Magnetic barrel torch mount

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Magnetic barrel torch mount

Post by Shootermick » 08 Nov 2019, 1:59 pm

Just bought a smaller torch for my 22 for a little bit of bunny busting. Was going to get one of those magnetic barrel type mounts, but the bloke in the shop said he didn’t like them as they will affect accuracy. He said just to use the supplied clamp type onto the scope. Anyone have any opinions on the different mounting options? Which type is best?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Magnetic barrel torch mount

Post by Browning » 08 Nov 2019, 4:12 pm

What a load of crap.... Been using magnetic mounts for years and many a feral would argue against old mates outlandish statement if they could.
Buy one. Be happy.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 08 Nov 2019, 8:04 pm

just buy it and try it shootermick
everyone has an opinion just like everyone has an @rsehole :lol: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 08 Nov 2019, 8:22 pm

marksman wrote:just buy it and try it shootermick
everyone has an opinion just like everyone has an @rsehole :lol: :drinks:

I reckon I will. They’re only about 20 bucks, and I’m not exactly trying to shoot 1/2” groups anyway.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Nov 2019, 9:30 pm

G'day Shootermick mate I have just bought a Olight torch awhile back it came with a magnetic mount I have it on a 22-250 for shooting wild dog and mate i'm very happy with it so far I have knocked dogs out over 200 yds with it on so my opinion is I doubt whether it does affect accuracy
Member-Deleted

Post by Shootermick » 09 Nov 2019, 9:43 pm

So I picked up a magnetic mount today and put my torch in it tonight and waved it around in the dark tonight, didn’t fire it though. Light was really good through the scope, couldn’t fault it. Except as my 22 only has a 16” barrel the torch stuck out further than the barrel. No big deal, but I could see it being in the way and getting knocked off onto the ute floor while being picked up and put down etc. So I had another look at the clamp type scope mount. I stuck some thin rubber onto the inside of the end that will go onto the scope and put the torch in the top. Gave it a test wave around and it felt really good! Easy to find and push the buttons too. The rubber will protect the scope from scratches and also gives the whole torch and mount a little bit of flex so that any bangs on the torch shouldn’t alter the scope zero. In conclusion,I think I can see myself using both mounts, depending on which rifle I’m using at the time and the particular hunting situation.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Scopes, sights and optics