Kogan rangefinder

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Kogan rangefinder

Post by Stix » 15 Mar 2019, 1:33 pm

Anyone had experience with these Kogan brand rangefinders...?

Only $129 for today only apparently...
I thought it might make a cheap backup or one to carry in harsh conditions etc... :unknown:

Any thoughts or experience...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Kogan rangefinder

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Mar 2019, 1:44 pm

I acquired one of the eBay specials below for $110 - it will not range a klm as advertised but it is good to 700m and has 100% reviews from 18 purchased.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1000M-Teles ... SwolpcNAto
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06 (Dud!!!)
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Tasmania

Post by YoungBuck » 15 Mar 2019, 2:27 pm

Everything I have ever bought from Kogan, I wish I hadn't. Their quality is super low in my books.

TassieTiger wrote:I acquired one of the eBay specials below for $110 - it will not range a klm as advertised but it is good to 700m and has 100% reviews from 18 purchased.

I've also got one of these. I've had mine measure out to about 650m but I've never been able to verify it.
Mine also stops functioning properly when the temp gets above about 32 degrees. Starts reading objects that 50m away as being in the area of 180m... A more expensive unit without a doubt wouldn't do this (or at least would have a much higher tolerance to heat).
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2019, 2:29 pm

I don't recall where I bought mine from (quite likely Kogan though) but it's basically the same unit put out by different companies. No complaints from me. I've been using it for more than four years, and very regularly. Because I don't have a permanent range I have to reshoot the distances when I want to shoot paper and steel and it has proved to have excellent consistency. I have no way of physically measuring any of the longer distances, but they gel very closely with GoogleEarth measurements. The furthest it will range reliably is around 750m, although I haven't really tried to range anything further than that. I especially like the ease of use, it only has two buttons, and no on/off switch. Pull it out of a pocket, look through it, press the button to turn it on, then when the reticle is on your target press the same button again for the range, then put it away and it'll turn itself off within a few seconds. The second button has three modes you cycle through, >150m, reflective surfaces, and rain. It also has an indicator showing how strong the return signal is. I have messed about a bit trying to determine how small the beam is, and have found it is not precisely on the reticle crosshair, so I have to aim very slightly off the target to get a hit on a small target, but it's only maybe 1MoA or so off. It's precise enough to be able to sit at the end of a star picket fence and shoot distances of all of the pickets across the paddock.

Just did a quick Google and it is Kogan - https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/800m-laser-rangefinder/

I also found the manual online - https://assets.kogan.com/files/usermanuals/KALZRRFINDR-A.pdf
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2019, 2:50 pm

I found an undated document that states that Bushnell use(d) a beam that is 4mils high by 2mils wide - 400mm by 200mm at 100m.
http://www.millettsights.com/downloads/Getting_the_Most_Laser_Rangefinders.pdf
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 15 Mar 2019, 4:22 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I acquired one of the eBay specials below for $110 - it will not range a klm as advertised but it is good to 700m and has 100% reviews from 18 purchased.

So the same as a Leopold then
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by BangBangSkeetSkeet » 15 Mar 2019, 4:31 pm

Stix,
don't know about Kogan but i believe Aldi will have them on sale in the next few weeks (they were on sale about this time last year) - Maginon brand for @ $149. i recall one of the other blokes (was it OB?) got one.
My choice is what I choose to do, and if I'm causing no harm why should it bother you?
Your choice is who choose to be, and if you're causing no harm then you're alright with me
BangBangSkeetSkeet
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 15 Mar 2019, 5:02 pm

Got the kogan one it's good on animals to about 400 metres after that it dont work so depends on what you need it for, i dont shoot those ranges so it good for what i want it for
albat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2019, 5:24 pm

BangBangSkeetSkeet wrote:Stix,
don't know about Kogan but i believe Aldi will have them on sale in the next few weeks (they were on sale about this time last year) - Maginon brand for @ $149. i recall one of the other blokes (was it OB?) got one.

Yep i bought one. Use it instead of binos now. Very happy with it. But generaly only use it out to about 300 yards.

I did some rough checks when i got it and seemed fairly accurate.

Hope they sell game cameras again. All reports are very good. I made the mistake of buying a couple of cheapos and not happy with them.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Mar 2019, 5:57 pm

The eBay one also measures speed - fantastic to work out, how fast a farkin lion is running at you !!!
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06 (Dud!!!)
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2019, 6:21 pm

TassieTiger wrote:The eBay one also measures speed - fantastic to work out, how fast a farkin lion is running at you !!!

:lol:
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziad » 15 Mar 2019, 7:39 pm

TassieTiger wrote:The eBay one also measures speed - fantastic to work out, how fast a farkin lion is running at you !!!

You mean a tasman tiger..... as no lions in australia :sarcasm:
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics