Why such good scopes for an air rifle?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Why such good scopes for an air rifle?

Post by Humir » 27 Jul 2013, 2:07 pm

Hi guys,

I was looking into getting a scope for my air rifle as I'm just using iron sights atm...

I was thinking 'it's just an air rifle' and would be spending $100-200 or something, but I see people spending $1k and up on quality glass like zeiss and bushnell and so on... Ok, so you want a good scope, but spending that for an air rifle?

Am I missing something? Not sure what there is to be gained from spending that for an air rifle? or do people just like spending more on new toys? :D
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Air rifle scopes

Post by RealNick » 28 Jul 2013, 10:13 am

For air rifles it's more about build quality that can withstand the forces of the rifle firing.

I know that sounds weird because an air rifle doesn't have any recoil, but it's different for scope compared to a centre fire rifle because of how it works.

For centre fire rifles the scope has to stand up to a sharp push in 1 direction when the rifle moves backwards. The issue with air rifles (memory a little fuzzy here, but it's along these lines) is that when it fires the internal mechanism shoots forward then bounces back, so there is a bit of a whiplash.

You don't feel this as the shooter, but the scope actually gets jerked back and forward with a bit of power.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Why such good scopes for an air rifle?

Post by Norton » 29 Jul 2013, 9:44 am

There are air-rifles and there are air-rifles too though.

You could have some old clacker that puffs out a pellet at 500 fps, or a high-power (as far as air rifles go...) which spits them out at 1600 fps.

It sounds like you're shooting the former? Which means you wouldn't bother with a high-end scope.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Humir » 29 Jul 2013, 3:14 pm

Thanks for the explanation all.

It's just an old plinker of an air rifle, nothing new and super powerful.

I will spend accordingly. Thanks.
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Tinked » 29 Jul 2013, 3:36 pm

Humir wrote:Thanks for the explanation all.

It's just an old plinker of an air rifle, nothing new and super powerful.

I will spend accordingly. Thanks.

I've had a cheapie bushnell on mine forever with no problems.
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by tarnagulla » 30 Jul 2013, 5:22 pm

RealNick was on the right track, particularly for air rifles that rely on a piston, which is driven back on "break-open", then flies forward on firing to provide the air pressure. That inflicts a fair bit of punishment on the scope (and mounts). On a CO2 or modern compressed air type, there is no such violent movement, so less robust scopes are needed?
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Air rifle scopes

Post by RealNick » 30 Jul 2013, 8:36 pm

tarnagulla wrote:RealNick was on the right track, particularly for air rifles that rely on a piston, which is driven back on "break-open", then flies forward on firing to provide the air pressure. That inflicts a fair bit of punishment on the scope (and mounts). On a CO2 or modern compressed air type, there is no such violent movement, so less robust scopes are needed?

Ah yep, that's something I forgot about... Piston vs the compressed air cylinder type of air rifle.

As you say, no piston bouncing in the modern air cylinder rifles so probably safer for your scopes there.

Then there's the matter of the .458 cal air rifles, no idea what the story is there lol.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Humir » 16 Aug 2013, 9:43 am

RealNick wrote:Then there's the matter of the .458 cal air rifles...

Mine feels inadequate suddenly, hehe.
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Return to Scopes, sights and optics