34mm scope rings

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

34mm scope rings

Post by Steve-0 » 20 Oct 2019, 7:28 am

Hello,
I have recently acquired a scope with a 34mm tube, any suggestions on some affordable decent-ish quality rings for such a scope?
It's only going on a Howa 223 at the moment, used for a both varminting and a bit of steel plinking on the farm.
And input/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 34mm scope rings

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Oct 2019, 9:06 am

Nightforce make some good looking and strong rings. They work for me.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 20 Oct 2019, 9:22 am

You should be able to get a few different brands of 34mm, Leupold being one, if you don't want high end quality/price like Nightforce, Kelby, Trentech etc
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 20 Oct 2019, 12:40 pm

Has anybody ever had a set of rings fail? I have never bought alum rings of eBay but I have had alum and steel both cheap and expensive and never had a drama
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 20 Oct 2019, 1:16 pm

I wonder what you mean by "a set of rings fail", in which way are your thoughts for this comment.

You can buy all sorts of rings off eBay so if you are hinting at something "no name" or some "china made knock offs" I don't know anybody that has purchased those but have purchased known brand rings of eBay like Weaver, Leupold and SportsMatch from reputable sellers.

Cheap rings I suppose can break, strip threads and worse by causing damage to your scope since they are not made correctly.

Don't know what this has to do with the initial question of asking about 34mm scope rings..??

My rifle scopes vary from the cheapest at about $500 to the dearest just under $5,000 so there is no way I would consider a cheap set of rings to use. Even the top end I buy can be aluminium or steel depending on my use. Aluminium high end versions for use when I have a weight limit to satisfy in competition shooting and when I say "high end" I mean like $300 or so. More money for rings than some people spend on a scope.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Oct 2019, 2:10 pm

I have a friend who crushed his scope tube using cheap out of alignment rings. Is that a fail?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 20 Oct 2019, 2:15 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have a friend who crushed his scope tube using cheap out of alignment rings. Is that a fail?

I'd say in a big way.

He/she'd be saying why oh why did I try and scrimp some dollars, never again. Too late..!!
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by YoungSC » 21 Oct 2019, 2:12 pm

I've been using 34mm MDT Premier Scope rings on my Howa 6.5 Creed for the last few months and have had no issues. Around the $100 mark.
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by Steve-0 » 21 Oct 2019, 5:29 pm

YoungSC wrote:I've been using 34mm MDT Premier Scope rings on my Howa 6.5 Creed for the last few months and have had no issues. Around the $100 mark.

Yeah nice. I'll give them a look.
Cheers
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Steve-0 » 29 Oct 2019, 5:30 pm

YoungSC wrote:I've been using 34mm MDT Premier Scope rings on my Howa 6.5 Creed for the last few months and have had no issues. Around the $100 mark.

What height rings did you go? And what's your objective lens dia?
Clearance from barrel?
Cheers
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by YoungSC » 30 Oct 2019, 10:24 am

Looking at what I put in Strelok, the centre of the scope is 5.1cm above the centre of the barrel. The scope has a 56mm objective.

I bought the Medium height rings. I'm not at home, so can't check the clearance between the bottom of the scope and the barrel, but it was fairly comfortable.
YoungSC
Private
Private

-

Post by Steve-0 » 01 Nov 2019, 5:34 am

YoungSC wrote:Looking at what I put in Strelok, the centre of the scope is 5.1cm above the centre of the barrel. The scope has a 56mm objective.

I bought the Medium height rings. I'm not at home, so can't check the clearance between the bottom of the scope and the barrel, but it was fairly comfortable.

Thanks for that, my scope has a 56mm objective too, so the medium rings should do me well.
Cheers
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics