Burris FF-E1 6.5-20x50 or similar

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Burris FF-E1 6.5-20x50 or similar

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Aug 2019, 8:34 am

Good point there Stix, European glass is excellent in low or artificial light. The Swarovski lines can be a bit expensive but Ziess has a budget line.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 13 Aug 2019, 11:25 am

I would like to give a plus one for the Nikko Stirling Nighteater.I put a new one on my lightweight .222 Ruger S/S synthetic when I took up Kangaroo culling in 96 and it was 3 x 10 by 40mm and it did the job well.I paid $96 for it and I am sure they are only $127 new now
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by GQshayne » 13 Aug 2019, 8:12 pm

I wonder if perhaps you think you need more magnification, when in fact what you actually need is better quality.

An example - I am at the range doing some sighting in a while ago. I have an old 2-8 power Japanese Tasco World Class. A good scope in its day. Trying to spot .22 holes in the target, I was struggling, so I grabbed the 10 power binos. Hmmm no good either. I also had my .243 there, so I grabbed it to look through the scope, and I could see them quite easily. The scope is a 6 power Swarovski.

An illuminated reticle is worth you looking at too.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Aug 2019, 8:26 pm

GQshayne wrote:I wonder if perhaps you think you need more magnification, when in fact what you actually need is better quality.

An example - I am at the range doing some sighting in a while ago. I have an old 2-8 power Japanese Tasco World Class. A good scope in its day. Trying to spot .22 holes in the target, I was struggling, so I grabbed the 10 power binos. Hmmm no good either. I also had my .243 there, so I grabbed it to look through the scope, and I could see them quite easily. The scope is a 6 power Swarovski.

I had the opposite experience, I could not see .22 bullet holes at 500 with a 12x S&B but no can do. I grabbed my bench rifle and could see them easily, with the 55x Nightforce.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Roo farmer » 13 Aug 2019, 9:29 pm

Stix wrote:Your description is open ended...you put question marks after many things--for example with reference to the reticle --you ssid this...

"As for wanting a simple reticle, maybe this is not such a big deal? Maybe a tree type one is not so bad? I've never looked through one, but it seems like a whole heap of clutter that I don't want?"

Three question marks that no one can answer for you...
I believe you need to not only look through one, but spend some time shooting with one to know if you like that type of reticle.

I like them, others dont...some dont like the "clutter"--personally i dont even see the "clutter" unless im looking for it for bullet drop...so the only time ive found a fox hiding behind my reticle is when ive put it there--if you dont know you like them--we dont know either.

Im not trying to be difficult, just saying--no one here knows if you like a drop hash mark reticle if you dont.

As for magnification...i cant speak for others, but i find much beyond 16 mag on a scope with 40mm objective, & 18x on a 50mm objective, & you loose way too much light for shooting in a stubble field from within a car (meaning not elevated)...from back of a ute on moonlit night is different..

Im not sure of your expectations...best i can tell you need a Swarovski Z6i...

Also with regard to reticle'--i believe it to be extremely beneficial to shoot with a medium to heavy reticle for spotlighting--it makes it easier to see/more contrast...

i have no doubt that you will struggle to see, let alone to shoot many roos at 250m with a halogen powered blitz 240 looking through a cheap scope (<$1500-2000) wound up to 24X with a fine reticle on a dark night...not impossible, but difficult...!
I do a fair bit of spotlighting & this is just my opinion...

I also have the Trophy extreme 6-24x50 with the varmint reticle (xmas tree) & the reticle is thick--good for spotlighting big targets like foxes & roos heads- :thumbsup: -its not much chop on bunny's heads at 300 during the day though.
But--this reticle isnt illuminated--something else that i brlieve will be beneficial for you.

As for hold zero & consistant click value...i believe anything below $2000-$1500 ish is a gamble--buy something eith lifetime w'tee.

If you find it difficult to judge distance--so do most people (not that they will all admit it).
If you're shooting distances beyond the max point blank for your load, buy a rangefinder with an illuminated reticle--it will help you immensly...but there are always times where perspective will fool you at night using a spotlighy & this will continue throughout your life...!!

Recommendations for your specic use...(that i have actually looked through)...
Bushnell trophy 3-15x50 illuminated...
Bushnell trophy 6-24x50
Swarovski z6i (heavier reticlemodel) :thumbsup:
Swarvski z5i (heavier reticle model):thumbsup:
Leopold 6.5-20x50 (not sure if the do a heavier reticle other than fine...? :unknown: )

I also have a zeiss 5-25 hd5 eith varmint reticle--excellent weight reticle for spotlighting but not illuminated...

Gotta go to bed...

Thankyou for your opinions, much appreciated. Yes, I put question marks after many things. Just because I don't really know, and maybe someone has been in a similar situation, bought a particular scope that they didn't know if they were going to like, but then decided that they do like it. I guess if it's just personal opinion then there are no real answers.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Roo farmer » 13 Aug 2019, 9:32 pm

GQshayne wrote:I wonder if perhaps you think you need more magnification, when in fact what you actually need is better quality.

Thanks for the suggestion, yes maybe that is a possibility. Pretty hard to know. I believe an illuminated reticle runs on a small button battery. How long do they last?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 13 Aug 2019, 10:53 pm

Roo farmer wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, yes maybe that is a possibility. Pretty hard to know. I believe an illuminated reticle runs on a small button battery. How long do they last?

Less than a week if you leave them on. :?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by GQshayne » 14 Aug 2019, 7:31 pm

I do not know how long they last to be honest. Perhaps some googling will tell you that. It will vary between brands too I guess.

As for leaving them on by mistake, that will also depend on what brand you get. I know that Swarovski will only operate when in a horizontal and upright position, so if you point the rifle up or lay it on its side, the illuminated reticle turns off, and will switch on again when in a shooting position.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 14 Aug 2019, 7:35 pm

SCJ429 wrote:

I had the opposite experience, I could not see .22 bullet holes at 500 with a 12x S&B but no can do. I grabbed my bench rifle and could see them easily, with the 55x Nightforce.

Both quality optics though, so I would have thought that should be the case. I know S&B is premium stuff but the Nightforce would be close wouldn't it? In my case, it just illustrated that the quality of the optic was more important than magnification.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 14 Aug 2019, 7:41 pm

Roo farmer, I reckon you need to try and do what Tassie Tiger did recently, and try and get a couple of scopes to look through. If you can put a Burris, Meopta Meopro, and a Swarovski etc side by side, then you can see what you get for your money.

In my case, I am a recent convert to quality optics. I am 48 now, so eyesight not as good as when I was younger, so I can appreciate the better optics. Not everyone can afford the big dollar stuff, so that is important. But some careful selection can get you a quality optic. I have recently purchased Meopta stuff and reckon it is excellent value. Not used a Meopro, but the Meostar is a contender with the Swarovski Z6, and is a heck of a lot cheaper.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Aug 2019, 8:31 pm

GQshayne wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:

Both quality optics though, so I would have thought that should be the case. I know S&B is premium stuff but the Nightforce would be close wouldn't it? In my case, it just illustrated that the quality of the optic was more important than magnification.

Yes, sorry mate I was being a bit smart. I am not sure what type of Swarovski that he can get for $700. I did look through a variable 24x Vortex which wasn't bad for around that money but the turrets might be bigger than you want.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 15 Aug 2019, 10:59 am

sungazer wrote:
Roo farmer wrote:

Less than a week if you leave them on. :?

Strangley enough...ive left the reticle turned on a couple of times when its in the safe on the bushnel trophy extreme 2.5.-15x50 & it hasnt gone flat...
Maybe it has a cut out on it...im not sure... :unknown:
I only ever have it on the lowest setting though.
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 15 Aug 2019, 7:44 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Yes, sorry mate I was being a bit smart. I am not sure what type of Swarovski that he can get for $700. I did look through a variable 24x Vortex which wasn't bad for around that money but the turrets might be bigger than you want.

Ah, I didn't have my sarcasm detector activated!! LOL :lol:

Agreed that such optics are out of the stated budget. I am suggesting that perhaps some comparative testing may give cause to review the budget. Of course there will be a middle ground too, rather than looking at Z6's. Hence my suggestion of Meopta, and Leupold have a great selection too. In low light conditions the better optics really show their quality.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 15 Aug 2019, 8:54 pm

If your interested in looking through some scopes, what area you in RooFarmer...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics