots it has to be the most magnificent thing on the line. That is plain flash.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Apr 2019, 8:04 am

No matter what it is, it all comes back to "the nut loose on the trigger". :lol:
The most expensive / accurate set up in the world 'aint gunna win anything if the bloke can't use it.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Apr 2019, 8:52 am

Gamerancher wrote:No matter what it is, it all comes back to "the nut loose on the trigger". :lol:
The most expensive / accurate set up in the world 'aint gunna win anything if the bloke can't use it.

But if the unit is 100% set up - and you don’t even have to look at the target when pulling the trigger,
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 18 Apr 2019, 10:18 am

TassieTiger wrote: But if the unit is 100% set up - and you don’t even have to look at the target when pulling the trigger,

As with the beginning of this topic. You will need to see the target you are aiming at and by some means where your bullets are landing.

I doubt the unit would ever be 100% set up. You may get everything set to your liking first thing under ideal conditions but as the day progresses things change and you need to change with them. If you have your POI set when there is no wind or mirage what happens when a breeze comes up and you just pull the trigger. As in the video, you must keep an eye on conditions and either wait for the same conditions or make changes. You only have a set amount of time to complete your relay so you can't wait too long or you will miss out.

Even with a Rail Gun, it still isn't easy to score highly.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics