Recommendations pls for 308 crossover scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Recommendations pls for 308 crossover scope

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Nov 2019, 7:41 pm

Vicko wrote:Of course. This isn't a dedicated LR target rifle though. Its a crossover. Although PRS sounds like fun and a 25x or 32x would be more than enough for that.
If I end up wanting a dedicated LR target rifle later I'd probably be looking at something like the Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x

So buy yourself a 3-9 Chinese scope for spotlighting for $60 and something decent with a bit of magnification for long rang work.

For the record, I have never had an issue with any of my Nightforce scopes.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Veetwin » 29 Apr 2021, 3:20 pm

I have on order a La102 308 and a Meopta 6-18 x 50. Also a Harris bi pod. Really looking forward to that. This will be my first 308 however have had previuosly a No4 303 and Yugo M48 which is a 8mm. Anyone got any recommendations on ammo for the La102 - something that has worked in yours? What break in do readers recommend considering Lithgow say the rifles are ready to go? Maybe controversially, I love the fact I have no "Red country" components in my rig. As I sold most of my stuff when I stopped last time, do you have any comments on hearing protection for the 308. I still have Peltor Tactical 6-S ear muffs and thought if i wear them and also ear plugs i may be on the right track. I would use them not turned on. (They may not work anymore anyway). Anyway cheers to all, and i would welcome any comments, regards Steve
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Apr 2021, 5:46 pm

Veetwin wrote:do you have any comments on hearing protection for the 308. I still have Peltor Tactical 6-S ear muffs and thought if i wear them and also ear plugs i may be on the right track. I would use them not turned on. (They may not work anymore anyway). Anyway cheers to all, and i would welcome any comments, regards Steve

I bought a pair of Peltor muffs many years ago, but gave up using them for shooting/hunting as they clatter against the cheek rests.
But,,,, for the record, they have since existed in my workshop and they are used there on a daily basis.
The electronic side of them still work as good as the day I bought them.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 29 Apr 2021, 6:03 pm

On my Sako 308 I went with vortex viper with the 5-25 X 50 FFP
EBR-2C (MOA) Reticle | 30 mm Tube
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 29 Apr 2021, 9:38 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
MontyShooter wrote:A big scope on the lithgow will be a heavy setup to walk around with. I'd be getting a 3-9 for the deer and something else for target stuff.

If you're looking at the pst and the nightforce scopes, take a look at the athlon ares etr. It has very nice glass. Arguably comparable to the razor and atacr models.

Spot on, I'd get a set of quick detachable mounts/rings and run two diff scopes for the intended needs, I too agree that rifle maybe a bit heavy to lug up and down hills all day but I guess give it a go and see how you find it (me personally I'd have two complete different outfits for the jobs at hand (yes more expensive but also more practicle) in real world conditions. :drinks:

+1 on this........

The LA102 isn't the most svelte rifle out there - i would look at a 2-7 x 32 or 3-9 x 40 (weighing around 350-450 grams) for hunting in a set of QD rings and for target work anything - depending on your budget - will work.

But for hunting - lighter is better - if your planning of doing hunting on foot.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Vicko » 28 Jun 2021, 9:59 pm

Gee whiz - didn't notice this thread was resurrected...
Time for an inventory update I think.

In the end, I picked up two new rifles. And have now got another on the way. lol

I scored an old model 70 featherweight in 30-06 that I put my Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15 on. It's just a lovely setup. That's my 'stalking anything' rifle.
I've also picked up an LA102 in .243 thats been dropped into an LA105 KRG chassis. That thing shoots way better than me and has been used for hitting steel and chasing foxes so far, but will probably see more range and PRS time (hopefully) than hunting. I'll be looking for a new scope for this one when I move my Pulsar Digex from it, onto my new rifle which is...
Another old model 70, this time an XTR heavy barrel 22-250, which will be my dedicated varmint rifle.

As for the new scope for the LA102.. not sure yet. I might stick the Razor HD LHT back on it for a bit, but I do like that scope on the 30-06. Weight really isn't an issue on the 102 setup and would in fact be helpful... so I might see if I can find something like a PST Gen2 or pickup a second hand Vortex Razor. Have heard good things about the Delta Javelin 4.5-30x56 too.
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics