Is it just me or are todays offerings disappointing.

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Is it just me or are todays offerings disappointing.

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Oct 2019, 8:41 am

razor222 wrote:Really interesting thread. In the market for a scope for target shooting on a 22. Probably overkill but I'm tempted to try out their 10-40x56 scope. For $276 what can go wrong :lol:

I say do it and report back. I do think that extremely cheap scopes struggle with high magnification. I would limit the top magnification to 20 or 25x where the budget glass they are using has a better chance of providing a usable image. The main issues I have read about these scope is the quality of parts used for the Reticals. If you do not make heaps of elevation and windage changes you are less likely to run into problems.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2019, 11:12 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
razor222 wrote:Really interesting thread. In the market for a scope for target shooting on a 22. Probably overkill but I'm tempted to try out their 10-40x56 scope. For $276 what can go wrong :lol:

I say do it and report back. I do think that extremely cheap scopes struggle with high magnification. I would limit the top magnification to 20 or 25x where the budget glass they are using has a better chance of providing a usable image. The main issues I have read about these scope is the quality of parts used for the Reticals. If you do not make heaps of elevation and windage changes you are less likely to run into problems.

I have a 10-40x50 scope that I find pretty impressive for the price. It's one I bought when I was deciding what scope I wanted to put on all my rifles. If I hadn't decided I want to run the same scope on all my rifles the 10-40x would still be on my .204. Been a few years but I think was around the $300-350 mark. It's on my brother's Annie .22 currently, but I want to get it back next time he's down here for my long-range .22LR shooting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Oct 2019, 8:11 pm

What is the quality of the image between 30 and 40x? Do you know what make it is or is it unbranded? Some of the glass coming out of China is surprisingly good considering how little they must be spending on it.

I am thinking about getting one of Dutch's Visionking scopes and bolting it to something with a bit of recoil to see if it holds up. I bet a 40x could get my 416 shooting MOA at 500.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by razor222 » 13 Oct 2019, 7:40 am

Sorry to disappoint but ended up going the tasco varmint route. Basically the same price as the 24x visionking but could get it with zip pay lol. Still want to get the vision king for testing purposes but it'll have to wait now
Brno Mod 2
BSA Meteor
razor222
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics