Entry level lazer range finder

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Entry level lazer range finder

Post by mickb » 06 Aug 2019, 5:58 pm

Any recommendations folks? Max ranges only 600 yards or so, but would like decent-ish construction and accuracy from it.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Entry level lazer range finder

Post by bladeracer » 06 Aug 2019, 6:41 pm

mickb wrote:Any recommendations folks? Max ranges only 600 yards or so, but would like decent-ish construction and accuracy from it.

Mines a Kogan, but it's identical to many other Chinese ones that have various brands. Been using it _a lot_ for the last four years with no problems, haven't even replaced the battery yet. Under ideal conditions it's good for maybe 750m, I get readings sometimes on a treeline around the 720m mark. Seems accurate enough for any purpose I might need it for. Can't recall the price now, but well under $200 I'm sure.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 06 Aug 2019, 6:53 pm

I too have a kogan... $140 from memory.

I dont like it because the reticle isnt illuminated...which means i jsve to carry 2 with me...

If you shoot at night get one with an illuminated reticle.

Aside from that, it seems ok...but i dont use it much.
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 06 Aug 2019, 6:58 pm

Stix wrote:I too have a kogan... $140 from memory.

I dont like it because the reticle isnt illuminated...which means i jsve to carry 2 with me...

Wouldn't you just carry one illuminated one?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 06 Aug 2019, 7:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:I too have a kogan... $140 from memory.

Wouldn't you just carry one illuminated one?

Lol...Yes...
Thats ehy i dont use the kogan...
But they both live in the same box so they both get carted around...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ats3 » 06 Aug 2019, 7:29 pm

I picked up one from kogan about a year and a half ago, $120 i think. It's quick to use, 6x magnification, and Not particularly big. Lenses aren't overly clear, but you'll know what you're looking at. No good for bird watching or trophy checking, but you'll find what you're looking for.
Ats3
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2019, 8:31 pm

Im happy with my Aldi. Basic cross hairs and x6. I no longer bother with binos most of the time.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 06 Aug 2019, 8:49 pm

Thanks fellas might take a look at a Kogan then. I'm a big fan of budget stuff that works.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by xDom » 07 Aug 2019, 7:19 am

So what are you getting with costlier range finders? Further distance? Are the accuracy of the cheapies acceptable?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2019, 8:06 am

xDom wrote:So what are you getting with costlier range finders? Further distance? Are the accuracy of the cheapies acceptable?

I check distances on GoogleEarth regularly and I have no concerns about lack of accuracy. As I don't have a permanent ŕange set up I am constantly ranging over the same basic areas and get consistent measurements regularly in the 10m to 400m window. As I am also intimate with the trajectory of CCI Std Vel I can pretty much use bullet drop to estimate range, and confirm with the laser. When mine dies I will be looking for another of the same model, if they're still available.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Aug 2019, 8:22 am

xDom wrote:So what are you getting with costlier range finders? Further distance? Are the accuracy of the cheapies acceptable?

Mainly marketing i think. Sure an expensive one might be 2% more accurate. But if your shooting goats to 250 yards, would it matter.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by xDom » 07 Aug 2019, 8:48 am

At the moment I pace my targets out. It’s an electricians tactic in measuring cable runs. I know what size stride is a metre. Surprisingly accurate.
However this doesn’t work when setting up for a game shot.
Tried a few times but the game don’t cooperate.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 07 Aug 2019, 1:06 pm

xDom wrote:At the moment I pace my targets out. It’s an electricians tactic in measuring cable runs. I know what size stride is a metre. Surprisingly accurate.
However this doesn’t work when setting up for a game shot.
Tried a few times but the game don’t cooperate.

Actually xDom... that is a carpenters measuring technique that we taught you electricians... :lol:

We were measuring timber logs that way long before electricity was harnessed & delivered by copper wire... :thumbsup:
:lol: :drinks:

I have a Zeiss...its 8x...& the kogan...
I bought the zeiss for the extra mag over the standard 6x.
I love the 8x--easy enough to hold steady & a little easier to see hidden quarry like goats or bunnies under trees/in thicket etc...

Its a lot clearer than my cheap binos & cheap finder, & bright enough to see things as far as my spotlight can illuminate...as a consequence i dont bother with binos anymore.... :thumbsup:
The cheap one is very dull in comparison (light transmission to your eye), & particularly hard to find targets with under spotlight.

(I will often scan terrain from high points at night)--i csn & have picked up cats & foxes eyes under spotlight at a km away with the zeiss, (worked my way to within 140 yds & missed... :lol: ), but barely a hope of seeing them at 500 with the cheap one.

Ive also picked up billy goats during day over 1.2km away accross valleys that others cant make out with their 3-9 rifle scopes or cheap binos.(to be fair ive had to confirm them with 16x rifle scope)
And i have poor eyesight.

I find the the good one is way more consistant in both distance readings, & in generally picking up a reflection (getting a reading at all) on a variety of targets ...
Sometimes the cheap one just doesnt want to comply, then it will give a couple of random readings....but overall, say roos during daylight hours or targets, it works.

The expensive one will most of the time give accurate readings through car windows...dont even bother with the cheap one... :thumbsdown:

The rubber eyepeice of cheap one is horrible--seems to hsve very small exit pupil & have to hold off face for correct eye relief-(often have to put finger between unit & face to hold consistant eye relief-uncomfortable).

Having said that, there are always arguements for & against high priced gear...

i dont know thst its worth the extra coin for you--depends what you want--could buy a lot of chesp ones for that money...
But then again, there are plenty of reports of the cheapies breaking down...

If you only want one & do night shooting, id suggest getting one with illuminated reticle...

Quick addition--the biggest peev i have with the zeiss is that the reticle brightness is not adjustable--csn not see long range target under spotlight while finger is on button...much like illuninated reticle on rifle scope i spose.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 07 Aug 2019, 3:31 pm

Stix wrote:Actually xDom... that is a carpenters measuring technique that we taught you electricians... :lol:

We were measuring timber logs that way long before electricity was harnessed & delivered by copper wire... :thumbsup:

You type well for a man almost 200 years old Stix thats all I can say ;) :lol:

I have a Zeiss...its 8x...& the kogan...
I bought the zeiss for the extra mag over the standard 6x.
I love the 8x--easy enough to hold steady & a little easier to see hidden quarry like goats or bunnies under trees/in thicket etc...

Its a lot clearer than my cheap binos & cheap finder, & bright enough to see things as far as my spotlight can illuminate...as a consequence i dont bother with binos anymore.... :thumbsup:
The cheap one is very dull in comparison (light transmission to your eye), & particularly hard to find targets with under spotlight.

(I will often scan terrain from high points at night)--i csn & have picked up cats & foxes eyes under spotlight at a km away with the zeiss, (worked my way to within 140 yds & missed... :lol: ), but barely a hope of seeing them at 500 with the cheap one.

Ive also picked up billy goats during day over 1.2km away accross valleys that others cant make out with their 3-9 rifle scopes or cheap binos.(to be fair ive had to confirm them with 16x rifle scope)
And i have poor eyesight.

I find the the good one is way more consistant in both distance readings, & in generally picking up a reflection (getting a reading at all) on a variety of targets ...
Sometimes the cheap one just doesnt want to comply, then it will give a couple of random readings....but overall, say roos during daylight hours or targets, it works.

The expensive one will most of the time give accurate readings through car windows...dont even bother with the cheap one... :thumbsdown:

The rubber eyepeice of cheap one is horrible--seems to hsve very small exit pupil & have to hold off face for correct eye relief-(often have to put finger between unit & face to hold consistant eye relief-uncomfortable).

Having said that, there are always arguements for & against high priced gear...

i dont know thst its worth the extra coin for you--depends what you want--could buy a lot of chesp ones for that money...
But then again, there are plenty of reports of the cheapies breaking down...

If you only want one & do night shooting, id suggest getting one with illuminated reticle...

Quick addition--the biggest peev i have with the zeiss is that the reticle brightness is not adjustable--csn not see long range target under spotlight while finger is on button...much like illuninated reticle on rifle scope i spose.

Thanks for that synopsis mate. I would agree, big jump in money , especially if we are talking Ziess, means better glass and optics. Same for binos and spotters etc. I only need mine realistically for ranging for a crossbow and 22LR, so ranges will be only 75 and 150m or so. Anything else will mostly be for fun. So I will try the cheap ones first. Thanks again!
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Stix » 07 Aug 2019, 5:54 pm

mickb wrote:
Stix wrote:Actually xDom... that is a carpenters measuring technique that we taught you electricians... :lol:

You type well for a man almost 200 years old Stix thats all I can say ;) :lol:

Thanks for that synopsis mate. I would agree, big jump in money , especially if we are talking Ziess, means better glass and optics. Same for binos and spotters etc. I only need mine realistically for ranging for a crossbow and 22LR, so ranges will be only 75 and 150m or so. Anything else will mostly be for fun. So I will try the cheap ones first. Thanks again!

:lol:
Only 200 y/o ya rekon...as time goes on some days i feel 200 yrs young...!!

No worries mickb... :thumbsup:

Thought i should put up most of my observations for fairness...

Id certainly agree with you on getting the cheapie for what you do... :thumbsup:

Yes my finder is expensive, for a range finder...but i consider it the poor mans tools for night shooting... :thumbsup:
Sadly its the closest ill probably ever get to proper thermal night vision....

Let us know how you go with yours...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by snag » 07 Aug 2019, 6:29 pm

Sorry Stix, I think you'll find it was actually a stonemason's measuring system that was picked up by carpenters and passed on to electricians....
Busy building pyramids and walls in China (to keep the rabbits out) and stuff while carpenters were splitting trees ....
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 07 Aug 2019, 7:33 pm

Lol...
Prob true snag... :thumbsup:
Still all before electricity...

Come to think of it...How did they move the stones without logs to roll them on...?

And im sure our ancestors used trees to build shelter & rafts with before huge lumps of granite for rabbit proofing... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by snag » 07 Aug 2019, 8:17 pm

Touche!! Nice work old man - I like it!
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 07 Aug 2019, 8:31 pm

I have an Ebay one... probably similar to the kogan one.. just cheaper. It seems good enough. But I don't use it to much
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics