Scope for .22 trainer walkdown comp

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scope for .22 trainer walkdown comp

Post by zhuk » 24 Sep 2019, 6:23 am

Hey guys,

Bit of a confusing question for someone with virtually nil scope experience

I shoot walkdown rimfire matches (ie 100/75/50/25m) where you fire at two targets, increasing the number of shots on each in the string. So it's pretty much snap shooting(ish)

Got one of those lil Nornco pseudo K98 trainers which I'd like to have a crack at scoping, but after a lot of net searching have managed to thoroughly confuse myself re parallax adjustment yes/no, objective size etc lol

Because the rear leaf sight isn't removable the scope must be mounted a bit higher than usual, and I'm thinking a smaller objective to keep it as low as possible, like a 2-7x32. And would parallax adjustment need to be a thing? Also thinking that a BDC reticle might make more sense for a walkdown comp too, just use holdover points. To that end, the Nikon P-22 2-7x32 with a bdc doesn't look bad. But hey, what do I know lol

Just rolling the idea around, and because I've shot open sights for 8 years, have no real conception of what makes sense, scope-wise.

Any thoughts/opinions much appreciated.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Scope for .22 trainer walkdown comp

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Sep 2019, 7:59 am

Nightforce make a 4.5x fixed power with a 24 objective lens. I would go fixed power with no more magnification than 12x for that type of shooting.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 24 Sep 2019, 8:45 am

Right, thanks for the headsup and advice on that, SCJ429 :thumbsup:

Nightforce looks like a gorgeous piece of kit but alas is well out of my budget...but you've put me on the right track of fixed or a least low power+small objective choices.

So more research necessary lol

Much appreciated mate :)
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Sep 2019, 6:47 pm

Nikon make some excellent budget optics, I have no experience owning them but what I have seen has been good.

I used a Leupold 12x for field rifle which was quite good. You need to practice shooting with both eyes open to get on target. I have a 24x and 36x for 200 metre bench shooting. They are difficult to use at short range when shooting offhand.

You could start with a budget 4x or 6x and upgrade later if you need more magnification.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 24 Sep 2019, 7:11 pm

Understood, and thanks for the advice. I'll see what low power budgets are out there and give one a try.

Hadn't thought about keeping both eyes open, cheers for the heads-up.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 23 Oct 2019, 10:09 am

Bit of a late update sorry guys, but I finally got the trainer scoped, with a Monarch3 1-4x20. And it couldn't have worked out better. Had a look at the Leupold vx freedom 1.5-4x20 as well but wasn't impressed with the cheapish-feeling turrets and mushy/indistinct clicks compared to the Nikon with very definite solid click target turrets. And also zero-stop capability which I thought was a bonus. Also has a German #4 reticle which adds to the Mauserish feel and good for snap shooting.

Another plus the ocular was more tapered and I wanted to keep the scope as low as possible - not easy with the traditional Mauser high bent bolt.

Ended up getting the shop which mounted the scope to grind the high points off the bolt to fit so I could use medium rings + rail instead of much higher rings. Turned out perfectly and just the right height using the brilliant Accuriser rest, with high rings the stock bolt profile was fine I just couldn't get a proper sight picture/cheek weld:

And it does shoot too...who ever said the Chinese can't make rifles lol

50m 5 shot group

One more plus over the Leupold; the Nikon is 1" longer so there's a bit more real estate to work with, as far as positioning goes. The end of the Leupold sat very close to the front ring which I didn't think was a great idea.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Oct 2019, 12:45 pm

Bloody nice grouping!!!!!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Oct 2019, 1:29 pm

Amazing group!!!
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 23 Oct 2019, 3:15 pm

Cheers guys! :) Yeah I'm pretty damn happy with the result.

I gotta admit, it did well for a rifle made in the early 90s and bought sight unseen from Southern Cross heh. Also I rarely ever shoot from a bench so I used a small Caldwell front rest and just shoulder-mounted the butt...have got a rear sandbag but buggered if i can make it work properly on a bench lol

Made the decision to scope it because the rear leaf sight came to me a bit loose and wouldn't stay centered...bumped the front sight as far over to the right as I could, but still couldn't get on target consistently. So the scope just showed how accurate the rifle really is :)
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 Oct 2019, 5:14 pm

That is just outstanding Zhuk, amazing!
I've been looking at the Norinco faux-Kar98k for a long while, think I need to do something about it quite soon :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 23 Oct 2019, 5:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:That is just outstanding Zhuk, amazing!
I've been looking at the Norinco faux-Kar98k for a long while, think I need to do something about it quite soon :-)

Hmmmm, I think you need to too, mate! :mrgreen:

They are a gem, and at a bit over 6lbs very near "correct" weight for a G33/40 mountain carbine on which it is (roughly lol) based...bar the calibre of course. Extremely well balanced, right under the magazine where it should be. Plus any factory CZ mag is GTG.

I also have one of the newer models, without the K98-specific curved stock cutaway where the bolt sits when chambered...and it's very accurate with open sights. All you need to do is strip off the unsightly brownish lacquer-whatever it is-coating :P I stained the stock with Finniish pine tar and 3:1 gunstock wax. Fortunately this older model didn't come with that coating.

Be prepared to do a bit of wet-n-dry/autosol-polishing on the receiver etc. I didn't have to do nearly as much to the newer model as this gun (a lot!) so whatever factory produces Norincos has now obviously got onto the finishing a bit more, in the intervening few decades lol. I can push the newer model's bolt home with two fingers, for reference :)
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics