Recommendations pls for 308 crossover scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Recommendations pls for 308 crossover scope

Post by Vicko » 23 Oct 2019, 4:29 pm

Hey folks,

Settled on a Lithgow LA102 in 308 for crossover duties. Everything from chasing foxes with spotties, to deer, and I'll have a play around with long range target stuff at the range out to 500+. I had originally wanted a 6.5C but realised that I need over .270 here in Vic for large deer - and there are a lot more choices for competition classes that avoid big dollar custom rigs with a 308 than there are 6.5. So thats where I ended up.

So now I need to settle on a scope. I've been looking at the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25 x 50 https://vortexoptics.com/viper-pst-gen-2-5-25x50-ffp.html?vortex_reticle=22 which seems pretty good value at around the $1700 retail mark. Great warranty.
I did have a peek at a Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 https://nightforceoptics.com/nx8/nx8-4-32x50-f1 which was lervely, but at nearly twice the price its hard to justify. That said, if I did end up getting a dedicated target rifle that might nearly do the job...
I did also notice the new comer - Zero Tech Trace ADV 4.5-27x50 https://www.zerotech.com.au/product/4-5-27x50mm-trace-rmg-advanced-riflescope/ coming in at $1300 that was worth a look. Pretty great warranty there too.

Anyone have any thoughts on them? Or other recommendations? Nightforce obviously have a good rep and Vortex seem to be doing well as well. I have a red light I'm keen to try to stick on top for chasing foxes at night once we spot them, but we normally get within 150m of most of the foxes around our area, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Recommendations pls for 308 crossover scope

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Oct 2019, 5:14 pm

You need the low power for bush hunting and high power for long range - same position I was in a while back.
I went through a lengthy process....bought a few leupolds vx3’s 6.5-20 which are very very nice and helped me extend my shooting range - but for my really long range, I kinda settled and paid $850 for a second hand bushy elite 6500 4.5 - 32 50mm. It has a life time transferable unconditional warranty...there is an updated model of this scope now (think it’s elite tac XRS) but very expensive. (2500).
Nightforce don’t seem to make a bad scope. The vortex You’ve looked at, I also checked out - but can’t recall why I disregarded it now...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Oct 2019, 6:26 pm

You will need about 30x to see your bullet holes at 500. I have taken my Nightforce 12 to 42x out hunting foxes. It takes a bit of practice to get onto your target quickly.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 24 Oct 2019, 9:15 am

A big scope on the lithgow will be a heavy setup to walk around with. I'd be getting a 3-9 for the deer and something else for target stuff.

If you're looking at the pst and the nightforce scopes, take a look at the athlon ares etr. It has very nice glass. Arguably comparable to the razor and atacr models.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Oct 2019, 10:17 am

MontyShooter wrote:A big scope on the lithgow will be a heavy setup to walk around with. I'd be getting a 3-9 for the deer and something else for target stuff.

If you're looking at the pst and the nightforce scopes, take a look at the athlon ares etr. It has very nice glass. Arguably comparable to the razor and atacr models.

Spot on, I'd get a set of quick detachable mounts/rings and run two diff scopes for the intended needs, I too agree that rifle maybe a bit heavy to lug up and down hills all day but I guess give it a go and see how you find it (me personally I'd have two complete different outfits for the jobs at hand (yes more expensive but also more practicle) in real world conditions. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Oct 2019, 6:45 pm

Hi Scott, what is the highest power scope that you have and have you tried hunting with it? I agree with you that most of the time you can make the shot with a 3 to 9x scope, for that matter a 1.5 to 4x will have you bringing something home to eat. But for me I enjoy a little more magnification.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Oct 2019, 6:55 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Hi Scott, what is the highest power scope that you have and have you tried hunting with it? I agree with you that most of the time you can make the shot with a 3 to 9x scope, for that matter a 1.5 to 4x will have you bringing something home to eat. But for me I enjoy a little more magnification.

6.5-20x50 is the biggest I own (I have used a few higher mag scopes from the schmitt and bender range but only in a target shooting capacity) but I much prefer low mag scopes to be honest for hunting purposes, the big mag range is great on a range or varminting but not targets that are moving around alot or running type thing high mag isn't needed 99% of the time in any walk about hunting situations IMHO as you can't hold steady enough for quick off hand shots on high mag settings so no real point carting the extra weight around when you can't really put the higher mag range to good use 99% of the time.

I guess it comes down to what sort of terrain you are likely to be hunting in and from what the OP was indicating he will be chasing big brown cows and they love to be in dense scrubby bush hence my reasoning behind a lower mag scope range. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Am88 » 25 Oct 2019, 8:25 am

I just purchased the same rifle in laminated stock, I figured cross over rifle, cross over scope, So I fitted a 6-18x50 Meopta I have now spare, the range work I do up here is not competition just a bit of fun for me so I don't want to see my holes at 500 I just go for a walk.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 25 Oct 2019, 10:00 am

+1 for the 6-18x50 Meopta. I have one on a 6.5 which I use for both hunting and a bit of longer distance fun at the range shooting gongs at 500m. Probably something better suited out there mate, however my experience with the above mentioned has been positive. let us know what you end up deciding on.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 25 Oct 2019, 3:43 pm

+1 on the Meopro 6-18 x 50

On my LA102 in 308 i have a Hawke Vantage 4-12x50 illuminated purely for the weight saving - this scope weighs 500g and just makes my rifle tolerable to carry over the flat paddocks.........

Meopta do make great optics - a very highly respected company that doesn't get the credit they deserve

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by WookyMysta » 25 Oct 2019, 6:51 pm

I was in the same boat. Loopy, Swaro, Meopta, or Zerotech.

Zerotech has several features I wanted in a hunting scope.

Apparently, Zerotech are a rebranded Tasco or cheap Bushnell, or something like that.

I asked at my lgs gun shop about the Zerotech, and his reply was they are made in China.

I asked about the Meopta vs Zerotech........

He looked me dead in the eyes and said "Zerotech is made in China, Meopta is made in Europe"

Save the money on a Loopy to buy ammo, cleaning accessories, etc......

Under $1000, you will be hard pressed to find a better scope than Meopta. They manufactured the lenses for Zeiss conquest v4 ....PERIOD !!!

Just my $0.02.
WookyMysta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 25 Oct 2019, 7:09 pm

WookyMysta wrote:I was in the same boat. Loopy, Swaro, Meopta, or Zerotech.

Zerotech has several features I wanted in a hunting scope.

Apparently, Zerotech are a rebranded Tasco or cheap Bushnell, or something like that.

I asked at my lgs gun shop about the Zerotech, and his reply was they are made in China.

I asked about the Meopta vs Zerotech........

He looked me dead in the eyes and said "Zerotech is made in China, Meopta is made in Europe"

Save the money on a Loopy to buy ammo, cleaning accessories, etc......

Under $1000, you will be hard pressed to find a better scope than Meopta. They manufactured the lenses for Zeiss conquest v4 ....PERIOD !!!

Just my $0.02.

Ask your dealer at your LGS where his Smart Phone is made ........any bet its made in China!!!
Lots of folk sneer and dismiss optics made in China, or the Phillipines .......just because they dont know any better.
I agree, there are some complete rubbish scopes made for a price - that are made in China. The same can said of early scopes made in Japan that were made to a price point.
The fact is that any entrepreneur with money can go to an optics manufacturer - be it Japan, China, Phillipines - and have a scope made to a price point - be it cheap or expensive.
Even the Euro "big boys" dont make all their scopes in-house - the Zeiss V4 is made in Japan - probably from components sourced from around the world!!

In my 30 years of hunting and shooting i have used most makes of scopes - European, Japanese, Phillipines, Chinese - but always stick to brands with a solid back up from an importer and dealer. I currently run quite a few Hawke Vantage and Endurance scopes on my hunting rifles , as well as some Euro glass on other rifles- and have no problems using either scope - be it made in Germany or China. Admittedly the Euro glass is a tad sharper and better in low light - talking about minutes here - and if thats what is important - i recommend the Europeans and high end Japanese glass. But for my needs, the Hawke's i run are not too bad at all. I tried them, liked them and use them .

For the record, i have owned and used Meopta Meopro, Meostar and ZD scopes - all spanking scopes for the money indeed (the ZD embarrasses some high end premium scopes easily!!)

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Oct 2019, 9:08 pm

4.5kg or thereabouts for the Lithgow and Meopta scope combo with ammo etc, that's a heavy outfit to be humping around those hills for big brown cows all day and scope with side focus ain't much use in that sort of terrain either.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Vicko » 18 Nov 2019, 3:13 pm

I'll be using it primarily from a vehicle for spotlighting foxes, and for long range target stuff. Deer will be the outlier. I'm a shade under 90kilo so I'm not overly fussed about an extra few hundred grams of scope for the rare stalk.

I figure that both the Nightforce NX8 4-32 and the Vortex PST Gen II 5-25 will cover both ends well enough (hunting and long range target work) as the reality is that most times at the range the guys wont get to use past 25x due to miraging. And the local range has electronic targets so I dont need to see my bullet holes. The Bushnell Elite Tac XRS II 4.5-27 mentioned is also certainly worth a look and seems to be discussed in the same circles from what I can find. So it should be considered. I havent looked through one of those yet.

Seems like the Vortex is about 95% of the scope for half the price at this point.
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wannabustbunnies » 18 Nov 2019, 10:14 pm

Don't discount the 3-15 PST Gen II if you are looking at its big brother. I run one on my 6.5 and previously had it on a 223.
Bit lower magnification and bigger field of view on the bottom end and 15x is still usable for targets depending how serious you are and the competition of course. I run mine between 10-12 power in PRS type shoots out to 400m and have used it spotlighting and varminting no worries.
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Vicko » 19 Nov 2019, 6:12 am

Mmm...
Had been considering the NX8 2.5-20 for a bit more at the lower end but reviews Ive read say its big brother has better glass.
The guys at the range basically said I'd need x20 at a minimum for out to 900 otherwise I'd end up s**ty with myself. If Zeiss did a 4-24 I'd consider it as I like their glass too, but they dont.. and Im assuming their 4.8-35 is big dollars...
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Nov 2019, 7:13 pm

Why don't you check out some long range competitions and see what they are using? I am betting you see a few Nightforce scopes and a bit more than 20x magnification.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Vicko » 21 Nov 2019, 6:39 pm

Of course. This isn't a dedicated LR target rifle though. Its a crossover. Although PRS sounds like fun and a 25x or 32x would be more than enough for that.
If I end up wanting a dedicated LR target rifle later I'd probably be looking at something like the Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Nov 2019, 7:41 pm

Vicko wrote:Of course. This isn't a dedicated LR target rifle though. Its a crossover. Although PRS sounds like fun and a 25x or 32x would be more than enough for that.
If I end up wanting a dedicated LR target rifle later I'd probably be looking at something like the Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x

So buy yourself a 3-9 Chinese scope for spotlighting for $60 and something decent with a bit of magnification for long rang work.

For the record, I have never had an issue with any of my Nightforce scopes.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Veetwin » 29 Apr 2021, 3:20 pm

I have on order a La102 308 and a Meopta 6-18 x 50. Also a Harris bi pod. Really looking forward to that. This will be my first 308 however have had previuosly a No4 303 and Yugo M48 which is a 8mm. Anyone got any recommendations on ammo for the La102 - something that has worked in yours? What break in do readers recommend considering Lithgow say the rifles are ready to go? Maybe controversially, I love the fact I have no "Red country" components in my rig. As I sold most of my stuff when I stopped last time, do you have any comments on hearing protection for the 308. I still have Peltor Tactical 6-S ear muffs and thought if i wear them and also ear plugs i may be on the right track. I would use them not turned on. (They may not work anymore anyway). Anyway cheers to all, and i would welcome any comments, regards Steve
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Apr 2021, 5:46 pm

Veetwin wrote:do you have any comments on hearing protection for the 308. I still have Peltor Tactical 6-S ear muffs and thought if i wear them and also ear plugs i may be on the right track. I would use them not turned on. (They may not work anymore anyway). Anyway cheers to all, and i would welcome any comments, regards Steve

I bought a pair of Peltor muffs many years ago, but gave up using them for shooting/hunting as they clatter against the cheek rests.
But,,,, for the record, they have since existed in my workshop and they are used there on a daily basis.
The electronic side of them still work as good as the day I bought them.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 29 Apr 2021, 6:03 pm

On my Sako 308 I went with vortex viper with the 5-25 X 50 FFP
EBR-2C (MOA) Reticle | 30 mm Tube
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 29 Apr 2021, 9:38 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
MontyShooter wrote:A big scope on the lithgow will be a heavy setup to walk around with. I'd be getting a 3-9 for the deer and something else for target stuff.

Spot on, I'd get a set of quick detachable mounts/rings and run two diff scopes for the intended needs, I too agree that rifle maybe a bit heavy to lug up and down hills all day but I guess give it a go and see how you find it (me personally I'd have two complete different outfits for the jobs at hand (yes more expensive but also more practicle) in real world conditions. :drinks:

+1 on this........

The LA102 isn't the most svelte rifle out there - i would look at a 2-7 x 32 or 3-9 x 40 (weighing around 350-450 grams) for hunting in a set of QD rings and for target work anything - depending on your budget - will work.

But for hunting - lighter is better - if your planning of doing hunting on foot.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Vicko » 28 Jun 2021, 9:59 pm

Gee whiz - didn't notice this thread was resurrected...
Time for an inventory update I think.

In the end, I picked up two new rifles. And have now got another on the way. lol

I scored an old model 70 featherweight in 30-06 that I put my Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15 on. It's just a lovely setup. That's my 'stalking anything' rifle.
I've also picked up an LA102 in .243 thats been dropped into an LA105 KRG chassis. That thing shoots way better than me and has been used for hitting steel and chasing foxes so far, but will probably see more range and PRS time (hopefully) than hunting. I'll be looking for a new scope for this one when I move my Pulsar Digex from it, onto my new rifle which is...
Another old model 70, this time an XTR heavy barrel 22-250, which will be my dedicated varmint rifle.

As for the new scope for the LA102.. not sure yet. I might stick the Razor HD LHT back on it for a bit, but I do like that scope on the 30-06. Weight really isn't an issue on the 102 setup and would in fact be helpful... so I might see if I can find something like a PST Gen2 or pickup a second hand Vortex Razor. Have heard good things about the Delta Javelin 4.5-30x56 too.
Vicko
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics