de-mounting.

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

de-mounting.

Post by Arctic » 01 Apr 2019, 10:30 pm

Hi all,
had a search but couldn't find an answer so I'll throw it out there..thoughts on sharing a scope between rifles and de-mounting for storage purposes?
Cheers,
Mark.
Arctic
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: de-mounting.

Post by Stix » 01 Apr 2019, 10:51 pm

Ok for target shooting where you'll only need a couple of shots to zero.

But no good if you cant check it before going on a hunt.

Every time ive ever driven on to a farm without a scoped in rifle, there's a fox in the paddock just out of 'not scoped in range'.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 01 Apr 2019, 11:20 pm

Arctic wrote:Hi all,
had a search but couldn't find an answer so I'll throw it out there..thoughts on sharing a scope between rifles and de-mounting for storage purposes?
Cheers,
Mark.

Sharing is not really viable, but not impossible. You can zero for one rifle and record where you need to set the turrets when you put it on the other. But even if you know it holds zero, you'd still want to confirm zero before shooting at live targets. You would also want to have identical rails on both rifles so the rings fit both. I haven't had any problems maintaining zero using cheap Chinese QD mounts.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Arctic » 01 Apr 2019, 11:52 pm

Does the rail measurement depend on calibre or is it a metric/imperial thing.. or different between manufacturers?
As a beginner I'm probably going to be putting in a bit of time at the range, so zeroing in will be a given.
Perhaps I should of put that in my question,apologies.
Arctic
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2019, 12:50 pm

Arctic wrote:Does the rail measurement depend on calibre or is it a metric/imperial thing.. or different between manufacturers?
As a beginner I'm probably going to be putting in a bit of time at the range, so zeroing in will be a given.
Perhaps I should of put that in my question,apologies.

It varies among manufacturers. My Ruger rails have the grooves spaced differently to my Weavers and Chinese pic rails. If you're using dovetails on .22's you might be okay with swapping, I haven't tried that myself. If you use two short rails rather than one long one you'll probably have the same problem with getting the slots to line up.
An alternative, though slightly more costly, would be to use an adjustable mount on one rifle. Zero the scope on one rifle, then mount it on the second rifle and see where it shoots, then adjust the mount instead of the turrets until you have it zeroed on that rifle. It should then hold the same zero on both rifles, in theory, I haven't tried this either. Adjustable rings or mount are also good fun if you decide you want to try some long-range .22LR shooting as it allows you to cant the scope.

Which specific rifles do you have in mind for using the one scope?
Last edited by bladeracer on 03 Apr 2019, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 02 Apr 2019, 1:38 pm

I guess it is possible mate, albeit with a fair bit of arse pain to go with it.
If that’s your only option then yes give it a go, however, I think you will grow tired of swapping and start saving for an additional optic. Well I know I would.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Arctic » 02 Apr 2019, 5:56 pm

A .223 will be my first rifle the next will probably be a .22.
It does sound like a bit too much trouble I was thinking it might be a bit easier than it sounds.
It isn't the only option I have,what prompted the question is the fact I have a 3 gun safe and I've read on the forum that I maybe pushing it to even fit two rifles/scopes in it.
I have the idea that 3 guns will be a good mix for what I want to do,that's where the idea of de-mounting came in to fit them all in the safe.
Guess I could go with the .22 with open sights,then worry about the third when I've saved up enough to buy it and maybe upgrade the safe.
Thanks for your input though, I will have a look at the things Blade has suggested ,some of the mounts I've never even heard of :unknown:
Cheers guys.
Mark.
Arctic
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2019, 6:08 pm

Arctic wrote:A .223 will be my first rifle the next will probably be a .22.
It does sound like a bit too much trouble I was thinking it might be a bit easier than it sounds.
It isn't the only option I have,what prompted the question is the fact I have a 3 gun safe and I've read on the forum that I maybe pushing it to even fit two rifles/scopes in it.
I have the idea that 3 guns will be a good mix for what I want to do,that's where the idea of de-mounting came in to fit them all in the safe.
Guess I could go with the .22 with open sights,then worry about the third when I've saved up enough to buy it and maybe upgrade the safe.
Thanks for your input though, I will have a look at the things Blade has suggested ,some of the mounts I've never even heard of :unknown:
Cheers guys.
Mark.

If you use QD rings you can remove the scope for storing.
I use these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-Release-QD-30mm-25-4mm-Scope-Ring-Mount-Adapter-fit-20mm-Picatinny-Rail/181971374172
They have an advantage in that you can separate them and put shims between the base and the ring to cant the scope. Shims can bend and twist a scope, so it's not the best way, but it can be done.
This is the cheapest option I've found for putting cant into a scope on a dovetailed receiver https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ohhunt-1-30mm-High-Profile-Windage-Elevation-Fully-Adjustable-Scope-Mount-Ring/142711507063 I'm using one on a Ruger American at the moment and it seems to work just fine on the .22LR at least. It has two screws under one end, and pivots at the other end. Screw one in to increase the cant to where you want it, then tighten the second screw to pull it down tight against the positioning screw. Very simple, but you need to remove it from the receiver to adjust it.
Attachments
QD rings.jpg
QD rings.jpg (143.72 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
adjustable mount.jpg
adjustable mount.jpg (87.22 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 02 Apr 2019, 6:41 pm

If you get quality rails made to the standards they will be same. That was the whole idea of the Pic rail which the standard has been updated on and is now based on the top flats rather than the bottoms as that tested and proved to be a more reliable mounting. But the spacing, of the top flat and the bottom groves are all specified as are the spacing distances. It is a multinational standard so that allied forces can share equipment in emergencies.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2019, 7:10 pm

sungazer wrote:If you get quality rails made to the standards they will be same. That was the whole idea of the Pic rail which the standard has been updated on and is now based on the top flats rather than the bottoms as that tested and proved to be a more reliable mounting. But the spacing, of the top flat and the bottom groves are all specified as are the spacing distances. It is a multinational standard so that allied forces can share equipment in emergencies.

Yes. military pic rails will be consistent. Ruger and Weaver don't follow the mil-spec, either not having all the grooves, or having them at random spacings.
Attachments
Ruger Predator.jpg
Ruger Predator.jpg (74.8 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Arctic » 02 Apr 2019, 8:31 pm

Those mounts look good..I'll have to wait till I get the rifle as it is coming with a scope but I don't know what brand/size or what mountings it will have.
Then I can measure things and make sure I buy the right size,thanks for the link they are a lot cheaper than I thought they'd be and I think they are the solution to de-mounting for storage.
I won't worry about the sharing idea it was just a thought really.
Cheers,
Mark.
Arctic
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 02 Apr 2019, 8:38 pm

Arctic wrote:Those mounts look good..I'll have to wait till I get the rifle as it is coming with a scope but I don't know what brand/size or what mountings it will have.
Then I can measure things and make sure I buy the right size,thanks for the link they are a lot cheaper than I thought they'd be and I think they are the solution to de-mounting for storage.
I won't worry about the sharing idea it was just a thought really.
Cheers,
Mark.

Lots of price snobs will tell you the rings are garbage because they're cheap, but they work fine for me on all my rifles. I have another one-piece adjustable mount that was well over $100 but I'm hoping these cheaper ones will do as good a job on the .22's for a quarter of the price.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 02 Apr 2019, 10:22 pm

one thing you can do in your safe store pointing up one pointing down will give you a bit more room
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Arctic » 03 Apr 2019, 9:27 pm

Pomaxe,I could see how that could create room,and appreciate your suggestion but for some reason it just sounds 'wrong'.
Whilst I know in a hypothetical if the gun is unloaded,bolt removed,empty chamber indicator present it should be 'safe' I have a gas line running under the floor-boards
and having 'assumed' that it is about 4' away (guestimate) so because my cousin's name is "murphy" I'd be likely to come home tired and after the earth shattering kaboom...
I'd also be worried about crown damage given that this is an old place and any movement in one room has a positive (and equal?) reaction in another room.
Granted an end cap or such could stop the wear though and I thank you for your suggestion but I would also like to pose the question of whether this is an accepted method of storage?
At the moment I'm going with the QD mounts as the best option but am glad of out of the square ideas so cheers.
Cheers guys Mark.
Arctic
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 Apr 2019, 9:56 pm

Arctic wrote:Pomaxe,I could see how that could create room,and appreciate your suggestion but for some reason it just sounds 'wrong'.
Whilst I know in a hypothetical if the gun is unloaded,bolt removed,empty chamber indicator present it should be 'safe' I have a gas line running under the floor-boards
and having 'assumed' that it is about 4' away (guestimate) so because my cousin's name is "murphy" I'd be likely to come home tired and after the earth shattering kaboom...
I'd also be worried about crown damage given that this is an old place and any movement in one room has a positive (and equal?) reaction in another room.
Granted an end cap or such could stop the wear though and I thank you for your suggestion but I would also like to pose the question of whether this is an accepted method of storage?
At the moment I'm going with the QD mounts as the best option but am glad of out of the square ideas so cheers.
Cheers guys Mark.

Half of mine are muzzle-down, bolts and mags in them. Also prevents fluids from running out of the barrels into the actions. Put a high-density foam mat in the bottom of the safe. If you have threaded muzzles you can fit cheap brakes or flash hiders to protect the muzzles in the field as well as the safe.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Arctic » 03 Apr 2019, 10:10 pm

Cheers for that,just never heard of it being done before.
If it doesn't make any difference that's a plan B,although I will get under the floor and make sure the gas line is where I think it is..probably held up by termites in this place lol.
Arctic
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2019, 11:17 am

I store mine upside down only way they all fit
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 04 Apr 2019, 12:13 pm

Hmm I been thinking about that as currently Its hard to fit all my rifles.

Slight change but anyone have link to cheap bubble can't levels for picatinny results. I got some from Ebay and the bubbles are not really level
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Apr 2019, 12:23 pm

Ziad wrote:Hmm I been thinking about that as currently Its hard to fit all my rifles.

Slight change but anyone have link to cheap bubble can't levels for picatinny results. I got some from Ebay and the bubbles are not really level

How can they not be level? You make sure your reticle is plumb (hang a string and align the verticle with it, then set up the bubble to be level. I have a few different styles.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 04 Apr 2019, 4:06 pm

If the tubes are not consistent in either being straight or curved and even ID they can give miss leading results. I have found not all bubble levels are created equally. not just in accuracy but sensitivity.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 04 Apr 2019, 10:33 pm

Well the el cheapo ones I got don't have an insert like my rings so they don't actually lock into the rails. Secondly when i tighten the Allen bolt on the side three side actually moves imbalanced and there is a gap at the top.

But lastly two different guns with a Bunning good quality level, with the Ebay picatinny tail bubble is not level, so the tube is out
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Apr 2019, 3:07 am

I bought one of these to check scope alignment - if you have evena very small flat surface(scope turret cap), it works extremely well.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Ang ... SwXYtYymDP
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2019, 4:03 pm

Ziad wrote:Well the el cheapo ones I got don't have an insert like my rings so they don't actually lock into the rails. Secondly when i tighten the Allen bolt on the side three side actually moves imbalanced and there is a gap at the top.

But lastly two different guns with a Bunning good quality level, with the Ebay picatinny tail bubble is not level, so the tube is out

Why would you want the level to lock to the rails?
Yes, it can take some fiddling to keep it set while tightening the screws.
I have two here on my desk, the cheaper one has no adjustment that I can see, the more expensive one has an adjuster so you can set it level after installation.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics