Illuminated scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Illuminated scope

Post by loadedbore » 30 Mar 2019, 12:45 pm

Hi guys I'm looking at a new scope for my 300wm the Swarovski 2.5-15x44 z6 my question is worth the extra $1000 for the illuminated version Z6i ?
loadedbore
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Illuminated scope

Post by Stix » 30 Mar 2019, 1:15 pm

Wow...a grand eh... :silent:

I love every bit of Z5 or Z6 Swaro optics ive ever looked through, but im not a fan of the illuminated ones ive seen...they appear to be just a dot...ive never shot with them but i lprefer the idea of illuninated lines.

Sorry prob not much help...maybe ask yourself how often you'll take shots in such low light, & then is it worth a grand for those shots... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Mar 2019, 4:52 pm

I am not a fan of illuminated reticles but Nightforce make a SHV with very nice optics and illuminated reticle for $1,400.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Mar 2019, 4:57 pm

Illuminated scopes are where CR2030 battreys go to die.

Personally I forget to either turn mine on or turn it off. So I basically never use my illuminated reticle due to it being flat or forgotten about :lol:

They are definitely a cool novelty item but in my opinion not worth paying that much extra for.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Mar 2019, 5:03 pm

I am with you, mine is always flat in the rare situation that I try to use it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by loadedbore » 30 Mar 2019, 5:10 pm

Thanks guys just saved myself a grand lol
loadedbore
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Mar 2019, 5:57 pm

I'll go against the flow here,,,,,
I have a Zeiss Duralyt,,on one of my go to rifles,,,,, and love it.
The battery has (I think by memory) several thousand hours life due to (a) low power consumption,, and (B) the simple fact that it turns itself off after a period of idle non usage.
Much more than adequate useage time on the battery,,,,,,,,, in fact I've never replaced it yet, and I've had the scope for 5 years.
YEP,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just checked, and it's still going strong.

It has infinite adjustable brightness control and can be used both on a bright sunny day,,,,, and on a dark moonless night at 2 am.

They must've been TOO good, cos they don't make em anymore.
I am always on the lookout for another one.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 30 Mar 2019, 7:37 pm

loadedbore wrote:Thanks guys just saved myself a grand lol

I have a Z6i. I reckon for fast target acquisition it is great. Also, in low light conditions, you can see your target, but often cannot see the crosshairs. Not so with the red dot.

Perhaps cheaper scopes will allow you to not turn it off and get a flat battery, but not the Z6i. It has battery protection built in to it. It is only when the rifle is in a horizontal position ready to fire that the red dot is activated. If you turn the rifle on it side, or raise or lower the muzzle, it switches off. When you bring it back to the ready position it automatically re-activates. It also has a day and night setting, so that you can select your preferred setting for each occasion, and leave it at that. No need to change it each time you turn it on, you simply select day or night and it will be where you left it.

Might make you look taller too. ;)
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 30 Mar 2019, 8:23 pm

I like illuminated scopes
they are great especially for last light looking into a background of bush where the deer have just come out of and you cant see your reticule properly because it blends in with the trees
but what I would say to you is if you can afford it then why not, its better than not getting it and wishing you did
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Mar 2019, 9:27 pm

GQshayne wrote:

Perhaps cheaper scopes will allow you to not turn it off and get a flat battery, but not the Z6i. It has battery protection built in to it.

I just checked a S&B and a Nightfoce BR with illuminated retical and the batteries are both flat so I don't think that it is a feature of cheaper scopes. Perhaps I am crap at turning them off. Both scopes are less than two years old.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by loadedbore » 30 Mar 2019, 11:33 pm

marksman wrote:I like illuminated scopes
they are great especially for last light looking into a background of bush where the deer have just come out of and you cant see your reticule properly because it blends in with the trees
but what I would say to you is if you can afford it then why not, its better than not getting it and wishing you did

True!
loadedbore
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 31 Mar 2019, 3:17 am

That grand looking a little shaky now, eh?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 31 Mar 2019, 7:56 am

Mate I reckon illuminated reticles are a nice touch, although I don’t think they’re worth the extra dollars you pay for them. I could take or leave them.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 01 Apr 2019, 9:06 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
GQshayne wrote:

Perhaps cheaper scopes will allow you to not turn it off and get a flat battery, but not the Z6i. It has battery protection built in to it.

I just checked a S&B and a Nightfoce BR with illuminated retical and the batteries are both flat so I don't think that it is a feature of cheaper scopes. Perhaps I am crap at turning them off. Both scopes are less than two years old.

So do either of your scopes turn themselves off like the Swarovski does?
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics