Would you put a $36 optic on your hunting rifle?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Would you put a $36 optic on your hunting rifle?

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2019, 1:10 pm

straightshooter wrote:They are telling you your scope isn't worth the cost of even a simple repair and they are gambling on the likelihood that very few of these scopes will ever be subjected to robust usage let alone the abuse demonstrated in the video.

They're probably betting on an awful lot of buyers that rarely do any shooting too. For somebody that only shoots a hundred rounds per year it could well last their lifetime. There was a thread on FB last week from a guy that loaded forty rounds of .308 four years ago. He's getting low and needs to reload some of them. A $36 scope that spends its life locked in the safe would likely suit him just fine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 02 Apr 2019, 1:15 pm

he was trying to focus with the parallax , :problem:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Apr 2019, 6:07 pm

Mate the difference in prices is in stuff that you cannot see... the coatings are what make the difference between a good and a great scope. Plus the turrets and internals... if there wasn't a difference between a 2k and a 36 buck scope why would a company like nightforce start.

For hunting a couple hundred rounds a year I am sure a 36 dollar scope might do some people just fine.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2019, 7:13 pm

Ziad wrote:Mate the difference in prices is in stuff that you cannot see... the coatings are what make the difference between a good and a great scope. Plus the turrets and internals... if there wasn't a difference between a 2k and a 36 buck scope why would a company like nightforce start.

For hunting a couple hundred rounds a year I am sure a 36 dollar scope might do some people just fine.

Considering he was pretty impressed with the scope before he torture-tested it, there's no way of knowing if he might not have got a lifetime of use of of it if he'd looked after it like he does his Leopold. Without doing the same test to more expensive scopes there's really no conclusion that can be reached. I have seen similar videos of torture-testing Vortex scopes that they passed just fine though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 02 Apr 2019, 7:46 pm

This is one of my favorite scope torture tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bZZTa8M5wI
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2019, 8:32 pm

The nightforce tests are cool to watch but it’s obvious they are selling something and good on them - who the hell would bother trying to endorse a $36 dollar scope lol
I’d love to send off a scope for repair with nail head marks in the shell...
“It’s Mr Bend Over here calling about yourxwarranty claim?”
“Yes Mr Over, I broke my hammer, googled something, saw a nightforce being used to replicate a hammer - so, if ya don’t mind - I’m not liking the dents in the alloy and a lifetime warranty is a life time warranty - yeah?”
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by flutch » 03 Apr 2019, 10:38 am

bigfellascott wrote:The way I view it is if you are the type of person who sets and forgets (not into f***ing around with the knobs so to speak day in day out) these cheap ones will more than likely do but if you expect a cheap scope to handle being adjusted regularly you will be very disappointed indeed.

yeah obvs a scope like this is not what any self respecting target shooter would use... but as for set and forget, I never take anyone shooting that plays with their turrets, varminting like I do nothing is more infuriating than someone who has spent too long on paper listening to club rhetoric, if you cant pick it up and know where to aim straight up then its not happening. hehe....

I doubt anyone who constantly changes loads and ranges they shoot at would be interested in a cheap scope, but in saying that I wouldnt think they need to spend upwards of 600 bucks either.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Apr 2019, 10:51 am

TassieTiger wrote:How many high end $$$$ scopes could have taken the abuse this guy gave this scope - and have it still shoot?

Ever looked at some of the tests they put the Aimpoint Micro H1 through ?????????

Now they really add creedence to the term "destructive testing" :o :shock:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Archie » 03 Apr 2019, 1:31 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:How many high end $$$$ scopes could have taken the abuse this guy gave this scope - and have it still shoot?

Ever looked at some of the tests they put the Aimpoint Micro H1 through ?????????

Now they really add creedence to the term "destructive testing" :o :shock:

I suppose for military scopes its a different issue, and we've probably all dropped a rifle on occasion. But some of these torture tests, I can't help thinking, if something that bad happens to my rifle, I'm calling it a day and going home.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 04 Apr 2019, 7:39 am

I feel the cheap scopes serve a purpose for the low budget shooter who is aware its a cheap scope and treats it accordingly. I use a cheap BSA scope on my .223 and i know its probably not as robust as a $2k scope so i treat it accordingly.

Cheap scope reviews go over the top sometimes lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXo9BejM84
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 04 Apr 2019, 8:09 am

I can't believe it wasn't even tractor proof...........bloody cheap rubbish :lol: :lol: :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Apr 2019, 8:28 am

JSS wrote:I can't believe it wasn't even tractor proof...........bloody cheap rubbish :lol: :lol: :drinks:

He shot it with a fukn arrow ! It should have been already dead before he found the key to the tractor!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JSS » 04 Apr 2019, 9:38 am

TassieTiger wrote:
JSS wrote:I can't believe it wasn't even tractor proof...........bloody cheap rubbish :lol: :lol: :drinks:

He shot it with a fukn arrow ! It should have been already dead before he found the key to the tractor!

Yeah bloody cheap glass...not even arrow proof :lol:
That was the best scope test so far, it was almost Mythbusters worthy. I think there was also a little bit of a "fvck you" to the scope maker thrown in there for harassing him so much too :lol: :lol:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 06 Apr 2019, 2:54 pm

No No and No..............

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by solarpak » 06 Apr 2019, 3:00 pm

I have seen it time and time again at the range mainly where new shooters have been led up the garden path - by reputable dealers who should know better- and sold them a scope which is more suited to a rimfire than the centre fire its mounted on.

Let me put it bluntly - if a scope offers a Lifetime Warranty - transferrable between owners- with replacement with no questions asked - buy it.

There are a few makes out there that do this and they will be what i recommend to any hunter or shooter who asks me for advice.

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Apr 2019, 4:57 pm

Think swarkovski offers “only” 10 year warranty...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JSS » 06 Apr 2019, 5:26 pm

Leupold is lifetime and doesn't matter how many hands the scope has been through. It's a proper no bullsh!t lifetime warranty. i've seen it in action and was amazed at some of the stuff they've done. I've seen a couple of scopes that were that old they would have been used to hunt dinosaurs and they were just replaced with new equivalent models free of charge because the parts didn't exist anymore to do the "lifetime warranty" repairs.
I don't know of anyone who compares to them.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Apr 2019, 6:48 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Think swarkovski offers “only” 10 year warranty...

My experience with their Service Department has bee better than first class. My Swaro was sent back when it was 20 yo, for a simple fix but they replaced all the innards, no charge. :D :thumbsup:
Cannot say if they will do it again in another 20 but I'll most likely be dead anyway :problem:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by KoalaGrundle » 06 Apr 2019, 7:03 pm

I have a $30 Chinese knock off of a Leupold 3.5-10x40mm mildot on a .22. It'll last as long as it lasts.. and then I'll get a real Leupold!

Also got a $30 Chinese brand 6-24x but it's more like 6-14x

Pays your money you takes your chances, and it's nice to be able to put something functional for cheap on a cheap gun
The first rule of gun safety is to have fun
KoalaGrundle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Apr 2019, 8:03 pm

Modern Chinese scopes are probably better than Japanese scopes from the 80s. I remember some woeful Nikko Stirlings and Tasco from that era.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 13 Apr 2019, 9:10 pm

Modern scopes have come a long way in the last 20 years.....and warranties are now being offered where the consumer is the biggest winner.
Makes like Leupold, Burris, Steiner, Styrka, and probably more offer a replacement warranty on defects and even accidental damage - thats transferable through the life of the scope.
Glass quality coming out of modern plants in China recently has increased to the point that its very close to quality Japanese glass and Euro glass . Chinese made Scopes such as the Hawke and Styrka makes offer excellent scopes built to high quality control - and even the top tier Hawke and Styrka models are around the $1000 price range.

But undoubtedly where quality glass comes in play is when shooting at very long range and in low light - use a premium make like a high-end Nightforce, Vortex, Bushnell, Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, Meopta etc....in these conditions and you will immediately notice the difference.

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Apr 2019, 12:37 am

Well - I have one on the way for poos and laughs.
I intend to ensure it is tested to at least what the original you tube guy did and more...oh so much more lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JSS » 14 Apr 2019, 7:41 am

TassieTiger wrote:Well - I have one on the way for poos and laughs.
I intend to ensure it is tested to at least what the original you tube guy did and more...oh so much more lol

So you're saying you also have a tractor and some arrows on the way :thumbsup: I'll send you down a couple of sticks of dynamite.....If it's not dynamite proof it's just no good :wtf: :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 14 Apr 2019, 8:55 am

I remember when I was looking for a spotting scope for the range. I checked out this x 60 $165 model, Celestion, I think?
After that I tried a x 40 Kowa, costing $400.
The difference was remarkable. The cheapie was no where near as clear as the Kowa, which I ended up buying.
I’m guessing it comes down to the quality of the glass.
Wouldn’t scopes be the same?
I’m not suggesting spending $ thousands but I wouldn’t think a sub $50 scope to be much chop?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Apr 2019, 9:36 am

JSS wrote:

So you're saying you also have a tractor and some arrows on the way :thumbsup: I'll send you down a couple of sticks of dynamite.....If it's not dynamite proof it's just no good :wtf: :drinks:

Don’t have a tractor but I’ve got a borrowed 5t excavator that should leave a scratch.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JSS » 14 Apr 2019, 10:22 am

TassieTiger wrote:
JSS wrote:

Don’t have a tractor but I’ve got a borrowed 5t excavator that should leave a scratch.

That'll work just fine.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Apr 2019, 12:09 pm

Don't drive over it... the tracks spread the load around. Use the bucket and try and smash it or crush it on.concrete or your container roofs
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by elnino » 17 Apr 2019, 11:18 pm

I used to work for Carl Zeiss and I can tell you that although the optics in the better scopes are better it's not in line with price. A top of the line scope still only contains a few $ of lenses. Build quality, lens coatings and precision is where its at but still amazingly inflated pricing.

Having said that, I have a 'Tasco' 3-9×40 that i paid about $40 for ex China about 10 years ago and it is quite acceptable in terms of adjustments and holding center. Many cheap eBay scopes will not adjust properly on each plane (they interact) so it is a gamble.
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Apr 2019, 6:54 am

elnino wrote:I used to work for Carl Zeiss and I can tell you that although the optics in the better scopes are better it's not in line with price. A top of the line scope still only contains a few $ of lenses. Build quality, lens coatings and precision is where its at but still amazingly inflated pricing.

Having said that, I have a 'Tasco' 3-9×40 that i paid about $40 for ex China about 10 years ago and it is quite acceptable in terms of adjustments and holding center. Many cheap eBay scopes will not adjust properly on each plane (they interact) so it is a gamble.

Do you mean that they don't tend to maintain a consistent zero through the magnification range?
I haven't seen any measurable change over normal hunting ranges but it could potentially be a problem at long ranges perhaps.

I just bought a $30 3-9x40 scope so I might try it at 100m by shooting a ten-shot group at 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9-power and see if there's any measurable wander in the zero.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by elnino » 18 Apr 2019, 7:14 am

no, I mean as you adjust elevation, windage is affected and/or vice versa. makes it basically impossible to sight it in.
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics