Used Kahles vs new S&B, Zeiss, Meopta...

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Used Kahles vs new S&B, Zeiss, Meopta...

Post by Am88 » 15 Oct 2019, 9:30 am

Hi all first post here so G'day, I'm in two minds about a rifle I'll be building, It's and older CMC Mountaineer early 90's action and stock that will be getting a Swan barrel, varmint profile chambered in .222rem Mag. Primary uses will be spotlighting, but not cull work for roos, I have my .222 for that. And hopefully some early and late wild dogs from a hide, and if the odd Chital walks past while i'm sitting and I need meat him too I guess with headshot. Also just primarily something a bit more custom and something not may people have. Am in two minds however, as I have the opportunity to purchase an used Kahles Helia C 7x56, for roughly the same price or slightly cheaper then I can buy new offerings, eg Zeiss V4, Meopta Meostar 7x56, there is a couple of deals going on Shmidt and Benders 8x56's. I do not mind buying second hand stuff in good condition, I think there is a bit of appeal to me also as Kahles obviously do not make these any more.

Opinions or Idea's on things I may not have thought about? has anyone dealt with second hand ones? Any other recommendations on similar scopes as where I live the shops tend to not stock all the brands I want to look at and they wont get one in just to send it back if I do not like it. I already also own a Swaro Z3, S&B 8x56 on my Roo gun, Meopta Meopro and Leupold vx-3's. I like to vary brands and play around a bit so when other people ask silly questions like myself I can chime in and help people as much as I can.

Should add I'm more of a slimline scope kind of guy, I know that may sound silly being 56mm objective, but i mean no big bloody ballistics turrets hanging off them, or massive parallax knobs on the side, I don't adjust in the field once it's set it's set, the meopta I own has the parallax on the side and it stays on infinity as I can't be bothered playing with that sought of stuff.

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Used Kahles vs new S&B, Zeiss, Meopta...

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Oct 2019, 11:11 am

The service I got from Swarovski on my circa 1997 scope, was excellent. The service on my old Kahles was rubbish. Still did not work and they charged me more than was paid, when it was bought new :x
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: Used Kahles vs new S&B, Zeiss, Meopta...

Post by Am88 » 15 Oct 2019, 11:22 am

Really, I heard the opposite from others but I'm all ears on people experiences, that is one reason I'm a little hesitant on older scopes as to how companies will react with warranty. I have just spoken to a gentleman who also has a Swarovski Nova Habicth in 8x56, however waiting on photos as there was some milling work done on this scope to remove some sort of rail under the scope I believe.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics