Leupold vx1 turrets

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Leupold vx1 turrets

Post by Leadspitter » 18 Oct 2019, 5:40 pm

G day guys

Bought a vx 1 3 9 x 40 a couple of years ago
Been sitting in the drawer unused

Just started using it

Windage adjuster seems pretty positve in the click department , elevation adjuster , not so much.
Elevation clicks seem vague , not as positive as windage

Any experience with leupold dials appreciated

I am thinking about sending it back to NIOA for a check up

Any tips ?

Thanks
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Leupold vx1 turrets

Post by Stix » 18 Oct 2019, 6:39 pm

I havnt got or used one of them to be able to comment on...

Its a bit hard to give an opinion on a "feel" that you are experiencing...

If you shoot at a range, ask others if you can feel their knob for vertical...let them know you're insistent on them feeling your knob for vertical too...

Just walk up to them while they are shooting & ask quiety, with a discreet wisper in their ear..."can i compare the rigidity of your knob to mine with my fingers"--insist you'll be gentle & return the knob to the exact position it first sat...... :thumbsup:

Seriously though...while i joke, ask others...!!...try others....then make youre own assesment as to whether you send it back--the turrets should feel pretty much the same, so if one is vastly different to the other, so much so that you cannot be sure of click value, then maybe you should send it back...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Oct 2019, 7:29 pm

Check to see if the elevation dial has graduations. If it has, then use those "hash marks" as a guide to how much of an adjustment you give the elevation, instead of going by feel. If that works out OK, then you might not want to send it back at all. Might save you a bit of trouble, I hope :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Leadspitter » 19 Oct 2019, 6:48 pm

Stix

I will leave the knob massaging to you stix , practice makes perfect.

I will give the scope some further use .
I am not confident in it though.

Cheers.
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 20 Oct 2019, 1:12 pm

I own a few older vx1 scopes and have found that if they have sat for quite a while the turrets can be a bit stiff to start moving but they do loosen up
if you have a bore sighter you can check whether the turret is working, you can take it to a shop that supposedly sights in scopes if you dont
luckily they are under warranty and if it has clicks its not that old :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Leadspitter » 20 Oct 2019, 10:42 pm

Marksman

Thats a good idea
I aquired both the rifle and scope at the same shop

I could take it in and try it out
I will suss that idea out

Cheers.
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 28 Oct 2019, 8:16 am

I agree on the feeling you mean, I have two vx-1, and older version, 11 years in 4-12, and a newer version possibly 5 years in 3-9, the older version has no clicks, its the type you need a screw driver or 10c coin to change and it has a firm constant pressure on the adjuster similar to my old Weaver K-4, newer has the finger turrets and they are terrible feeling clicks both on windage and elevation, very sloppy. Have no hesitation in selling the 3-9 which is in the process of being picked up with a rifle this week, however Ill hang on to the older 4-12, no only was it the first scope I ever bought it dam well is good value for money.

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics