Scopes and muzzle brakes

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Scopes and muzzle brakes

Post by WookyMysta » 06 Oct 2019, 2:24 pm

Gday to all,

My 1st post.

Great site with lots of info.

I have just paid for but not taken delivery of Lithgow la102 in .308W with Meopro 6-18x50mm scope. (Awating the arrival of my PTA)

I looked for about half an hour through Leuopold 4-14x50 and tbo I could hardly notice any difference between the two. The Meopta was $400 cheaper so I went with that.

Q. I read that putting a muzzle brake on my .308 will kill my scope. Wondering if anyone has any feedback on this issue.

Thanks,
Wooky Mysta.
WookyMysta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Scopes and muzzle brakes

Post by bigpete » 07 Oct 2019, 6:04 am

Um....how the hell is it meant to ruin your scope ? I mean,I absolutely loath muzzle brakes,but one thing I would be absolutely sure they don't ruin is your scope. Hearing on the other hand......
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 07 Oct 2019, 6:12 am

WookyMysta wrote:Gday to all,

My 1st post.

Great site with lots of info.

I have just paid for but not taken delivery of Lithgow la102 in .308W with Meopro 6-18x50mm scope. (Awating the arrival of my PTA)

I looked for about half an hour through Leuopold 4-14x50 and tbo I could hardly notice any difference between the two. The Meopta was $400 cheaper so I went with that.

Q. I read that putting a muzzle brake on my .308 will kill my scope. Wondering if anyone has any feedback on this issue.

Thanks,
Wooky Mysta.

I haven't heard of this before. Did they give any reasoning for how this occurs?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 07 Oct 2019, 6:13 am

That would be interesting to know hey bladeracer.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 07 Oct 2019, 7:40 am

Never heard of it. So I googled it. It seems to be more of a problem with hard kicking rifles or cheap scopes or a combination of both. The theory goes something like this. Think of the initial recoil and the effect of the brake as two separate items separated by time ( projectile in barrel ) Firstly the rifle and scope is booted rear wards then the effect of the brake kicks in and halts that rearward movement more abruptly than u might think. This jerking is supposed to damage the scope. I have no personal exp with this. Just something I read on the net
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 07 Oct 2019, 8:49 am

So.....not something you'd get with a 308....or with a half decent scope....I know the scope on my 458wm has handled a fair few loads with the stupid muzzle brake fitted,before I got an end cap made and took the rowdy c#$t off
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1_49er » 07 Oct 2019, 8:59 am

For anybody wondering about what scope to purchase, consider the warranty. Preferably one that is not ascribed only to the original purchaser :huh:
Think Leupold, and if you doubt their warranty have a look at this http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... =5&t=13603
That's 40 years. Doesn't get much better than that :thumbsup:
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics