Zero Tech Vengeance

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Zero Tech Vengeance

Post by Shootermick » 21 Nov 2019, 3:45 pm

Zero Tech have been advertised everywhere it seems over the last month or so. I’m thinking about getting the Vengeance 4.5-18 x 40 for $349 and putting it on my Howa 6.5 Grendel. At the moment it’s got an older Vortex 6-18 x 44 on it, not a bad scope, but thick lines and pretty ordinary eye relief. Would the 40 mm gather enough light for dusk and shooting under a spotlight?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Zero Tech Vengeance

Post by wannabustbunnies » 21 Nov 2019, 6:29 pm

Shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as you aren't trying to use full magnification. Less light + high mag + smaller objective lens = smaller exit pupil for the light to make it through
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 21 Nov 2019, 10:07 pm

wannabustbunnies wrote:Shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as you aren't trying to use full magnification. Less light + high mag + smaller objective lens = smaller exit pupil for the light to make it through

Sounds good. I’ve got a Meopta 6-18x50 on my 223, and really like it, but just seem to leave it set mid range at about 12. Would probably set the ZeroTech up the same.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Nov 2019, 9:44 am

Why do you leave it on 12x, limited field of view or the image quality is poor?

I usually wind my scope back to 6x for hunting and wind the magnification up if the situation allows me to.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 24 Nov 2019, 6:22 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Why do you leave it on 12x, limited field of view or the image quality is poor?

I usually wind my scope back to 6x for hunting and wind the magnification up if the situation allows me to.

Good point you make there. I guess the answer is that I mainly use that rifle for kangaroos, and the distances all seem to be roughly about that 150 metre range, give or take a bit. 12 just seems to be where I have it set for that sort of shooting, dunno if it’s right or wrong, but it’s just where I’ve had it, not to say that I haven’t wound it up or down at times though.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 25 Nov 2019, 6:19 pm

Mick,
set up your scope so you achieve a 7mm exit pupil - thus under the lamp you will get the maximum light going into your eyeball !!

That why lots of pro roo shooters use 8x56 scopes (56mm objective lens divided by the 8 x mag = 7mm)

On say a 4-12x50 variable - have the scope set to around 7 x mag for night work - gives you the exit pupil close to 7mm.

C
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics