Bushnell Rimfire 3-12×40 - parallax marking incorrect?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Bushnell Rimfire 3-12×40 - parallax marking incorrect?

Post by lionet » 31 May 2019, 10:04 pm

So I got this scope for my first gun ever a Ruger American 22lr. I'm all happy with it. But I found something weird.

I was using the head wobbling technique to verify the parallax - while rifle is absolute stationary, move your head while looking into the scope. I figured if the parallax nob is set too close, target moves to opposite direction; parallax nob set too far, target moves to same direction of head movement. While head movement doesn't affect cross hair - target positioning then it's at the correct distance.

That's where I found it bizarre. The parallax is eliminated when the nob is set at 35 yards for 25 m target, and 70 yards for 50 m target. While 54 yards = 50 meters, it seems the parallax nob is 1.4x to the actual distance.

At first I think I was not doing it right 'coz I'm quite a rookie. But then I got another Bushnell (trophy xtreme 6-24x50mm) for my 223 and the marking on that one is right on point, confirmed by both shooting result and head-wobbling test.

Now I can only conclude that the parallax nob marking on the rimfire is off. Or am I missing something? Similar experience anyone?
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Bushnell Rimfire 3-12×40 - parallax marking incorrect?

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2019, 10:23 pm

lionet wrote:So I got this scope for my first gun ever a Ruger American 22lr. I'm all happy with it. But I found something weird.

I was using the head wobbling technique to verify the parallax - while rifle is absolute stationary, move your head while looking into the scope. I figured if the parallax nob is set too close, target moves to opposite direction; parallax nob set too far, target moves to same direction of head movement. While head movement doesn't affect cross hair - target positioning then it's at the correct distance.

That's where I found it bizarre. The parallax is eliminated when the nob is set at 35 yards for 25 m target, and 70 yards for 50 m target. While 54 yards = 50 meters, it seems the parallax nob is 1.4x to the actual distance.

At first I think I was not doing it right 'coz I'm quite a rookie. But then I got another Bushnell (trophy xtreme 6-24x50mm) for my 223 and the marking on that one is right on point, confirmed by both shooting result and head-wobbling test.

Now I can only conclude that the parallax nob marking on the rimfire is off. Or am I missing something? Similar experience anyone?

Possibly, I've never bothered with the scale, just turn the knob until you're focused, regardless of the range.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 01 Jun 2019, 6:54 am

Adjusting the ocular may help a bit, generally the distance markings are for reference, I have found with most scopes if the objective or side focus is set at a certain distance it may be focused but still have some degree of parallax error :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 01 Jun 2019, 12:09 pm

I think i have a scope where the range markings are so close to reality you could rely on them, but i do have others that are so far off id like to poke them in the eye of the twats that designed &/or assembled them...
I also have scopes id have no idea how accurate these markings are.

The easy fix is to ignore the range markings altogether....i dont use them anyway..

For hunting just approximately set it for a sharp image (in focas) on the average distance you're likely to be shooting at (set this by eye on a tree/fence post etc), & memorise which way to turn if you need to rely on paralex for longer range shots (for example a 300yd head shot on a bunny).

For hunting, practice quick target aquisition & shooting a few groups with single shots without having set the paralex/focas...this will help your memory to centralise your eye to the scope without relying on paralex...

If you're just shooting targets, set the paralex by sight (reticle movement against target) each time you change the range/distance.to target.

Comparing the range markings on a scope to actual range is just an excercise in wasting time that you could otherwise be shooting.
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics