Laser Safety — the dangers of Night Vision shooting

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Laser Safety — the dangers of Night Vision shooting

Post by duncan61 » 12 Sep 2019, 10:32 am

We all have the option to not open a thread but I for one have been fascinated by this poster and have followed the whole lot.I think he will go then come back again with more nonsensical stuff.Good luck to all the people who buy night vision stuff but I am still a fan off spotlighting and the satisfaction of placing a shot.Go GDB for a dumb Aussie you sure make a lot of sense :D :D
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by xDom » 12 Sep 2019, 10:31 pm

“...but that doesnt mean xDom is a twat because he doesnt wear a space suit to shoot a rabbit at night.....
He's a twat cos he missed 2 easy shots last night...”

You cheeky b@stard! That’s it I’m leaving the forum. I was expecting intelligence here but, nope...
I’m off to hang out with my successful friends and professional children.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Sep 2019, 10:41 pm

xDom wrote:“...but that doesnt mean xDom is a twat because he doesnt wear a space suit to shoot a rabbit at night.....
He's a twat cos he missed 2 easy shots last night...”

You cheeky b@stard! That’s it I’m leaving the forum. I was expecting intelligence here but, nope...
I’m off to hang out with my successful friends and professional children.

Lol...

Did someone slip a drop of bobox in your drink...? :silent:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Sep 2019, 11:09 pm

Yes duncan61 I to like spotlighting and would never give it up but I have to admit I have been tempted on occasions to purchase a night vision until I saw the price so temptation gone then I think why give up spotting its so much fun
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Sep 2019, 11:21 pm

Yes duncan61 I to like spotlighting and would never give it up but I have to admit I have been tempted on occasions to purchase a night vision until I saw the price so temptation gone then I think why give up spotting its so much fun

Same. I love the idea of a full-on FLIR thermal scope until I think of having to pony up $4-$5K,,,, at that point I remind myself that spotlighting with my Narva halogen hand held spotlight has a certain old-skool whimsical charm ;)
Member-Deleted

Post by bigpete » 14 Sep 2019, 6:45 am

They both have their place.
Just can't work out why spot lighting makes placing a shot ever so.much more satisfying though.....maybe in livestock?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Sep 2019, 10:38 am

I am still amazed by how good LED torches are which makes spotlighting so much easier. In years to come I am sure night vision will take over and I am interested to see what is coming out and peoples experience using them. Sometimes I need to be more patient and tolerant of posters when they share what they have learned
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ramshackle » 17 Oct 2019, 12:49 pm

Told.you.so.

a8309cc6-b935-49b7-964c-65296a0f1019.jpg
a8309cc6-b935-49b7-964c-65296a0f1019.jpg (79.15 KiB) Viewed 4976 times
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Oct 2019, 1:17 pm

Curious People wanting to look into the ends of torches that show no visible light reminds me of something I did when I was a kid. I was told and warned never to stick anything into powerpoints and that the electricity within was extremely dangerous and often fatal ..so as soon as I had some time alone unsupervised I was sticking cutlery in there to find out for myself I did not get a shock but I remember a flash and black burn marks on the outside of the point. Fortunately these days we have plastic inserts to prevent entry of foreign objects and earth leakage safety devices . I’m fifty and in the construction industry. Never had a proper boot. One shock can end it all ....probably feels like a land cruiser hitting you at 100 kph
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2019, 1:28 pm

Blr243 wrote:Curious People wanting to look into the ends of torches that show no visible light reminds me of something I did when I was a kid. I was told and warned never to stick anything into powerpoints and that the electricity within was extremely dangerous and often fatal ..so as soon as I had some time alone unsupervised I was sticking cutlery in there to find out for myself I did not get a shock but I remember a flash and black burn marks on the outside of the point. Fortunately these days we have plastic inserts to prevent entry of foreign objects and earth leakage safety devices . I’m fifty and in the construction industry. Never had a proper boot. One shock can end it all ....probably feels like a land cruiser hitting you at 100 kph

When I was a kid I was asked to move a washing machine...that was turned on...and leaking copious amounts of water. It threw me against the wall three times before I worked out what was going on :-)

A bit later on I decided to wire a washing machine motor straight to the end of an extension lead. I switçhed on and got an almighty bang, a blinding flash, and a cloud of thick smoke out of the motor and the power point - luckily no boot from that one though!

I've had lots of hefty electrical zaps, often using power tools in wet weather.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by xDom » 17 Oct 2019, 4:48 pm

Ah Ramshackle, the forums favourite c**khead..

This letter is, in the words of your wise leader,

FAKE NEWS.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Oct 2019, 6:50 pm

ramshackle wrote:Told.you.so.

a8309cc6-b935-49b7-964c-65296a0f1019.jpg

Who's the letter from...???
And who's it to...???

And what country is it in...?

And if not AU, how do their standards differ to ours...??

If its all genuine, & you are geniune, you'll post up the actual info so others arent harmed... :unknown:

Whilst im nit saying its fake, what you've posted holds no credibility--its just type on a peice of paper...just like a placard in a GCA demonstration says "sound moderators kill"...

So in all reality...all you've done is poke your head back in the door & blown a raspberry, & ran away quickly...
:unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Raband » 17 Oct 2019, 8:02 pm

Raband
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 17 Oct 2019, 8:19 pm

↑ This fella has waaaaaaaay too much time on his hands.

The letter was posted on UK forums.

The best guess is it was written by Drew of Drews Lab.

We can only speculate at his reasons for sending this letter, but my number one reason would be simple - he's trying to cover his bum in case Trading Standards try to prosecute people selling PARDs because they exceed the power limits RECOMMENDED by Public Health England in this document https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ety-advice

How long before Aus wakes up?

drew.png
drew.png (70.86 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Raband » 17 Oct 2019, 8:36 pm

ramshackle wrote:↑ This fella has waaaaaaaay too much time on his hands.

Just bored and drunk lol

Did a google search for recalls and got nothing - not that I was expecting to find any (legit or otherwise) - no slight on you, just doubt the CN publish them

Thought I may as well shoot the messenger and earn some forum points ;)

Am 50/50 on who's side to take here - mates son bought himself a laser from China and looked down the barrel - now has a burnt retina for the rest of his life.

Am more of the idea that safety labels should be warnings, not reasons to stop people using the product - do stupid s**t, stupid s**t happens to you

The idea of a sight that makes sure the deer/pig/game you shoot after dark will have zero parrisites left alive on it when I go to butcher it excites me
Raband
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 17 Oct 2019, 8:52 pm

Ramshackle,My therapist does not believe your real and I have imagined you.But your back!!!
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by xDom » 17 Oct 2019, 8:56 pm

The boys over on the UK forum ( same forum Ram got chucked off from ) have their thoughts on the matter.

https://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?t=21267
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Oct 2019, 10:31 pm

xDom wrote:The boys over on the UK forum ( same forum Ram got chucked off from ) have their thoughts on the matter.

https://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?t=21267

When i try that link it wants me to join to read it...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 17 Oct 2019, 11:26 pm

me too
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by xDom » 18 Oct 2019, 5:28 am

Yeah sorry fellas, forgot about that.

Here’s one of the posts in response to this.

“.. Hi...
I would describe this letter as one more competition attempt to sabotage Pard sale..
Drew's lab is unfortunatelly spreading false claims made by Thomas Jack's since their sale is effected by Pard products to a point that they dont have any other answer but false claims..
In the end 60/70 % of Pard users buy stronger ir based on same vcsel laser named Sirius xtl or Pbir laser or Solaris cause Pard one is weaker..so situation is very clear here.
Pard NV007 and NV008 are registered and patented in EU and have CE and ROHS certificate so that is way more solid then Thomas Jacks "indipendent testing"..
Pard units are safe to use same as any other nv units with fact that they offer excellent value for money what can't be said for some of competition that is trying to make some advantage in this cheap way..
Cheers”

Thing is, no one has actually received one of these letters. A huge amount of posters on that forum have Pards and not one of them got the letter.

It was that particular photo on a few forums, Facebook and the likes.
Ramshackle has picked it up and ran with it. Out of genuine concern for us “dumb aussies”? Doubt it. To be the Erin Brockovich of night vision? Nope... He’s doing it coz he wants to be right.
Maybe he should just go and hang out with his professional kids and medical colleagues instead. Maybe go and make some noise about it on that other forum he runs.... flog.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Oct 2019, 6:22 pm

Gees xDom...

You shut that down pretty quick...!!... :) :drinks:

Some of us may have been looking for some entertainment you know... :?

And i wanted a reason to use my new word of the week...Ultracrepidarianism.... 8-)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by xDom » 18 Oct 2019, 7:12 pm

:D That’s a great ****** word Stix. I googled it and am now fully prepared to rip it out on the next loud mouth at smoko
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 21 Oct 2019, 7:01 am

xDom wrote:I would describe this letter as one more competition attempt to sabotage Pard sale.. Drew's lab is unfortunatelly spreading false claims made by Thomas Jack's since their sale is effected by Pard products to a point that they don't have any other answer but false claims.. In the end 60/70 % of Pard users buy stronger ir based on same vcsel laser named Sirius xtl or Pbir laser or Solaris cause Pard one is weaker.. so situation is very clear here. Pard NV007 and NV008 are registered and patented in EU and have CE and ROHS certificate so that is way more solid then Thomas Jacks "indipendent testing".. Pard units are safe to use same as any other nv units with fact that they offer excellent value for money what can't be said for some of competition that is trying to make some advantage in this cheap way..
Cheers

Above you've quoted "Bruce", who is basically a PARD employee, receiving free products from them, and writing their user manuals, and also receiving, I suspect, a paycheck (although he denies it). Certainly by claiming to know about their patents and trademarks, he betrays his communications with the product distributors and/or manufacturers, which indicates a certain intimacy.

More recently, "Bruce" made this post in another forum:

Because the PARDs have been so successful, sales of Pulsar and Yukon NV kit have been declining steeply, and it's hurting TJs profits.
They don't like that, and they think the competition from PARD is unfair because the IR illuminator in the PARDs is of a class that Public Health England recommend should not be sold to the public.
Note the words RECOMMEND and SHOULD - there's nothing mandatory about it.
In addition, the Public Health England Guidance was based on visible laser pointers of the types beloved by the idiots who shine them at aircraft coming into land.
There are already laws in place to punish people who do stupid stuff like that.
The IR illuminators in the PARDs are not like laser pointers, the IR produced by the PARDs spreads out like a normal beam from a torch - it simply cannot be made to be as narrow as that produced by a laser pointer.
The fact that the IR from the PARD spreads out makes it much, much less dangerous than a laser.
It is more dangerous than an LED, but the risk of eye damage from a PARD illuminator is far lower than with a conventional IR laser, such as an N1000.
I have spent several weeks working my way through the technical standards for both lasers and LED based illuminators and developing measuring techniques that can be applied to the PARDs and other commercially available illuminators, both laser and LED based.
Hopefully, in the coming weeks I'll be able to post the results of these measurements and compare them with the recommended exposure limits so that people can judge for themselves if they think the the risks posed by different types and models of IR illuminators are acceptable to them
Cheers
Bruce

Points to note:

1. Bruce claims —without any real proof— that the concerns and recalls are all the doings of a competitor. We'll soon find out if that's true or not, because I'm sure the UK's Public Health England are investigating.
  2. He admits that the PARD products have unusually strong laser emitters
  3. He does not admit that these lasers are inadequately labelled (should have 3A warning labels)
  4. He claims, without any proof, that VCSEL lasers are safer than other lasers, which I could not corroborate despite a long search online. I challenged him about this and he was unable to provide proof for his claims. On the other hand, I was able to provide proof of the opposite, IOW that VCSEL lasers are dangerous. There is no text on the internet claiming, as Bruce does, that these lasers are in any way "safer".

So we shall await developments. Meanwhile, buyer beware. I actually have a NV007 in my possession for review, so I'll have more to say soon (perhaps not here).
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Oct 2019, 7:17 am

Mate i agree the pard is dangerous,i am happy to take it off your hand as its dangerous to your eyes. I will fight against pard to get what you paid back thus saving you the hassle and take 50% of the money returned.

Alternatively i can pay you $50 towards shipping and i will recycle the product.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 21 Oct 2019, 8:06 am

God I hope it's not here
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 21 Oct 2019, 8:11 am

ramshackle wrote:[Meanwhile, buyer beware. I actually have a NV007 in my possession for review, so I'll have more to say soon (perhaps not here).

Well im taking a different tact...

Why do you say "perhaps not here"...?

Why wouldnt you want to post your review of the gear here...?

Im not being smart...i dont understand why...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 21 Oct 2019, 8:25 am

Stix,if you're serious,you can look at mine in person
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by xDom » 21 Oct 2019, 8:30 am

"...Above you've quoted "Bruce", who is basically a PARD employee, ."

How do you know this?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 21 Oct 2019, 8:43 am

xDom wrote:"...Above you've quoted "Bruce", who is basically a PARD employee, ."

How do you know this?

Itis pretty obvious that he's in their pocket. He admits to receiving free kit from them, and you'll find him popping up all over the internet to defend them and promote their products, and he make videos promoting them, writes User Manuals for the Pard products, knows stuff about the patents and trademarks that we don't know ....

I think we can safely assume some sort of relationship between Mr Bruce and PARD.

ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 21 Oct 2019, 8:48 am

so, all the guys on that forum that defend the Pard are in their pocket?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Scopes, sights and optics