Entry level Night Vision

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Entry level Night Vision

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Oct 2019, 6:42 pm

I have seen a mates ATN and if that is any indication of what they can produce then avoid them like the plague. What a piece of junk.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 30 Oct 2019, 7:05 pm

xDom wrote:I’m thinking about spending some coin on a night vision Monocular.
I’ve been doing some reading and I’ve been looking at some Yukon/Pulsar units for about $650.
What sort of quality would you expect for that?
I did some reading on earlier threads where posters were asking about NV scopes. The responses were along the lines of , if you’re not gonna spend megabucks then it’s only gonna be gimicky gear that’s of little use.
Is this the same with monoculars?
Note, I am stearing clear on the Aldi/EBay $150 specials!

Just picked up a bushnell equinox z monocular for $400. Awesome.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by niteowl » 04 Sep 2020, 3:14 pm

I realize this is a really old thread, but don't get caught with entry level gear.
We run "workshops" for teaching people and Govt departments about the various types of "night vision" and the after a PP and discussion session we then show people the actual equipment.

Starting with basic stuff that is really only toys, which impresses people who have never used anything before. The comments are "Fantastic, this is great I can see things".

Then go to Gen 3 Mil spec, which blows them away. (Gen 2 is not worth the extra cost for the small increase in performance).

Great you think, then go to commercial grade thermal. The stunned comments can't really be printed here, it is FAR ahead of Mil Gen 3.
From there we go to Military thermal. I DO realize that Military thermal is way out of reach for more than a fortunate few, but it shows what can be achieved.

A few things need to be clarified here, one, digital has problems as it needs a truck load of IR to make it workable at more than a hundred meters especially when there is no moonlight, BUT nocturnal animals CAN see IR, even 940 nm covert IR. As well as the red light that is very visible to all, especially when the power level gets up with lower frequency IR illuminators. After a while animals get wary just like when you are using a spotlight, it works for a while. Gen 3 Image intensifying is better but still needs light of some kind, IR or visible AND a high contrast target even though the resolution is good.
There is also a lot of confusion, some people refer to IR night vision. IR night vision is thermal only, as it detects IR ONLY. You have all heard of FLIR, Forward Looking Infrared!
Image intensifying and digital will see various wave lengths of IR and visible light.

When we have concluded a workshop, the opinion is that people do not want entry level any more, and prefer to save and not waste precious money on poor equipment that seemed so good because they did not know what was available.

My apologies to all I have offended, but I / we have been through ALL the versions and types over time and believe I can give an unbiased view on them all.
As a contractor for over about 55 years, and "NV" user for 14, now use nothing but thermal, except at specific times, due to a special situation where I need to see through glass, I will use a Gen 3 monocular for observation only.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2020, 3:33 pm

niteowl wrote:I realize this is a really old thread, but don't get caught with entry level gear.
We run "workshops" for teaching people and Govt departments about the various types of "night vision" and the after a PP and discussion session we then show people the actual equipment.

Starting with basic stuff that is really only toys, which impresses people who have never used anything before. The comments are "Fantastic, this is great I can see things".

Then go to Gen 3 Mil spec, which blows them away. (Gen 2 is not worth the extra cost for the small increase in performance).

Great you think, then go to commercial grade thermal. The stunned comments can't really be printed here, it is FAR ahead of Mil Gen 3.
From there we go to Military thermal. I DO realize that Military thermal is way out of reach for more than a fortunate few, but it shows what can be achieved.

A few things need to be clarified here, one, digital has problems as it needs a truck load of IR to make it workable at more than a hundred meters especially when there is no moonlight, BUT nocturnal animals CAN see IR, even 940 nm covert IR. As well as the red light that is very visible to all, especially when the power level gets up with lower frequency IR illuminators. After a while animals get wary just like when you are using a spotlight, it works for a while. Gen 3 Image intensifying is better but still needs light of some kind, IR or visible AND a high contrast target even though the resolution is good.
There is also a lot of confusion, some people refer to IR night vision. IR night vision is thermal only, as it detects IR ONLY. You have all heard of FLIR, Forward Looking Infrared!
Image intensifying and digital will see various wave lengths of IR and visible light.

When we have concluded a workshop, the opinion is that people do not want entry level any more, and prefer to save and not waste precious money on poor equipment that seemed so good because they did not know what was available.

My apologies to all I have offended, but I / we have been through ALL the versions and types over time and believe I can give an unbiased view on them all.
As a contractor for over about 55 years, and "NV" user for 14, now use nothing but thermal, except at specific times, due to a special situation where I need to see through glass, I will use a Gen 3 monocular for observation only.

Depends on your purpose, you don't need to spend $10K+ on a thermal scope if you're just shooting rats around the sheds, or the occasional fox coming around the house.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 04 Sep 2020, 4:30 pm

No you don't need to for just that, but most people don't want stay there once they have a taste of it. And no you don't need to go to 10K as you say but 2K will get you a toy.
It need to be pointed out that sooo many people get sucked in because they have not had a chance to see anything else and feel that first impression of actually seeing in the dark for the first time is stunning.
Sorry if you do not like newcomers to the forum that may know something??
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2020, 4:33 pm

niteowl wrote:No you don't need to for just that, but most people don't want stay there once they have a taste of it. And no you don't need to go to 10K as you say but 2K will get you a toy.
It need to be pointed out that sooo many people get sucked in because they have not had a chance to see anything else and feel that first impression of actually seeing in the dark for the first time is stunning.
Sorry if you do not like newcomers to the forum that may know something??

I agree with the quality of the higher-end gear, but few shooters have any need for that stuff.
I don't understand your last comment, did I say something that upset you?
I don't mind anybody coming in and offering people advice, that's what forums are for.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 04 Sep 2020, 4:35 pm

The first line of my last post should explain what I am saying
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Sep 2020, 11:24 pm

niteowl wrote:The first line of my last post should explain what I am saying

After viewing a small range of thermals (upwards of $7k) and Several night vision monoculars and dedicated night scopes that ranged up to $3k, I settled on a $800 pard...I could afford the better equipment but I couldn’t justify the extra expense so - everything You’ve said is not only subjective but also based individual circumstance.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wanneroo » 05 Sep 2020, 3:54 am

TassieTiger wrote:
niteowl wrote:The first line of my last post should explain what I am saying

After viewing a small range of thermals (upwards of $7k) and Several night vision monoculars and dedicated night scopes that ranged up to $3k, I settled on a $800 pard...I could afford the better equipment but I couldn’t justify the extra expense so - everything You’ve said is not only subjective but also based individual circumstance.

Agreed, it all depends on a number of factors and your uses. I personally prefer Gen 3+ white phosphor lenses in a PVS 14 and that's what I plan on purchasing. Wouldn't mind PVS-31s that I have used with the military but the price on that is too much. I have used some that you could switch between thermal and NV but now they have ones that can blend the image and I would like to try those. Yeah if the PARD works for folks and it gets it done, good. A lot of the cheaper digital stuff will work for the civilian world. For the government types, digital is a battery hog and is still a big bulky, so that's why the military still uses a lot of analog optics.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by mchughcb » 05 Sep 2020, 10:34 pm

niteowl wrote:I realize this is a really old thread, but don't get caught with entry level gear.

I love get the intel from people in the know. The pros you know. What nocturnal animals can see 940nm IR?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Tilb004 » 05 Sep 2020, 11:45 pm

xDom wrote:I’ve seen a second hand FLIR thermal on EBay. How do you go about using it on the field?
Bladeracer in his post before mentioned the issue of looking at a bright screen then your eyes adjusting back when you look away from the device.
I’ve read other reports in the internet, people saying the same thing.
I guess ideally you need thermal monocular and a thermal scope! $$!

Hi xDom

I have a nighttech hd 25 thermal monocular and it works great for a base model . Have seen foxes running across a field at over 250m .
I paid $1600 but i think they are more like $2000 now days .Not sure how it compares to the flir ive never had a look through one .
As far as NV goes the pard 007 is probably the best value even know i got rid of mine cos the poi was too great from day to night .
Ill explain , i would zero my day scope then attach the 007 and it would be an inch difference at 50 meters .
In saying that people have had a lot of success with them .
I was using it on a night force shv scope , picture was great but poi was shocking .
The other scope i mounted it on was a stryka 4-14 x 44 and it is spot on so its the scope that it goes on .

For the money the pard 007 is the cheapest good NV in my opinion and for what you want to do its perfect ..
If you want some footage of the pard 007 private message me and ill do what i can to get it to you .
I would send you vid of the night tech thermal monocular but it doesnt record .
For the record i have a pard 008 LRF now and its great.

Just my honest opinion , lot more experienced people than me on this forum , your bound to get pointed in the right direction .

all the best mate . :thumbsup:
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by niteowl » 06 Sep 2020, 12:25 am

All nocturnal animals.
They have evolved over 100s / 1000s of years as the night "light" consists of a large percentage of natural IR in many wave lengths.
This means those that naturally use the night, not ones that have become "nocturnal" because of hunting pressure. Although they cannot be completely ruled out either.
OK you say, "they will not react to IR then". That natural IR that is an "overall light" is not the same as shining an IR illuminator at them.
When you go digital and therefore need IR to make them workable to a degree, what will happen is those animals will see it when it is used like a spotlight.
For a while it will be similar to the old days when we used a spotlight, you get a lot until they get wary of the light. IR usually takes a bit longer as it is not running the same power levels and therefore intensity as a spotlight.
After they get to that point most people feel that they have "got rid of the problem". Go to thermal and you will see the ones you assumed did not exist.

One way of getting some info on this, is to get a genuine covert camera (some poorer ones still emit a low visible glow) that is genuinely silent and put it high in a tree looking down at a bait. Set it to take multiple shots or video.
A fox for instance, will approach the bait looking down at it in the first image and then all the others looking straight up at the camera. Otherwise get hold of a genuine 940 covert illuminator and watch them react as you sweep it across them. Most so called 940 nm covert illuminators still emit a small amount of visible red light.
I do admit that I do not know how low (lower frequency, longer wave length) they can see, I do know 940 nm is visible to them.

PS. Just rereading my post I should have said "Higher frequency" not lower, when referring to the visible red light from the high power IR illuminators. ie Shorter wave length, 805 - 850 nm.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 06 Sep 2020, 12:57 am

Thanks i just wanted to know which animals and the ones I need to shoot. You only mentioned foxes so I assume you know that foxes can see a genuine 940nm IR and you base this on 940 nm game cameras?

Do you have any scientific papers that you reference when people question you about whether animals can see 940nm IR?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 06 Sep 2020, 1:04 am

For example this paper recommends above 940nm.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... stelo_furo
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 06 Sep 2020, 8:09 am

I pointed my bushmaster at a fox ... scope was a NV with an 850 nm illuminator....instantly the fox took off
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 06 Sep 2020, 10:58 am

You don't need to experiment with this phenomenon - you can see it yourself if you let your night vision develop sufficiently.

I've been in situations where even from a few hundred metres, and very clearly under 100m, you can see IR illuminators with your naked eye on a dark night. Its like a red glowing coal, or a dim red traffic light.

Now imagine youre an animal with highly developed night vsion, evolved over tens or hundreds or thousands of years so you can hunt prey or see predators at night.

That dim red glow becomes much more visible and eye catching... whats going for us is that they don't associate it with being shot at... yet!

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by mchughcb » 06 Sep 2020, 11:49 am

Well in my experience foxes, deer, cats, rabbits, hares, wallbies, wild dogs, kangaroos, wombats, ducks are not disturbed by 940nm. So if you truly believe they can see at the 940nm range then in my experience they are not disturbed by it.

On the other hand 850nm from an IR like a Laserluchs 5000 in my experience they will see right away and start running.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 06 Sep 2020, 11:50 am

boingk wrote:You don't need to experiment with this phenomenon - you can see it yourself if you let your night vision develop sufficiently.

I've been in situations where even from a few hundred metres, and very clearly under 100m, you can see IR illuminators with your naked eye on a dark night. Its like a red glowing coal, or a dim red traffic light.

Now imagine youre an animal with highly developed night vsion, evolved over tens or hundreds or thousands of years so you can hunt prey or see predators at night.

That dim red glow becomes much more visible and eye catching... whats going for us is that they don't associate it with being shot at... yet!

- boingk

You won't see 940nm. You will see a faint glow of red with a 850nm.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 06 Sep 2020, 1:04 pm

mchughcb wrote:Thanks i just wanted to know which animals and the ones I need to shoot. You only mentioned foxes so I assume you know that foxes can see a genuine 940nm IR and you base this on 940 nm game cameras?

Do you have any scientific papers that you reference when people question you about whether animals can see 940nm IR?

Foxes used as the most common nocturnal animal pursued by most, we have a feeling that dogs / wild dogs can also see this as well, but nothing definite, 940 or otherwise. This came about at a wild dog workshop for a group of doggers I was asked to do a presentation for, one dogger had suspicions only, that they could see the IR he was using.

No scientific stuff, just practical observations. Most of our contract work is for the Govt and we use equipment that is designed for high end use.

Not all cameras, we have had the mentioned responses with most models and also genuine high spec 940 nm. which has NO trace of a red light at all.

A slight deviation from the above. I spent an night session with a licenced pest controller who had a Gen 2 scope that he did not like the performance of (not surprised as Gen 2 is not worth the effort or money) and he was using a high powered IR with it. He went to a 100 m point to set up his "fox target" and when he turned to come back he uttered some coarse language when he saw the INTENSE red light. Nothing to do with IR, but just what was emitted from the illuminator. He had never actually looked back from the target direction and was not aware how bright it was!! (not 940 nm) When you use these things you have the effect of the visible light as well as the IR.
Like I have said 940 nm will get you by longer, but the IR has proved to be visible, scientific or otherwise.

I think somebody said that a fox would not associate the light with being "shot at", fine but unless they have been winged when using a spotlight they would not associated that either but they do get wary when an unnatural light hits them.

This is not intended to start arguments but to point out shortcomings of using "night vision" that requires a light of some kind. My whole thing is that thermal overcome all the problem.
It does not require the level of thermal that we use, any thermal that will provide good resolution and be reliable will do the job.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 06 Sep 2020, 2:40 pm

Hmm, well that's interesting because as a non "pro" I have to keep coming back to your experience with a 940nm and digital NV experience on nocturnal animals that are under extreme hunting pressure. You say it is proved scientific or otherwise and I say could you please provide some scientific paper or a video at least where the wild dog was observed with and without the 940nm IR and you can see the second you turned it on they got spooked and hightailed it?

Feel free to post anything supporting your point of view.

I can show you three wild dogs that have been hunted for some time that I was able to video with 940nm that didn't hightail it and I was still filming them for 1 hour from a blind..
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 06 Sep 2020, 4:35 pm

mchughcb wrote:Hmm, well that's interesting because as a non "pro" I have to keep coming back to your experience with a 940nm and digital NV experience on nocturnal animals that are under extreme hunting pressure. You say it is proved scientific or otherwise and I say could you please provide some scientific paper or a video at least where the wild dog was observed with and without the 940nm IR and you can see the second you turned it on they got spooked and hightailed it?

Feel free to post anything supporting your point of view.

I can show you three wild dogs that have been hunted for some time that I was able to video with 940nm that didn't hightail it and I was still filming them for 1 hour from a blind..
niteowl wrote:
mchughcb wrote:Thanks i just wanted to know which animals and the ones I need to shoot. You only mentioned foxes so I assume you know that foxes can see a genuine 940nm IR and you base this on 940 nm game cameras?

Foxes used as the most common nocturnal animal pursued by most, we have a feeling that dogs / wild dogs can also see this as well, but nothing definite, 940 or otherwise. This came about at a wild dog workshop for a group of doggers I was asked to do a presentation for, one dogger had suspicions only, that they could see the IR he was using.

No scientific stuff, just practical observations. Most of our contract work is for the Govt and we use equipment that is designed for high end use.

Not all cameras, we have had the mentioned responses with most models and also genuine high spec 940 nm. which has NO trace of a red light at all.

A slight deviation from the above. I spent an night session with a licenced pest controller who had a Gen 2 scope that he did not like the performance of (not surprised as Gen 2 is not worth the effort or money) and he was using a high powered IR with it. He went to a 100 m point to set up his "fox target" and when he turned to come back he uttered some coarse language when he saw the INTENSE red light. Nothing to do with IR, but just what was emitted from the illuminator. He had never actually looked back from the target direction and was not aware how bright it was!! (not 940 nm) When you use these things you have the effect of the visible light as well as the IR.
Like I have said 940 nm will get you by longer, but the IR has proved to be visible, scientific or otherwise.

I think somebody said that a fox would not associate the light with being "shot at", fine but unless they have been winged when using a spotlight they would not associated that either but they do get wary when an unnatural light hits them.

This is not intended to start arguments but to point out shortcomings of using "night vision" that requires a light of some kind. My whole thing is that thermal overcome all the problem.
It does not require the level of thermal that we use, any thermal that will provide good resolution and be reliable will do the job.

I guess I should have made the statement "scientific or otherwise" a bit clearer, it does not say proven scientifically, it means either way.

Feel free to re read my post and the parts high lighted!

Wild dogs, OK, no problem, as I said I "had a feeling" about dogs, I DID NOT say they could see IR of any wave length 940 or otherwise.
Dogs are not genuine nocturnal animals.
If you could film dogs that had been "hunted hard" why didn't you take them out?

Lets not get into an argument, I was making some comments about IR and nocturnal animals and the effects based on some years of experience and observations, NOT scientific, from using all forms of "NV". When we started using NV it was old Russian Gen 1, then digital, with and without IR and on to commercial thermal, Military Gen 3 and Military thermal, which I would NOT expect the average user to even contemplate buying (although some have) due to the expense alone.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 06 Sep 2020, 5:13 pm

Not sure why you seem to qualify everything with the "I don't want to start an argument" .I completely disagree with your statement about 940nm IR I have hunted with digital nightvision and thermal for almost a decade and whilst animals can definitely see the 790nm, 850nm they don't respond at all to a high quality 940nm. You have your experience using 4K digital night vision with a 940nm illuminator and I have mine. The hundreds of animals I've shot with the digital night vision none of them have ever been spooked by the 940nm torch, but they have been spooked by noise, scent or my outline.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 06 Sep 2020, 5:20 pm

mchughcb wrote:Not sure why you seem to qualify everything with the "I don't want to start an argument" .I completely disagree with your statement about 940nm IR I have hunted with digital nightvision and thermal for almost a decade and whilst animals can definitely see the 790nm, 850nm they don't respond at all to a high quality 940nm. You have your experience using 4K digital night vision with a 940nm illuminator and I have mine. The hundreds of animals I've shot with the digital night vision none of them have ever been spooked by the 940nm torch, but they have been spooked by noise, scent or my outline.

No problem, not arguing just stating my observations as you are
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Fionn » 06 Sep 2020, 5:56 pm

niteowl wrote:Wild dogs, OK, no problem, as I said I "had a feeling" about dogs, I DID NOT say they could see IR of any wave length 940 or otherwise.
Dogs are not genuine nocturnal animals.

Lets not get into an argument, I was making some comments about IR and nocturnal animals and the effects based on some years of experience and observations, NOT scientific

No mammal nocturnal or otherwise can see IR 940 nm*, that is scientific fact, not based on "feelings" or anecdotal evidence.

The observations you are seeing is not due to mammals seeing the IR940nm, most likely to do with the normal things animals rely on to sense danger, eg. scent, noise, visual cues.

*under certain very controlled conditions with pulsing IR lasers the human eye can sense IR940nm but thats off topic.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 06 Sep 2020, 6:30 pm

niteowl wrote:One way of getting some info on this, is to get a genuine covert camera (some poorer ones still emit a low visible glow) that is genuinely silent and put it high in a tree looking down at a bait. Set it to take multiple shots or video.
A fox for instance, will approach the bait looking down at it in the first image and then all the others looking straight up at the camera.

This has been scientifically shown to be because of auditory, olfactory, learned association and visual neophobia ques.

It’s been studied as camera traps are extensively used by wildlife researchers and it often needs to be considered. Currently there isn’t a camera trap available that can go completely unnoticed by all animals.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Sep 2020, 7:59 pm

niteowl wrote:Sorry if you do not like newcomers to the forum that may know something??
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Fionn » 08 Sep 2020, 8:42 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
niteowl wrote:Sorry if you do not like newcomers to the forum that may know something??

I hoped that applied to them also, but seems it may not.

Couldn't let the pseudoscience go unchecked and a good fight by mchughcb go unsupported.

If they contract to government in WA as they claim it's a worry.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 18 Sep 2020, 6:55 pm

I agree Fionn. So here is test on a fox, from over 200m to 25m over an hour and with the wind in my face the fox is oblivious to my presence. Not even a little bit.

https://youtu.be/xwLM26FPCs4
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 18 Sep 2020, 9:15 pm

mchughcb wrote:I agree Fionn. So here is test on a fox, from over 200m to 25m over an hour and with the wind in my face the fox is oblivious to my presence. Not even a little bit.

https://youtu.be/xwLM26FPCs4

Great video.

I couldn't let bulls**t science and claims of niteowl go unchallenged.

They clearly have no idea of how nocturnal animals see at night or how infrared works.

For those interested here is some basic biology stuff which may bore some.

Nocturnal animals have a tissue layer called the tapetum lucidum in the back of the eye that reflects light back through the retina, increasing the amount of light available for it to capture, but reducing the sharpness of the focus of the image. This is found in most nocturnal animals and is the cause of eyeshine.

It increases the amount of light available, not the spectrum of light as niteowl claims.

The problem with thermal infrared light is that the entire world emits it. Everything that's warm shows up on infrared. Some animals are warmer than their surroundings, but only just. It would take a fairly fine discrimination to use infrared vision effectively if they had it because If you're a warm-blooded animal, the IR sensors in your eyes are going to pick up your own body heat as well, which would oversaturate your IR sensor, rendering you blind.

This is why mammals can't see IR.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 14 Nov 2020, 5:47 pm

The fox does not react to the 940nmIR.

https://youtu.be/HNg3j5G6NUI
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major