CZ 527 scope ring screw (hex or torx option)

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

CZ 527 scope ring screw (hex or torx option)

Post by Cooper » 27 Jul 2019, 6:32 pm

I have have a set of genuine CZ rings on my CZ527.
While doing a scope swap today. I snapped two of the screw heads in half.

They are just the flat screw driver. Slotted head style screw. I know why it happened. As a was undoing them I went the next flat blade screw head up. I thought it was a better fit. It was actually a bit big. Wedging the slotted head of the screw apart and snapping two of them. I got them out

Looks like Winchester Australia has replacement in stock. I’ll check with my LGS Monday. Not sure of cost.
I’d prefer a hex head or torx bit style screw? I have have searched but doesn’t look like a common thread/head size.
Just wondering if anybody else has been there done that?

Thanks
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: CZ 527 scope ring screw (hex or torx option)

Post by solarpak » 27 Jul 2019, 9:52 pm

Cooper,
know exactly where your coming from. I am playing with a CZ527 varmint with the MDT chassis as the moment and the CZ rings supplied for that rifle have the straight-slot screws made of very soft steel.

Why CZ would still continue to fit there screws to their scope rings is beyond me and one thing i will be bringing up to the importers (Winchester) soon.

Everyone these days used either Allen to Torx screws .......its a shame because the CZ rings are quite good otherwise.

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 28 Jul 2019, 7:36 am

Cooper wrote:I have have a set of genuine CZ rings on my CZ527.
While doing a scope swap today. I snapped two of the screw heads in half.

They are just the flat screw driver. Slotted head style screw. I know why it happened. As a was undoing them I went the next flat blade screw head up. I thought it was a better fit. It was actually a bit big. Wedging the slotted head of the screw apart and snapping two of them. I got them out

Looks like Winchester Australia has replacement in stock. I’ll check with my LGS Monday. Not sure of cost.
I’d prefer a hex head or torx bit style screw? I have have searched but doesn’t look like a common thread/head size.
Just wondering if anybody else has been there done that?

Thanks

If the so called "genuine CZ rings" are made in the Czech Republic or in Europe there is a very good chance they may have an M3.5x0.5 thread which will be a problem finding a suitable substitute screw.
If you go to a gunshop they will likely just give you #6-48 screws
A common #6-48 will start in an M3.5x0.5 thread and progressively get tighter due to the mismatched thread until it breaks creating a further problem.
Check the thread by screwing the screw all the way into the thread in the ring bottom using finger pressure only to confirm it is a correct match.
PM me if you have difficulty resolving your problem.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 28 Jul 2019, 9:53 am

Interesting my searching indicated that the thread is M3.5-0.6 pitch. Not 0.5 pitch.

Anyway I’ll price the factory replacements on Monday and make sure they are available. Once I have this scope tightened in. I don’t think I’ll be changing it. If I do. I’ll probably change the rings.
The rings themselves do seem quite good quality. Shame about the screws. Lucky they came free inside the rifle box. I wasn’t expecting them. I thought CZ had stopped shipping the rifles with rings included.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 29 Jul 2019, 11:33 am

Gun shop got back to me with a price. $15 per screw. I was expecting 5 or 6 each. Maybe $10.

So I’ll see if I can source any alternatives
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Strangedog » 29 Jul 2019, 4:51 pm

I put a pic rail on mine. Fitting scopes to those rifles is a pain with such positioning limitations that the rifle's dove tails impose.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 29 Jul 2019, 10:22 pm

How did you secure the pic rail onto the dovetail?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 29 Jul 2019, 11:40 pm

http://www.microfasteners.com/scm3508-m ... alloy.html
try this then ask your LGS how they could justify $15 each that,s 4.50 for 20
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Strangedog » 31 Jul 2019, 8:36 am

SCJ429 wrote:How did you secure the pic rail onto the dovetail?

It was a rail made for the 527. I can't remember the make, but there are a number of them out there. I couldn't get my scope far enough forward with normal rings.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics