Red dot question - TRS 25

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Red dot question - TRS 25

Post by Harrynsw » 18 Sep 2019, 9:15 am

Hi guys
Recently got my hands on a Bushnell trs 25 which iv mounted on a lever action.

I have zero experience with red dots. My question was in relation to the red dot itself. As I come up in brightness from zero, a small red dot starts to appear, is that the centre or as I come up another notch or 2 the dot gets substantially bigger, is that the 1 I'm supposed to be using?
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Red dot question - TRS 25

Post by pomemax » 18 Sep 2019, 1:01 pm

The red dot has 11 setting its in the center you will have to set it like a scope the setting are for briteness .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 19 Sep 2019, 7:37 am

Just thought I would chuck this in.
With my red dot. (Not a TRS25) with the sun behind , a false red dot can appear. This was at the 2 o clock position and both dots cant be seen at the same time. I was doing Chrony work and after patching out came back for another go. Not concentrating and thought this dot was the sight, took the shot and blew a hole in the chrony.
When the sun had moved I could not find the ghost dot , it just had to be in the right position to see it and it was the same size and shape as the real one.Next day I went back and checked and yes, when the sun was there on the back lense , by moving my head I got two separate dots appear.
Just a heads up.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scoot » 19 Sep 2019, 9:43 am

I've found red dots work best for me when the illumination is at the lowest brightness for the conditions. The dot seems "sharper" or less fuzzy from light flare which also makes it appear smaller. Better for trying to gain more precise p.o.a.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 19 Sep 2019, 11:04 am

I’ve got a mate who sees two dots. This is due to him having an astigmatism in his right eye. So it’s worth trying before you buy with red dots.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Sep 2019, 1:12 pm

perentie wrote:Just thought I would chuck this in.
With my red dot. (Not a TRS25) with the sun behind , a false red dot can appear. This was at the 2 o clock position and both dots cant be seen at the same time. I was doing Chrony work and after patching out came back for another go. Not concentrating and thought this dot was the sight, took the shot and blew a hole in the chrony.
When the sun had moved I could not find the ghost dot , it just had to be in the right position to see it and it was the same size and shape as the real one.Next day I went back and checked and yes, when the sun was there on the back lense , by moving my head I got two separate dots appear.
Just a heads up.

Did the chrono register a no?
Laughed when I read that :-) easy to do though...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Harrynsw » 19 Sep 2019, 4:09 pm

pomemax wrote:The red dot has 11 setting its in the center you will have to set it like a scope the setting are for briteness .

Thanks Pomemax
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 19 Sep 2019, 4:11 pm

perentie wrote:Just thought I would chuck this in.
Just a heads up.

Thanks for the tip, I shouldn't have, but laughed when I read that you pumped a hole in the crony
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 19 Sep 2019, 4:11 pm

scoot wrote:I've found red dots work best for me when the illumination is at the lowest brightness for the conditions. The dot seems "sharper" or less fuzzy from light flare which also makes it appear smaller. Better for trying to gain more precise p.o.a.

What I was hoping to read. Thanks
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 19 Sep 2019, 4:12 pm

MontyShooter wrote:I’ve got a mate who sees two dots. This is due to him having an astigmatism in his right eye. So it’s worth trying before you buy with red dots.

Cheers bud
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics