Kogan rangefinder

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Kogan rangefinder

Post by Stix » 15 Aug 2019, 10:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:
xDom wrote:Do the cheapies work in the dark?

As long as you can see the target, if you can't see the target then you can't aim at it. The reticle is black so you can't read it against a black background, but it holds the reading for about ten seconds or so to allow you to read it against your hand or the sky.

We've got a full moon just now and it's quite light at night, but I'll try to remember to try aiming it at known structures when it's pitch black and see if it works - I'm sure it will.

Xdom...With a spotlight you can generally see the target, but i struggle to see the reticle & readout...particularly on targets out to the last half of the spotlights effective range...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2019, 10:30 pm

Stix wrote:That video...or the point the guy is trying to impress, makes no sense to me in the average deer hunting situation he is depicting...!!
Its just a suck-in for the guy who's never hunted, & is completely misleading giving a false impression of a hunting scenario...!!

Everything he says is self defeating...

He says constant "clicking" of the button may be heard by a deer, yet suggests if you see one closer to the side you can hold the button to avoid being heard & swing around 90 degrees to get a range on the close one... :lol:

It would be easy for him to range without the need for scanning mode cos id have shot the bloody thing by the time he's finished tugging his finder... :lol:

Fair dinkum...movement will bust you regardless of a click...!!...not to mention, once you've got a range on a deer youve got a range...you dont need to know its now 3 yds closer, then another one yard, then another 3 yds etc etc to send bloody bullet.....:roll:

Seriously, if its that important to have a continual range, at what point do you swap the finder for the rifle... :unknown: :roll:

Load of sales bullsh1t...!!

The only time ive ever wished i had a range on a moving target is a silhouette of fast moving incoming overhead ducks sgainst the sky on a sunny day...but if they continue to fly after the first barrel i know immediately if ive over or undereastimated it...!!

Like i said...load of sales bullsh1t to convince the novice to spend extra..!!! :thumbsdown:

The feature is just there because the technology makes it relatively cheap & easy to add, & thus vastly improve profit...

Agreed, I saw nothing useful in that video at all :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 16 Aug 2019, 8:44 am

Yeah, maybe, but I'd rather have it than not:

Scanning Mode is another great feature that allows you to scan a variety of ranges. If you are hunting an area and want to know the approximate range that animals may enter your area, this feature is indispensable.

https://rangefindertoday.com/best-range ... r-hunting/

The main reason I want scanning mode is, apart from the fact that it allows you to get quick distance on multiple targets, is that I read a hunting book —cannot find it now— where the (expert) hunter says that he absolutely must have it because it eliminates false readings that you can get from a one-reading unit. If you are getting multiple readings all around your quarry, as well as your quarry, you can be very confident of the reading, whereas a point and click reading may be registering off a point in front of (e.g. a tree branch) or behind the target. Also: if you are trying to range find very small prey at long distance it helps, because you can simply get adjacent ranges.

The same thing happens when you're trying to find the range to a golfing hole:
Activate your scan mode and pan the green. This is almost fool-proof. If you don’t get your distance by just panning the course, aim towards the back of the green, especially if there’s trees or bunkers present. Then move the reticle, still in scan mode, to the flagstick and you should be able to get that elusive distance.

https://golftamers.com/guides/golf-rang ... sage-tips/

So golfers love it, which makes it easier to sell on Gumtree when you want to upgrade :) :idea:

Also if your quarry is moving, coming towards you for instance, you can hold the scan mode on it until it reaches the right range. That's much easier than taking multiple (potentially incorrect) readings off a moving target.

Also if you have multiple possible targets, in scan mode you can rapidly get all their ranges and quickly select the best one. This is huge.

So in conclusion, the Kogan unit lacks the scanning mode found on almost all other cheap rangefinders. The scanning mode is not something you want to be without, even though you could get by without it.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2019, 10:25 am

ramshackle wrote:Yeah, maybe, but I'd rather have it than not:

Scanning Mode is another great feature that allows you to scan a variety of ranges. If you are hunting an area and want to know the approximate range that animals may enter your area, this feature is indispensable.

https://rangefindertoday.com/best-range ... r-hunting/

The main reason I want scanning mode is, apart from the fact that it allows you to get quick distance on multiple targets, is that I read a hunting book —cannot find it now— where the (expert) hunter says that he absolutely must have it because it eliminates false readings that you can get from a one-reading unit. If you are getting multiple readings all around your quarry, as well as your quarry, you can be very confident of the reading, whereas a point and click reading may be registering off a point in front of (e.g. a tree branch) or behind the target. Also: if you are trying to range find very small prey at long distance it helps, because you can simply get adjacent ranges.

The same thing happens when you're trying to find the range to a golfing hole:
Activate your scan mode and pan the green. This is almost fool-proof. If you don’t get your distance by just panning the course, aim towards the back of the green, especially if there’s trees or bunkers present. Then move the reticle, still in scan mode, to the flagstick and you should be able to get that elusive distance.

https://golftamers.com/guides/golf-rang ... sage-tips/

So golfers love it, which makes it easier to sell on Gumtree when you want to upgrade :) :idea:

Also if your quarry is moving, coming towards you for instance, you can hold the scan mode on it until it reaches the right range. That's much easier than taking multiple (potentially incorrect) readings off a moving target.

Also if you have multiple possible targets, in scan mode you can rapidly get all their ranges and quickly select the best one. This is huge.

So in conclusion, the Kogan unit lacks the scanning mode found on almost all other cheap rangefinders. The scanning mode is not something you want to be without, even though you could get by without it.

That all sounds like theoretical goodness to me, what rangefinder do you currently use? All you have described is good technique that applies whether you have scan mode or not.

You take readings around your target regardless of whether you press the tit (it's not a switch and makes absolutely no sound at all) each time or just hold it down, you never take a single reading and just assume you were on the target. You can do the same with targets moving toward or away from you, I can't see how scan mode would make any difference. Likewise with a group of targets.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 16 Aug 2019, 10:52 am

bladeracer wrote:That all sounds like theoretical goodness to me, what rangefinder do you currently use?

One with scanning mode.

You take readings around your target regardless of whether you press the tit (it's not a switch and makes absolutely no sound at all) each time or just hold it down, you never take a single reading and just assume you were on the target.

Exactly, you never do, which is why scanning is easier and quicker than clickety-clicking.

Put it up for sale on Gumtree and get a better one, is what I would do. :|
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2019, 11:12 am

ramshackle wrote:
bladeracer wrote:That all sounds like theoretical goodness to me, what rangefinder do you currently use?

One with scanning mode.

You take readings around your target regardless of whether you press the tit (it's not a switch and makes absolutely no sound at all) each time or just hold it down, you never take a single reading and just assume you were on the target.

Exactly, you never do, which is why scanning is easier and quicker than clickety-clicking.

Put it up for sale on Gumtree and get a better one, is what I would do. :|

Which model do you use specifically? I want to check it online myself.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 16 Aug 2019, 12:24 pm

ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 16 Aug 2019, 4:41 pm

the scan mode is pretty useful but some rangefinders only scan one way, the rangefinder needs to scan back and forth so when you are looking say at a spread out mob of deer a deer can be at 250 and another that does not look that much further away is at 350 because that deer is not straight out from you but on an angle
I have had a condor golf rangefinder for years that scans both in and outwards that cost me around $125 at the time when most guys were buying $800 plus hunting rangefinders that did not scan at all, it makes it easy to range a complete paddock before the deer arrive out of the bush to give you an estimate of what distance to zero at I roughly know the size of the paddocks but angles still get me sometimes, this cheap golf rangefinder I've had for so long will range out to over 1000Yds and if I dropped it of a cliff who would care, they can be a useful tool to have :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by cracker » 16 Aug 2019, 9:17 pm

for what its worth friends of mine have kogan t.v.s and split systems... both actually seem really good.
and iv install alot of a/c with a mate... t.v's not so much but goes to say perhaps they are decent.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 16 Aug 2019, 10:00 pm

marksman wrote:the scan mode is pretty useful but some rangefinders only scan one way, the rangefinder needs to scan back and forth so when you are looking say at a spread out mob of deer a deer can be at 250 and another that does not look that much further away is at 350 because that deer is not straight out from you but on an angle
I have had a condor golf rangefinder for years that scans both in and outwards that cost me around $125 at the time when most guys were buying $800 plus hunting rangefinders that did not scan at all, it makes it easy to range a complete paddock before the deer arrive out of the bush to give you an estimate of what distance to zero at I roughly know the size of the paddocks but angles still get me sometimes, this cheap golf rangefinder I've had for so long will range out to over 1000Yds and if I dropped it of a cliff who would care, they can be a useful tool to have :thumbsup:

So what sort of time lag is there with this scanning mode...?...or...how fast can you scan...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by gordicans » 17 Aug 2019, 1:14 am

Aussie youtube guy comparing the Aldi model to a much more expensive Leica, he likes it. It's an excellent channel btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKr9R9eF_hU
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ramshackle » 17 Aug 2019, 6:45 am

Why scanning is useful, this video will start at the right spot: https://youtu.be/wrkzvAF1kzo?t=425
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 17 Aug 2019, 10:47 am

Stix wrote:
marksman wrote:the scan mode is pretty useful but some rangefinders only scan one way, the rangefinder needs to scan back and forth so when you are looking say at a spread out mob of deer a deer can be at 250 and another that does not look that much further away is at 350 because that deer is not straight out from you but on an angle

So what sort of time lag is there with this scanning mode...?...or...how fast can you scan...?

Stix there is no lag, it is as you move it the distances change,
the one I have also has pin acquisition function that's supposed to pick up a golf flag at distance
I've shown mine to a few people who had the more expensive hunting range finders that were amazed at what mine could do and there's couldn't
the more expensive ones were made out of better materials and had better glass l should also say
I cant even find the one I bought anymore, I think its not sold anymore :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JammEEr23 » 09 Oct 2020, 6:03 am

I'm sorry for posting here but is it worth buying this rangefinder? Did you buy it? I want to purchase it but I'm wondering if is there any other variants.
JammEEr23
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by marksman » 09 Oct 2020, 8:10 pm

dont be sorry mate, IMHO these types of rangefinder are worthwhile and cheap so you can buy more bullets :drinks:
some of these cheaper rangefinders have more functions than the more expensive ones
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Oct 2020, 8:55 pm

I have an Aldi. Don't use it a lot but nice and clear, a rough test indicates its fairly accurate. Some times use it instead of bino,'s
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 10 Oct 2020, 7:45 am

I have the Kogan and it works fine.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JammEEr23 » 18 Oct 2020, 5:17 am

I suppose that today you can't buy it for this price, now it costs more expensive, I wanted to buy it, but I didn't like the price, so I used Google in order to find a site where I can buy a rangefinder for myself but I didn't manage to do it. I even asked my parents about it, but they couldn't help me. One day, my friend advised me to use this site:https://www.atncorp.com/range-finder , he said that everything was okay when he bought something there. I decided to purchase from them laserballistics 1000 and I'm pleased with my choice.
Last edited by JammEEr23 on 19 Oct 2020, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
JammEEr23
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Skinna » 18 Oct 2020, 9:13 am

JammEEr23 wrote:I'm sorry for posting here but is it worth buying this rangefinder? Did you buy it? I want to purchase it but I'm wondering if is there any other variants.

G'day JammEEr23,

Yes mate i got it...it works fine--the only thing for me is i cant use it at night as it doesnt have an illuminated reticle & i shoot a fair bit at night & sometimes need to range a fox if the terrain doesnt give me a perspective on its distance.

But id say buy it for sure...!!...its fine for during daylight & a cheap rangefinder is the best way to learn to range distances accurately with your own eye.

Cheers
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics